Neurology Expert Forum
Calf Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Calf Pain

Posted by gary on July 17, 1999 at 09:16:35
I have an 18 yr. old daughter who has had mustle pain in the legs since she was 5 .  doctors wrote it off as growing pains.  She still has this pain, it is located in the calf mustle in both legs.  Pain seems to worse at night while sleeping.  It isn't constant every day.  No it's not from exercise..   Could some one please give me an idea what the problem may be.
Thankyou

Posted by CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS on July 17, 1999 at 14:48:29
Dear Gary:
Sorry to hear about your daughter's problem.  Does your calf pain mostly occur at night?  wake her up from sleep?  Does the pain happen mostly during the late afternoon after activity?  Does she have cramping in the calves?  Are there other muscles in her body that give her pain?  Does she have migraine headaches?  Other than this, is she in perfect health?  Does she have problems having daytime sleepiness?  Does she snore at night while asleep?  If you can give me some of this information I might be able to help you alittle better.
Assuming that your daughter is otherwise perfectly normal without another neurological condition, no family history of muscle disease, etc.  She may have something called restless leg syndrome.  This is a condition where the leg feels like it has to move, or a tightness in a particular muscle in the leg and the patient has to move it.  Often it is the calf muscle and this can cause pain.  It would happen most of the time at night, and lead to sore calf muscles and poor sleep.  If she is very active, it might be due to calcium deficiency.  So it is hard to tell with just the description of calf pain.  Let me know some more details and I will get back to you.
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro MD

Posted by Gary on July 18, 1999 at 14:21:45
The answers you asked for..  Does the calf pain mostly occur at night?  Yes
                             Does it wake her up at night?              Yes
                             Does she have cramping in the calves?      Yes
                             Are there any other problem muscles?       No
                             Does she have migraine headaches?          Yes
                             Is she in good health other wise?          Yes
                             Day time sleepiness?                       Yes
                             Snore at night?                            No
                             Pain after late afternoon activity?        No
I hope these answers can help...    Thanks very much for your help..

Posted by CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS on July 18, 1999 at 17:40:07
Dear Gary:
I think that your daughter may have restless leg syndrome.  What you have answered is very characteristic of this disorder.  A sleep test will verify the disorder.  It is easily treated and usually the medication will help, both for the calf pain and sleep.  I would see your neurologist and tell him/her the things that you have mentioned and I would be suprised if another diagnosis is given.  The medications we have used are a tricyclic antidepressant, epileptic medications etc.  I hope that with this your daughter will get a good night's sleep and relief of her calf pain.
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro MD