Neurology Community
Can a small focal cord syrinx cause symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I was in an auto accident a couple of months ago and was treated for whiplash by a chiropracter for about two weeks (10 visits) after the accident.  I was rearended by a pick up truck.  My family doctor just prescribed medicines and said the chiropracter would probably be helpful.  At first the treatments seemed to help the pain in my neck and lower back, but the pain would always come back.  I started having muscle weakness in my arms, hands and legs.  Went back to my gp and she ordered an MRI of the cervical and lower back.  
MRI results showed a bulging disc in lower back and bulging disc in cervical c5-c6 and a focal cord syrinx at c5-c6.
They sent me to a neurosurgeon discuss the results.  Neurosurgeon basically told me that the syrinx was to small to be causing any symptoms.  I have been having extreme muscle weakness in my legs especially in the evening hours and it is progressively getting worse.  I am scheuled for an EMG next week, but basically just wanted to know if  this extreme weakness could be coming from something else.  I am getting a little weary and would just like an opinion from another expert.  Thanks for any input.
Hi....there r several schools on this.....and of course u will have nay sayers....but, if u get to a specialist that handles this condition, syringomyelia or syrinx u may find a different viewpoint.

Many with a syrinx are monitored bcuz if the syrinx gets too large it  can cause significant damage and problems.

I would suggest u see a NS that specializes in chiari and syringomyelia.

Ur bulging disk could very well be playing a part also......an EMG will tell u if u have a nerve or muscle issue....not a comfortable test......

MedHelp has a chiari forum where many have chiari and a syrinx and u may want to talk to someone with this same issue.

DO u know if ur syrinx is aquired or congenital?....I know it was found after an accident, but many times it could be there from birth and not found until an event like this.

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
As selma pointed out the Syrinx can be Congenital or post-traumatic, the normal practice is depending on the size & location and the symptoms you have is to monitor your condition.
First you need to find out what has caused the syrinx formation, it is often accoceated with Chiari (pronounced key ree) Malformation....

people with a syrinx need to be aware that they maybe loosing the ability to feel hot and cold in there hands and the risks of suffering burns accocated with this loss of feeling
The bulging disk could also be causing some nerve issues that may warrant further investigating

I have been advised by my Neurosurgeon that manipulation is not good for people with syringomyelia as it may do more damage than good....
as selma pointed out there is a Chiari/Syringomyelia group here on MedHelp so pop over if you wish to talk to others with this condition :)

Ray
Hi! I just joined but I'm not seeing any recent posts. Is this group still active
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. Thanks for posting in. I understand that there have been no recent posts in this particular discussion where you posted but the forum, the neurology forum is regular and active. You are very welcome to post your neurological health related queries over on this forum. We would try best to do justice to your apprehensions. I hope this clarifies your doubt. Take care.