Neurology Community
Can an EMG cause nerve Damage

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Can an EMG cause nerve Damage

On 6/13/2008, I had a second EMG study. I was fine through the nerve study, but when the doctor put the needle into my leg for the muscle part, I screamed and felt like something was shooting through my leg, pulsating. I could not believe the pain I was in. The doctor was going to stop the test.  I needed him to continue since I have had a pain shooting through the front of my right leg for the past 3 years and nothing I have done has helped. I had a bi-later framinotomy last October, and still had the pain, then I went through 7 1/2 weeks of Spinal decompression and still had the pain. The first EMG study showed nothing, I was in pain afterwards. I was told that the nerve was irritated and it would be fine. Which it was later. This EMG study was different I called the physician after a couple of days to  tell her that I was in extreme pain from the EMG, and they put me on Neurontin 600 mg a day. It did not touch the pain. I called back two days ago to tell them that I had a numbness started in my foot area going up my leg. I also have a spot on the side of my leg that if you touch it, it radiates down my foot. The pain is unbelieveable. I have actually cried to get up out of bed in the morning. There answer was: " take 1200 mg neruontin this week and 1800 mg next week".  First of all, I could hardly function on 600 at one time, so I separated it into 300 2x a day. They want me to take 600 mg 3x a day. The worse part of the whole thing is, it doesn't touch the pain, just my head.  Now, My question is, "Is it possible that the EMG person hit a nerve in my leg?", and if so, what can be done to help it? I can't stand it anymore, It has been 2 weeks, and it is actually getting worse day by day, and no one will listen to me.  
Did you ever receive a response to this? My wife had an EMG performed two weeks ago and she is experiencing severe pain in both areas where the tests were done. The doctors tell her that this is impossible and that it is mental, but she has difficulties standing let alone walking, and her symptoms appear to worsen each day. Thank you.
Your conditions are very similar to my husband's complaints. He had an EMG about a month ago and now has severe bilateral leg pain. His doctor also put him nuerotin with no results except to make him tired and have a fuzzy head.  No relief from pain and the worst part is his doctor told him it was all in his head and that he never heard of pain after an EMG. If anyone has found an answer to this problem please post. I'm sure this has happen to more than 3 people. Thank you
I had the emg on my arms. I was freaked when he said "ok now got to do the neck". Now after more than 12 hrs later i have trouble laying comfortably and a headache more to the right side. It hurts to lay any position. I looked up for side effects and i keep getting "there is none"....help
It has been 2 months since I had a EMG Test done to find out if I had nerve damage due to a shooting pain that I was having throughout my body for the past year.  Shortly after the EMG Test which was given at the VA Hospital in West L.A. I have experienced days that I can barely get out of bed, it is also difficult for me to even walk short distances without having pain throughout my entire body radiating mostly from the neck down.  I don't know what could have possibly went wrong that I am worse off now than I was before I even had this test done.  I am so disappointed and I believe that there had to be some major damage done which is apparently not discussed or reconized by the Doctor's/Interns that perform this type of procedure.  I am seeking legal advise and I don't want them to just offer me medication to medicate the pain, I want answers.   If there is anyone that can offer solutions or advise please post.  Thank-You, and for all of the people whom has experienced pain and discomfort after the EMG procedure, I hope that you may recieve the help that you are seeking as well.  K.A.W.
I had an EMG and NCS done on all 4 extremeties  Monday and the test was not painful, uncomfortable at times, but not painful. I felt fine until that night. The next morning was even worse. I had a shocking feeling in my pinky and ring finger on my right hand as well as some muscle pain. My back hurts worse than it did before going in (which is why I had the test done was due to all over back pain and almost constant muscle spasms caused by advanced DDD) My legs feel weak and ache so bad worse than ever before. I haven't called the neurologist yet, but plan to in the morning to let him know of the symptoms. All I take is Baclofen for the muscle spasms as far as with pain. I was in tears an hour ago not only from the pain, but the frustration! I'm 35 years old, have been dealing with back issues since age 25 no accidents or reason to cause pain nothing seems to help! I have also found others who have had pain for days to months after having these tests done. I'm hoping it will taper off and go away in the next few days, but not feeling any better since initial pain began! So glad to have found others with problems after emg testing too. Not that I am happy you have your pain, but that I'm not imaging it or making it worse on myself.
Thought I would mention I am new to this and the forum world and this one post has helped me tremendously!
