Neurology Community
CRAMPS
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

CRAMPS

Hi, my husband has recently been diagnosed with Focal Segmental Globularsclerosis which is is currently being treated for.  A severe problem he has is Cramps - when he walks - he gets cramps, when he uses his hands - he gets cramps, they are absolutely agonising for him.  His doctor says that the cramps are not part of his chronic kidney disease, they are something that she doesnt know and has now referred him to see a neurologist - he is taking magnesium to try and help with them, but that isnt working.  Please do you have any idea what it could be.  ???? I have read that quenine helps with cramps, but because of all his medication have not tried it - could you suggest something that would help please.??????????? thank you in anticipation.   Hazel
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
341137_tn?1287308643
Hi, further to my other post regarding CRAMPS, I need to add that the cramps have been occurring for six months, he has lost 10 kilos in a short time and his arms and legs have gone very thin and week.  Hazel
Blank
368886_tn?1278962315
Hello.

Is your husband on dialysis for renal failure ? Dialysis is sometimes associated with muscle cramps.

Muscle cramps are commonly caused by mineral deficiency in blood. Have you checked his blood report ?

It will be wise to discuss this with your husband's nephrologist. A neurologist's opinion can also be sought, if required.

Regards
Blank
341137_tn?1287308643
Hello, thank you for your reply to my questions.  My husbandis not on dialysis for renal failure.  The treatment he is on for FSGS are cortisones, lasix, Remipril and many other pills which I do not know the names of at this moment.  Apparently he is at the chronic stage of this disease and attempts are being made to reduce his cholesterol, blood pressure, proteinura.  We will ask his doctor more about his blood report - could you please advise us which minerals could be deficient in his blood.  We are awaiting an appointment with the Neurologist and are seeing the Nephrologist again next week.  Thank you once again.  Hazel
Blank
368886_tn?1278962315
Hello.

Chronic renal disease can lead to a deficiency of minerals like calcium, potassium and sodium. Though magnesium deficiency also causes muscle cramps, it is not very commonly found with renal disease.

There should be a regular monitoring of these in blood. Please discuss this with the Nephrologist and take any inputs he has to give.

Regards

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank