Neurology Expert Forum
CORTICAL DYSPLASIA

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

CORTICAL DYSPLASIA

Posted By Toni Kerce  on October 19, 1998 at 13:02:27:

My 6 year old son has recently been diagnosed with cortical dysplasia.  The EEG Report showed abnormal in waking and sleep due to asymmetric driving during photic stimulation (EEG did not show 3-per-second spike-and-wave discharges/ruled out petit-mal seizures, but can not exclude complex partial seizures).  The MRI report was as follows: FINDINGS: No signal abnormality is identified within the brain.  Myelination is appropriate for age.  There is asymmetric gyral formation in the paramedian parieto-occipital lobes with a prominent and questionable thickened gyrue on the right.  No other morphologic abnormalities are identified.  No mass lesions or areas of edema are seen.  The hippocampi are normal in appearance.  The ventricles, cisterns and sulci are normal flow voids.  The paranasal sinuses, mastoid air cells, and middle ears are well aerated except for several areas of minimal mucosal thickening.  IMPRESSION: Gyral asymmetry in the paramedian parieto-occipital lobes with prominent gyrus on the right.
My son displays the following symptoms: delayed speech, does not speak in full sentences/leaving out connective vocabulary,  repeating questions frequently, problems with fine motor skills/handwriting, migraines, "overexaggerated episodes of staring" since age 2 or 3, and is immature for his age.  During these staring episodes it extremely hard to get my son's attention, and when you do he does not have a clue as to what has gone on or is going on.  My son reads very well.  I have had one pediatric neurologist tell me and my husband that the Cortical Dysplasia could not possibly cause the problems which he is having, that he needed to be checked for ADD and that we needed to have his vision checked often.  We went for a second opinion with a pediatric neurologist who is very well respected in the Atlanta area, where we live, and he says that he believes the problems my son is having is definately related to the cortical dysplasia and possibly complex partial seizures which could be caused by cortical dysplasia.
Please help me, as I would like to know the answers the following questions, as this has been most frustrating in finding any information regarding cortical dysplasia: 1) Can cortical dysplasia cause the problems my son is having?  2) Is it common for complex partial seizures to go along with cortical dysplasia?  3) Is cortical dysplasia rare?  4) What other problems can cortical dysplasia cause, physically and emotionally?  5) Could it be in other parts of the brain which does not show up on the MRI?  6) Where the cortical dysplasia is located, what parts of the body does it effect?  7) Will any of the symptoms get worse?
I have a ton of questions, but I can't possibly ask them all now.  Please give me some direction as to where I can find more information and whether or not you have had other cases of cortical dysplasia with these type of symptoms.  Thank you for your time.
Toni Kerce