I had an Emg in my left arm 2 weeks ago.  I have been extreme pain since with that arm.  I can't sleep nights at all and the pain radiates through my arm..  It is like a stabbing knife pain.  It hasn't stopped yet.  It is so sore even to touch near my wrist where it was bruised for 2 weeks and is barely going away. I called the doc and they're trying to say it is not the EMG.  I know it is b/c I never had this pain beore. The doc says it wouldn't last that wrong. I am not going to do an EMG in my other arm now.  I am afraid they damaged my nerve or muscle.
Hi, I had an EMG four weeks ago on my right arm as I am still in severe pain after having had a major full tear rotatator cuff operation both front and back two years ago. My arm hurts severely from my shoulder blade to my three fingers which I don't have much use of. My arm also hurts down my bicep into my eldow and down my arm to my wrist.The EMG caused severe pain instantly in both arms and has added to the problem. It has made the problem worse than ever and now both arms are affected.
I had an  EMG to evaluate carpel tunnel and ever since have had a sharp burning pain inbetween the knuckles on my thumb which occurs whenever I lightly brush the tendon on the lower part of my thumb. I called the doc who says he has never heard of this. It is clearly related to EMG as I've never had anything like this before and it feels similar to the pain that then needle caused when placed in the side of my thumb.
Wow I'm so glad I went to look this up. I also had a emg done about 3 weeks ago on my left leg. I had my right leg done almost 2 months ago, so when I went in for my left I already knew what to expect. I don't know what happen but when she put the needle around my knee it was ok but when she put the needle in my calf area it shot such a awful pain on that whole left side that I felt like I was paralized from that side . She stop and took the needle out and was rubbing that area for a minute and then she did the other side of my left calf and the same thing happen. She stop the whole test because she said that I was in to much pain to continue. Since then I have had neck pain  and lower back pain and fingers hurt. Now I an off work and going in to get an epidural done for nerve damage that I already had but has gotten worse since this test was done. Any Attorney reading this we can all sure need some legal advice please.
I am a Veteran and I'm having an EMG done in Dec.  Did your pain ever go away (from the EMG) ????
I had the test done before my back surgery(decompression on L4/L5) I'm still in pain,the doctor has scheduled another test,after reading all the bad feedback,don't know if I want to have the test done.
I also had an emg done 2 weeks ago on my left area and leg.  At one point I was in so much pain I was sobbing and the doctor just kept going.  In my left forearm there was a burning shooting pain that was so strong I could not stand it.  After all of that they said the results were normal.

Now I have numbness in my forearm, along with weakness and pain in my hand and thumb.  I have never had this before.  I am very scared that permanent damage has been done.  I cannot even hold my 2 year old on that side or I will drop her, and she is very small.  I sincerely regret having this test done and never will again.

I also could not find any n formation on adverse side effects and the doctor said he has never heard of such a thing, take an Advil.  I am really angry.
I had an EMG done on my leg in May, 2012 and I am still suffering from it.  I've had 3 previous EMGs done over the years so I know it is not pleasant but this was unbearable.  During the test, the doctor asked me, "What happened to your leg?"  About two inches of my calf collapsed.  He said "You must have been sitting in the waiting room with your legs crossed."  It is now 8 months later, my calf is the same, and the nerve pain continues in the spots where he inserted the needle (ankle, shin, lower calf), and my knee and groin.  Three times I had to go for urgent care to get anti-inflammatories because my knee swelled up so bad.  When I told my primary care physician, she told me "that's impossible."  I am so glad I found this site.  Obviously, it's not impossible but I don't know what to do or who to go to for this.  I will NOT have another EMG.  I had hip replacement this past November and the nerve pain from the EMG (along with my knee swelling again) got so bad it was worse than the surgery.    
To all who are suffering, I pray for your speedy recovery. My saga began almost 2 years ago. I sustained a severe foot crush injury at work. After a year of therapy and unsuccessful treatments, I had surgery to remove a damaged section of my foot. Now months after the surgery, I'm dealing with inflammation, pain, insomnia...You name it. Recently I had an EMG procedure done due to continuing numbness in the foot. After the 2 hour procedure, the doctor  said I may have a Herniated Disc in the back. Now a few days after the EMG (which was extremely painful from the shocking, then the needles) I have increasing lower back pain, pain in my legs, ankles, foot, and overall feeling of malaise. Reading the posts on this forum has me worried due to the fact many of you poor people are still in pain months after the EMG was performed. I have already been suffering with ongoing issues because of my foot injury for almost 2 years. It has been a life altering experience not for the better. Here's hoping we all can overcome our agony and have a better quality of life. Good luck and God bless.  
