Neurology Community
CT Myelography vs MRI

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

CT Myelography vs MRI

I am a 50 yr old male with progressive leg weakness since Nov, 2004.  I have severe spine osteoporosis from an undetermined cause.  My lumbar vertebrae are at 3.55 and 3.77 for two vertebrae and similar scores for the other two.  My hip is normal bone density.  I went to Mayo Clinic in 2004 to find a cause for the osteoporosis but none was found.  I have degenerative disc disease and arthritis of the spine.  On MRI, there is no spine stenosis or nerve impingement.  All levels from cervical to sacral have been imaged.

I do want to mention that I also have parenchymal volume loss of the brain and a brain lesion perpendicular to the lateral ventricles.  Evoked potentials are normal although the tech was having much trouble getting a signal in the spine.  My orthopedic surgeon has suggested a CT Myelography to  see if any nerve impingement shows up, but my neurologist said the CT Myelography is inferior to the MRI and it would be an unnecessary test.

In your opinion, is a CT Myelography warranted or would any nerve impingement have shown up on MRI???
Avatar dr m tn
Hi.

Even though the CT myelography is quite sensitive, the MRI is better in terms of what is called as interobserver reliability. Hence you may go with your Neurologist's advice. But please keep in mind, this is an individual opinion.

Regards

DrAbhijeetMD