CIPD? Guillain Barre'? Help!
First of all, I'll preface this by saying that my heart goes out to everyone on this board. When I compare my story to others, mine seems like a cakewalk. But I'm really confused as to what's going on. I'm 32 & a newly diagnosed diabetic (July 2007), but am in good shape, am slim, & work out daily. I'm on Metformin. I work part-time and we have two toddlers.

My symptoms started August 23. My toes/feet had been a little numb for years, which I now realize was likely a result of insulin resistance, but no burning/pain. On 8/23, the numbness spread to my legs; on 8/24 up my trunk & to my shoulders, then by 8/25 went down my arms & up my neck. Numbness was just on the outer layer of skin, but definitely present. Definite weakness in legs, up to knee. Went to my doctor, who ran several blood tests (kidney function, thyroid, vitamin B, etc.) and all were normal. Went to another doctor & a neurologist, who immediately suspected Guillain Barre' and ordered an MRI of the brain and cervical spine. Both normal. Nerve conduction studies revealed "early sensory neuropathy" in toes but everything else normal.

Followed up with yet another neurologist & he performed another nerve conduction study, at my request, in December '07. Sensory neuropathy had worsened considerably in feet, legs & hands, so did a lumbar puncture. It was normal, no protein. Now I'm scheduled for IVIG in a week.

My worst fear is that this could be caused by diabetes, but all 6 doctors I've been to have said that is very uncommon, especially for well-controlled diabetes. The numbness definitely does seem to go through periods of worsening, about once/month now. And when it worsens, I feel increased weakness in legs.But other than my symptoms, there are no physiological signs that point towards CIPD or Guillain Barre'. Both of these things seem much more extreme than what I have, but some of my symptoms seem to mimic them. Again, I feel really fortunate that I can still walk around & am not bed-bound, but this has been going on for 6 months now & has really taken its toll emotionally/mentally. I'm just confused... I will try the IVIG, but it seems to come with its own set of risks.

I'm really sorry this is so long! But if anyone has any ideas or thoughts to share, I'd love to hear them. I just wish I had a concrete diagnosis instead of a guess, which I know is all my neurologist can give me right now.