Neurology Community
Can L1-2 disc herniation cause hip pain ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am a 56 yr,. old woman who had spinal fusion at L4-5 level in '98. That doctor botched my surgery by putting in back cages that were misplaced and too big for my spine, therefore, caused massive herniations from L3 to S1. In 2000 after many doctor opinions they all agreed that I needed rods on both sides of my spine and cross rods. During that surgery they removed bone from my right hip near the spine.  However, in the last few months the pain where the bone was removed has gotten unbearable. I can not sit, stand, bend or walk for more then a few minutes before the pain is unbearable and I started getting sharp shooting pains from the lumbar region into my hip and buttocks.  Ibuphrophen doesn't help anymore. I went for an MRI and my Dr. told me that I have a herniation at L 1-2 level (2 levels above where the rods and cross rods stop).  Recently the shooting pains has deminished pretty much but the pain where the rods are and especially where the bone was removed from my hip in 2000 is killing me. I can't walk, sit, bend over or stand for more then an couple minutes without pain.  I have had 2 epidural shots which only worked for about 24 hours and then the pain is back.  My Dr. said the MRI showed disc herniation at
L1-2  and wants to do a laminectomy on L1-2 but I'm not sure if that will relieve the lumbar and hip pain.  WHAT DO YOU THINK??  Basically, what I'm asking is can a disc herniation at L1-2 level cause pain in the right hip area next to the spine somewhere around the L3 to L5 level OR is the increased pain in that area possibly caused by calcium build up or arthritis OR can the muscles or nerves in this area be associated with a disc herniation at L1-2 ?  I don't want to have the surgery on L1-2 if it will not help the hip pain.  Keep in mind that I have had pain in that same hip area since my rod surgery in 2000 - it has just become unbearable to the point I can not get around, drive or work and financially that is killing us. When  I asked my Dr. about the increasing pain in the hip area he said he can't do anything about that and would not discuss it any further.
I look forward to any insight to my problem that you can give me.  Time is short though since my Dr. will be scheduling my surgery for the beginning of January for a laminectomy at L1-2 level.  
It sounds like you had a bone graft from your hip to perform a fusion. Chronic pain in that area is a complication of the surgery. Most surgeons are now using cadaver bone due to the problems with using your own bone. Your Dr. is right-nothing can be done. However, shooting pains in buttocks/legs sounds like sciatica, which is compression of the nerve from your disc problem. If trying all conservative measures doesn't work, surgery may be an option. It is a difficult decision and you have to weigh risks with your present quality of life and see good neuro or ortho spinal surgeon to make an informed decision. I understand your pain. It *****.   Good Luck.
Thank you very much for your question; although it is quite hard for me to give you a precise opinion here without being able to examine you, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern. In slipped disc or disc prolapse conditions (L1-2) symptoms may originate due to nerve root pressure, pressure on the spinal cord and pressure on the tail bone. Common symptoms could be paralysis of muscles, pain radiating to the arms or legs/hips, leg pain and numbness, tingling, or weakness. Warning symptoms can include loss of control of the bladder function, paralysis & spasticity of both the legs. If you are suffering continuous weakness and notice reduced strength of muscle bulk in leg, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away. Further referral to a physiotherapist for spinal exercises could be beneficial and may produce relief of symptoms. Hope this helps. Take Care & Stay Healthy!!!

Thank you for the insight. I guess I will get the next epidural and if that does not work I will have the surgery. I can't live like this, I'm too active and sitting around in pain and not being able to go to work is driving me crazy.  The MRI report for L1-2 read as follows: " At the L1-2 leve, there is a broad-based disc bulge with a moderate degree of spinal stenosis (whatever that is) and a downward disc herniation that is more prominent to the left of the midline than right. There is moderate left-sided foraminal narrowing (whatever that is) which might affect the exiting left L1 nerve root.  All the nerve roots at this level are displaced posteriorly and the surrounding CSF (whatever that is) is significantly effaced." (whatever that means).

In the 'Impression" portion of the report it states the following about L1-2:  
A new disc herniation and a broad-based disc bulge is seen at L1-2 causing moderate to moderately severe overall central canal stenosis and moderate left-sided forminal narrowing.

PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT ALL THIS MEANS.

Thank you very much for your expert input,

Can you explain what all of this means and if it sounds like doing the laminectomy my doctor mentioned would eliminate my pain ???

Can you explain what all of this means and if it sounds like doing the laminectomy my neorologist mentioned would eliminate my pain ???
Thank you for your question again. In short, your MRI report suggests that you have a new disc bulge at L1-L2 area and if we clinically correlate this, it could be the prime reason of your painful symptoms/irritating the nerve roots. I hope that laminectomy (surgery for such disc herniation ) may be a good option to provide relieve in your symptoms. Further referral to a physiotherapist for spinal exercises could be beneficial and may prevent recurrence of symptoms. Hope this helps. Take Care & Stay Healthy!!!
Thank you so much for your information and guidence. You've expertise has been very helpful.

Thank you again - and I hope you have a great day :)