Neurology Community
CONFUSED AND DISORIENTED

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

CONFUSED AND DISORIENTED

My mom has these temporary sporadic episodes where she gets disoriented and confused.  She knows where she is, but she is totally confused because everything looks "different and in the opposite side".  Its very strange.  She went walking to our downtown shopping center.  She is familiar with the area.  She went into the phone company to pay her bill and when she came back out to the street, she saw the buildings and stores in the wrong side...she gets confused and does not know which way is the correct way to come back home.  Last month she went to her sisters apartment. The same thing happened.  She was totally confused and was going to go in the wrong apartment.  SHE KNOWS where her sister lives, but got that episode which last about 30 to 40 seconds.  She knows she is in her sisters building and floor, but sees everything in the wrong side.  Im really worried.  What is this?  This has been happening over the years, happends every 4-6 months and lasts less than a minute.  I know is not Alzeimers nor Dementia. Her memory is fine.  She is 68.  She did a cat scan and MRI a few years ago and it was normal.
Hi there.

I'm not sure if we can totally rule out an Alzheimer's disease or other forms of dementia in her situation, since it is not only memory that is affected in these diseases, and memory has multiple facets and components as well.

Her long term memory may be intact (which is the last to go), but I believe there seems to be a problem with her immediate and short term memory.

Other possibilities would include small vascular problems in the brain (such as small strokes) that are too small to be detected by conventional scans.  It is best to have all of these possibilities evaluated and discussed with her neurologist.

Regards.