Neurology Expert Forum
Calcium on the Brain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Calcium on the Brain

For the past 4 weeks my head has been hurting. It started on the left side behind my ear, it hurt to even touch my hair, now my whole head hurts. Sometime's it feels kinda numb, and other times it just realy hurts, to cough or move my head or even touch my head. Went to dr. they did a ct scan found a mass in the back of my head, then did an mri and determined it was a calcium deposit. They rueled out a tumor and a bleed, and stroke now suggest we see a nurologist. Can you tell me what this might be, because I have no insurence to pay for a bunch of different tests I would like to narrow it down some.
Thank You
Joe Lesman
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There are many different kinds of headaches, and each one of them have different characteristics which help us diagnose them as a specific kind. This in turn helps us prescribe appropriate treatment, since they are treated differently.

I do not have enough information from your history to accurately judge the kind of headache you may have. You now seem to have what we call a chronic daily headache.This simply means a headache that you have every day with out fail, and nothing seems to help it.

Migraines are usually one sided headaches, associated with nausea, vomiting, and aversion to light and sound. Sometimes if people have a history of migraines, and they don't seem to respond to treatment, they can convert in to chronic daily headaches. At other times, chronic daily headaches can start on their own, without any previous history of headaches, and are called new onset chronic daily headaches.

Getting a CT and an MRI was the right thing to do, especially if you never had a headache before, since we always have to worry about things like tumors with new onset headaches. Calcium present in the brain itself , without evidence of tumors, would not result in headaches. Most of us with age can develop calcification in our brains.

In much older individual ( > 70 years) and mostly in females, a disease called temporal arteritis causes headaches,associated with scalp tenderness, pain with chewing and more serious problems like vision loss.It is due to inflammation of an artery running in the forehead, the temporal artery I highly doubt that you have this entity. However if you are in the right age group this would need to be considered.

I agree that it is appropriate for you to see a neurologist to diagnose the correct type of headaches that you have. I don't think you will need any further testing for now. There are many medications out there which can treat these headaches. Initially you may need an infusion to actually break the headache, before you go on to pills. It is necessary to treat these headaches to improve your quality of life. Also a neurologist would be able to do a full neurological exam and be able to assess that there is nothing else sinister associated with these headaches.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!