Neurology Community
Can Full Blood Count Test Detect Cancer?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I had a full blood count test (among other general blood tests) done as I have not been feeling well lately, and am starting to get worried that I may have some sort of cancer. But my results came back perfect and my doctor told me that if I did have some sort of a tumor or cancer some of my results would have shown something suspicious (i.e: an elevated white blood count). Is this true? My symptoms for the last three months have been neck pain / pressure which comes and goes, pain behind my nose which comes and goes, a feeling of pressure in the roof of my mouth which comes and goes, occasionally burning eyes and a burning feeling up my nose, and sometimes a full feeling on top of my head and a lsight headache. It feels like the begining of a cold, but when I wake up the next day I feel perfect, only for the symptoms to gradually get worse as the day progresses. Then once again, when I wake in the morning I feel perfect, until I start to feel like its all coming back again. I have been to see several doctors. One said infected adenoids (adenoids), one said tension headache and another said maybe sinus blockage / infection. I am starting to wonder if its something in my neck and the pain is referring to my face??
I have similar issues and the doctor i saw at the headache center wrote a prescription for "nasacord" (sp?). She said it is anti-inflammatory and although a steroid does not get into your blood stream. A natural alternative to try is "sinus buster" you can get it off of Amazon. This might help the sinus type discomfort you are feeling.
It is true. If you had some type of cancer, it would show something in your bloodwork. There would be abnormal counts, usually white, but sometimes red and/or platelets.
I know exactly how your felling,except i have a swelling under my chin,but your symptoms are the same as mine and my blood tests all came back ok..i now am awaiting an appointment to the ent specalist unit...i wondered the same,if any cancer would show up in the bllod count!!
hi, i have a similar problem i have had swollen lymph nodes, painful neck, earache, and have been on antibiotics twice in the last 4 weeks. at first they said i had a throat infection, then i got oral thrush so was treated for that, now i have a water infection, so the antibiotics have been fighting the infections but my symptoms in my neck dont go away.  i went to my dentist as i have also noticed a small lump under my tongue whilst i have been poorly these past few weeks, he has referred me to the hospital now to see someone there to find out what this lump is.  I also have had a fever for past few weeks, tiredness, the painful neck and generally feeling unwell.  I had a full blood count done a couple of weeks ago and a test for glandular fever and apparently everything came back fine.  they also did a swab in my throat and that is fine.  now i dont know what ot think is wrong.  i keep panicking thinking it may be cancer. and i am very scared!!!  but would this show up in the full blood count or not?  Now i just have to wait for my appointment at the hospital.
Hello, I just joined the forum and was looking up some things that I feel are wrong with me and came across your post from many moons ago.  I have these same issues ( I mean same exact issues) and was wondering if you ever got this resolved and what you did?  Its funny I've been telling my doctor and all she says is Allergies.  Some days its worse thatn others and some I have no issues.  More so than not i have this just about every day and am beginning to get pretty worried, I have 3 children 1 of which is pretty young and would hate for me or the docs to miss something and me not be here for her.  If you can shed some light that would be great.  Thanks!
my brother in law had a cbc full blood count. he had a large number of white blood cells in his labs. they thought he had lukemia. they did a bone marrow biopsy or what ever they call it when they test his bone marrow. but the test came back that he didnt have lukemia. they put him on meds to control his blood cells. but then the red cells became out of wack either too high or too low when put on the medication. im not sure what its called. all im saying is if you get a high result of white blood cells in the labs dont panic yet. it may be nothing. so yes to answer everyones question if you have a lot of white blood cells or something not right  in your labs it could be a sign of cancer. so if your labs came out normal your fine.
after reading the initial post of various symptoms,headache, sinus, pressures, irratated eyes,which sound very similar to the effects of mold or mildew exposure. may want to research. wont show on any tests. mentioned when you wake up you are fine. do you spend your days else where? i experienced very similar symptoms while renting a house. when i was away for the day i was fine. once at home with in a few hours i would feel symptoms. after an extent of time symptoms worsened and increased. it was nasty.
Iv bin Not well for 9 months now. It's started with a little pain in my head when driving I then felt drained and down 1 side if body pins and needles and in face then started in burning in my head, my doctor sent me to c a consultin at hospital thought I ad a stroke, did tests and brain scan I didn't, when i feel bad I get a rash everywhere my joints av started hurting now and since Christmas day Iv bin sick and ended up in A and E they did blood tests come back normal I tav also seen neurolist who did blood test only thing he found was I ad low count of wer ur anumune sytemn is fightin nervous sythem I can't go on much longer with all this. Is this happenin to any 1 else
In response to the last post, I know exactly how you feel. I don't have the same symptoms as you but I have been ill and not feeling right for several months now. I know my own body when its not well and numerous trips back and forth the doctor has revealed nothing. 3 blood test have been done and shown nothing! I have had chronic diarrhea for the past 4 days so my doctor has taken a stool sample and a urine sample which will hopefully show something. There is nothing worse than looking and feeling ill but not knowing what is causing it. Im not giving up though and you shouldn't either, there is a answer out there somewhere.
I am in the same boat.In last 3 months I have been through 3 blood tests and 2 ultra sound and all came back fine, I had few swollen lymph nodes ( which are gone currently) night sweat, body pain , weakness etc some scary symptoms.But nothing is showing up in report. I have been through several doctors and one specialist and they all feel I am little low in iron ( not too much) and everything else is normal. I don't know how it is possible!!

