Neurology Expert Forum
CK Levels

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

CK Levels
Can you please explain what "CK Levels" are and what can cause them to lower or rise?  I have a relative who's CK level has risen significantly over the past months and they have not been able to determine the cause.  He did have Polio when he was a child.  He is in his late 50's now.  

They plan to biopsy a knee in the next week or so.

Thank you very much.
Dear Jeff:

When a muscle integrity is disrupted(muscle death in such cases as heart attack or ALS or trauma or..., infection such as a virus, or even a needle stick or birth) the muscle tissue releases an enzyme CPK.  So, it is a non-specific indicator of muscle compromise.  Usually, we need to know the history and symptoms to better understand why the level of CPK has risen.  I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
A related discussion, HIGH CK LEVEL OF CHILD was started.