COLD INTOLERANCE
I am 74 years old male who is unbelievably cold all the time. I feel like I am sitting in a tub of ice water. My bedroom stays at around 87 degrees and I have 4 blankets on me. Having my room this warm, of course, cause me to sweat. I have to change my blankets, sheets, etc at leat 3-4 times a day. I sleep on a large bath towel and one on my pillow. The pain is very bad. I hurt all over. I have been to 3 cardiologist, 2 endos, a rheumotologist, and see my internal medicine doctor on a regular basis. They all say they have never had a patient with my symptons. I had prostate cancer in 2003, treated with radiation and then had a heart attack and bypass surgery in 2004. About 4 months after my bypass is when I started feel cold. Someone suggested to me that I may have had a stroke in my hypothalamus. I can't find a lot of information on this. Does this seem possible? What are the treatments? I am desparate for help.
Hi.

Although there is some cold intolerance in older patients which reflects normal age-related physiologic changes, your clinical presentation does seem to suggest an underlying disorder causing your symptoms.

One common cause of cold intolerance is hypothyroidism which develops early and progressively worsens as time goes on. Since you have already consulted 2 endocrinologists, I would assume that this has already been ruled out.

Another probable cause of your condition is hypopituitarism, with the symptoms usually developing slowly and is dependent on the severity of the pituitary disorder. If a pituitary tumor is causing the cold intolerance, it is possible for some associated symptoms to present itself such as headache, bilateral temporal hemianopsia, loss of visual acuity, and possibly blindness.

A hypothalamic disorder can also cause cold intolerance and may even alternate with heat intolerance. This usually presents more suddenly and can also be associated with other symptoms such as increased thirst, appetite and urination, weight gain, visual disturbances, headache, and some personality changes.

Treatment of cold intolerance would depend on the etiology and can drug therapy or surgical (especially if a tumor is suspected).

Hope this helps.
Have you found out anything useful about your cold?
I am feeling an internal cold, and last night slept with 3 blankets, and covered everything but my hands and head. Still felt cold.
Hello!

No I am still cold. I am so cold that I don't want to get out of the house.
My wife wants to take me to Scott White Hospital in Temple Texas but I am afraid I will freeze. You know how  cold those waiting rooms and hospital rooms can be.

Just recently I have experienced cold flashes. They come on very sudden and I can hardly stand the cold feeling. I also have headaches with them.  A couple of months ago my wife called 911 because she thought I was having a seizure. The emergency room doctor kept asking me why I came in an ambulance. He never laid a hand on me. They gave me some pain shots and sent me home.

Seems to me that all types of doctors that I have been to know less about my problem than someone off the street. They look at me like I am stupid and do nothing!

We live in Texas and today the outside temperature was over 80 degrees. I had a 2 burner gas heater going and was covered with 4 blankets. That is how cold I am.

I hope your cold is just temporary.

Good luck!