Unfortunately I have read and heard cancer is only obvious when there is big mass or tumour found and they can do biopsy..till then wait and watch!! How pathetic!!
4 the last couple of months ive been getting a stinging pain in my calf ive been the doctors twice about it and had all blood tests done which all came back fine but lately ive been feeling ill and gone off my food im going back to tho doctors tomoz as i think i have something bad but would this have shown up on the tests? I am a hypercondriate and my partner says its all in my head! Please someone help and give me advice!
Read up on fibromyalgia
when I read all of your posts I feel that there are many of us in the same boat. I have been having so many issues in my body since last Nov (2010) and already been to 2 specialists and nobody is 100% sure. The rhemotologist said it could be some auto imune disease and there is no cure for it. He prescribed something but also said it may or may not work..WOW!! Now I am so much gastro issue that is unblieveable. All the time something is going on  my tummy and waiting for GI appointment. All blood count look good but I am feeling good...3 ultrasound s done and nothing found....why we have to wait for an obious tumor to pop up through the skin and then not only me , any doc can diagnose my disease!!
I have had swollen lymphnodes in my neck for like six years I finally convinced my doctor to do a blood count she told me the test results came back fine that if I had any type of infection or cancer my blood work would have been off is this true?

Looking at this forum has at least helped me by showing me that I am not alone, I wonder if there is a virus/bacteria or something going around?

I have had terrible tingling and pains in my neck,arms, and groin (lymph glands). Nothing been found yet and that's after 2 months of this going on.

Just hoping it will go as quickly as it came and doesn't become something sinister.

Best wishes to all,

Ian
White blood cells and red blood cells and platelets are measured with a full blood count. Providing these look ok, I dont think u should have worries of cancer
Going through the same thing.  Swollen, sensitive lymph nodes in my neck, mostly under the jaw line.  Got my blood work back, everything is normal.  Now they're sending me to get a soft tissue CT scan of my neck.  He told me he thinks it's an infection due to my wisdom teeth (I have all four of them still), but they're going to do the scan just to make sure.  
Some of you sound like you should look into Lyme Disease. You should find an LLMD. Check out canlyme.com
Hi Skelly2
I have had these symptoms the same as your self for a few years now but the doctors have found nothing as yet am off for my blood results this morning so as yourself i hope its nothing bad will keep you informed .....
Its along time since you wrote this post, I hope you have found the cause or your health has improved. If not your symptoms are very similar to mine, after many perfect blood tests I demanded a CT scan of my head they found I have Hydrocephalus ( fliud on the brain)
After many tests the Neuro team have decided not to operate ( by inserting a shunt) as they think I am one of the rare but functioning Hydro patients.
If you havent already demand a brain scan.
As for years I just felt like I was getting a head cold. I still get the sympoms but now I know what it is.
I have the same exact problem and its nice to see Im not the only one! I have an impacted wisdom tooth that got infected.  After a round of Amox I noticed a swollen node under the tooth.  But I had no idea if it had been there previous to the infection or not. A month or so after the infection went away (but swollen node still there) I started getting really bad headaches.  They were really terrible for a stretch of a few days to the point it was giving me massive anxiety attacks because I was convinced I had something wrong with me like a tumor, anuerysm, etc.  Well the severe headache subsided but I ALWAYS have a dull headache that usually peaks at some point during the day.  I also always feel so tired and weak. Ive been having some crampy/sharp shooting pains in my chest and sometimes my vision goes weird like I am crossing my eyes for a few seconds. I also get a sensation of tons of pressure in my head, ears or face from time to time. I went to the doc, had some bloodwork that they said came back normal.  I also had an ultrasound on the swollen node, which came back as showing soft tissue which they say is not indicative of a tumor.  They put me on another round of Amox to see if the node gets smaller.  It has gotten smaller, but not gone completely.  But all the other symptoms are still there.  Im wondering if these headaches can be caused by impacted wisdom teeth.  I wonder if I have them removed if the symptoms will reside. The weird thing is my tooth and jaw are not sore.  The swollen node doesnt even feel sore unless you press on it really hard. I just dont have the money to have them removed right now. Im afraid to death of having a tumor.  Its so frustrating not being able to know what is wrong!!
it might be a trapped nerve i have pains in my side chest and weak arms
I was wondering whether to post anything or not but i am getting desperate now...I have been having a swollen lymph nodes for the past six months..it started just on the right side of my neck and it was very painful but reasonably small it went on until i couldn't move my neck ...so i went to see my GP and was told that it will go down and that it is probably just an infection. The trouble is that it didn't. I started experiencing very sharp pain in the ears and the left side of neck is swollen and painful too, as are the back of my neck and head.When the ear pain started i saw a doctor again and was given ear drops which didn't work so i went back. Currently my whole neck is swollen and kind of stiff. The nodes don't feel like nodes but like a mass,hard and non moving. I have been feeling week, tired and quite lethargic but have always thought that it is because I have a son and am pretty much running around with his all the time. I had a blood tests done but they didn't tell me what they are testing for and was supposed to see my GP again at the end of this week to discuss the results, however I got a call from the GP practice and was told that my appointment was cancelled and I have to go again in two weeks time to have a full blood count test done. When I asked "why", the receptionist told me that she is not medically competent to give me that information.Do you guys have any idea what might be going on?
I had a blood work done in October a year ago, and I was checked for possible Cancer and everything else. I knew I had bulging disk in my neck, and severe pain from that. But, I was referred to a pain management Dr, and was sent for 2 more MRI's. Now I know I have bulging disk at (C5-6, C6-7, T8-9,T12-L1, and the scariest of all is a large mass on T10-11). I have an appointment on Nov 21st with Neurosurgeon to discuss the mass. I am so scared, because I have been told by my Pain management Dr. that if I don't have surgery, that I will be paralyzed or can die. Now knowing I could also have cancer?? But, my blood work showed no signs of cancer. Please, I am asking for prayers that this will not be Cancer.
Do not feel bad, my wbc has been steady at 14 which is high, but my whole right side of my body is in a weird state of constant pain idk what to do anymore it is at 11 now- after a7th er visit now I have lower small intestine pain and fear of toumer cause of the 3 ct scans 4xrays hydra and galium scan why am I suffering. Give me an answer som1