CHILDHOOD ADEM/MS
I'll warn you up front this is long but I'll try.  My 11 yr old son started vomiting and sleeping a lot November 22.  Thought it was the flu but kept sleeping more and difficulty waking him.  Took him to the dr. several times and said there is something very wrong!  All test came back fine and I continued to say something was wrong.  I am sure they thought I was crazy but I was not going to take no for an answer!  After many attempts, on January 1, 2011, I in not so many words hysterically took him to ER because he was screaming in back pain, having a difficult time urinating and walking.  ER dr. said "yep" something very wrong and admitted us.  After pain meds and rest we were released the next day and even suggested this was in his head and maybe Prozac would help.  Anyway...  The next day, I took him to ped. with stroke-like symptoms (unable to walk, talk, urinate, double vision and terrible headache) and I think he pretty much knew I wasn't crazy at that point.  Checked into hospital and Neurologist ran MRI and spinal tap.  Had multiple lesions on brain and spine.  Stayed 12 days and received 1000mg Prednisone IV x 5 days.  He improved, had kidney stone, improved and then rehab until Feb 5th.  Still not the same as before all of this but so much better.  Now started sleeping again, very emotional, slurred words and having tingling in legs, burning in right arm and wrist.  Says he feels like his vision is cut in half, feels like he is skipping over time (seizures?).  Went to Neuro yesterday (we live in a pretty big town but have little expertise with this and closest place with any child ADEM/MS is 7 hours).  Ran another MRI, VEP and see Opthalmologist again today.  This is crazy!   What does anyone out there think?  I don't want to think of MS but...  I also don't want ADEM again.  I feel like I'm not doing enough but don't know what else to do.  I look back and there were subtle signs (migraines, falling/tripping, nausea).  Anyone got any suggestions?
Hi there. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis is an immune mediated disorder of the brain, which occurs following a viral infection and vaccination, bacterial and parasitic infection. It is similar to multiple sclerosis since there is autoimmune demyelination. Therapy usually involves combination of methyprednisolone and immunoglobulins if they are ineffective separately. You need to follow a therapeutic regimen in accordance with your neurologist and be supportive to your child who is going through all this at this age. Take care.

Hi Dr. Sharma.  My child is still feeling chills and muscle weakness that he could not regain his walking ability after 1.5 weeks discharged from hospital (high dose steroid and taperred down until past Saturday.  He is still making baby steps forward, however, he is doing better by walking side way.  What is the chance for his thyroid function go low or malfunction?  or he will never be able to walk normal again?  I am so worry when the neurologist seemed to not knowing what else she could do for my child.  What should I do?  -Worryingmom10