Hi..I read your past experience with the EMG and wondered how you are doing,  I also had a very bad experience with my EMG taken on August 13th 2013.  That evening my left leg swelled to twice the size of my right
leg and foot and ankle as well.  Doctor finally sent me for a MRI with the final results being a full torn Archillies tendon,  Went for another MRE on my
right ankle,  Result was a partial tear.  I told the neuroligist who performed
the test that I felt the voltage was too high.  I had surgery on my left tear on 9/5/13 and hopping on the right foot.  Sore as hell.  Tinking of taking legal action as well.  Let me know how you made out.  Bill
I had an emg done on my legs in May of 2012 and I have had nerve pain in my legs  and knees ever since ever since.before the test I had no knee problems,now I have meniscus tears in both knees . Did anyone seek legal advise and if so, was there something that can be done legally
I had a emg of bilateral wrist a live"_electrocution.ive had hell bent shooting pain,"unbelievable "-tingling in fingers,shooting pain to tips of fingers,fron the severe jolts of electricity,shaking nonstop,its a ******* scam I hate doctors and their referal schemes ,using patients as gueony pigs for profit.its ;class action lawsuit"time .ill never give docs my legs(and I thought it was me)
I recently had a EMG, and it seemed to be okay until the needle
Totally unaware that was going to happen. My leg was in pain already and then he put the needle in my groin, I saw stars and swore in Spanish.
Now I've been to the emergency room and to the doctors office, I'm not happy at all. Now I'm suppose to go for therapy on my right leg and lower back? But I said that my abdomen is hurting and my groin area, how is physical therapy going to fix that? Can't drive because every time I move my leg over, the pain shoots right up to my thigh and my groin area! God help us all.
I too Had an EMG done April 2013. Previously I had had 2 done by another DR without issue(One showed some minor sciatic irritation On Left) This EMG in April was done only on the Right side and performed in a cold room & Dr's technique was not as good as the other. The needle went into my Right thigh and the muscle tightened and hurt a lot more than usual.
I was there because I was having nerve irritation in legs and mostly feet burning swelling redness. All of my motor skills were fine. When I got home within a couple hrs my leg was in severe pain could barely straighten knee. pain in lower leg near anle and on foot. Toe began twitching. Called office and they said that can't happen just rest and drink water. of course my test came back normal. They never followed through with another Dr saying it was a hematoma. I am still in pain and my right leg has never been the same I have severe pain stabbing swelling. EMG's are dangerous and should be a last resort and not performed more than once. I would love to take action but don't know how.
Wow, I just wish I read this info. before I did this non-sense test called EMG, the test was not that painful to me, may be because I have hade a lots of pain during the past 2 years, the problem or shall I say the crazy severe lower back pain, and the nightmare headache began after a couple of hours I got home from the EMG test, I take baclofen, Neurontin, and migraine headache medicine, it has been about 5 days now since this EMG test done, unfortunately too bad for me the pain is killing me especially the headache, since nothing and I mean nothing works for it, I am told by my neurologist to drink a lots of fluids for the next several days, and the pain should go away. If fluid does the trick that's easy since I love to drink water. But it is amazing that all physician are oblivious to this pain we are going to after EMG, they need to check this forum and ask them selves, why we are getting this pain, at least they need to start doing some research about it.
They did it to me 8 yrs ago. I was in so much pain from my feet all of a sudden out of nowhere (I was a runner, dancer, and tai bo enthusiast) and drs would do nothing. I finally thought I was going to be admitted to a hospital (DR. ***** told me if the mg showed anything, she would, but otherwise would send me home to be in agony again for God knows how long) (I had been fervently seeking medical attn, for almost 2 months of pain so bad I literally was screaming most of the time), could not even STEP DOWN on my feet or even lay in bed in ANY position without horrible pain in them (it was only in the feet, remember). After the emg was only started I was cursing Latin from pain that shot into my sciatic nerve. After security was called on me (a Nightmare I don't even want to get into), I went home. a few hours later was startled by a pain the likes of which I will never forget, then WITNESSED with my EYES my vastus lateralis move to the front, and the connect to my knee somehow, now the pain was beyond compare. I suffered thru this with no pain management, as I had the whole time since EVERYTHING they gave me made it worse. It is now 8 years later, and I am in a wheelchair since. I now have peritonitis from the diverticulitis and a whole body infection. It has taken me 1 hour already to write this because I keep having to stop because of pain. I will probably die from this since I  now have PTSS from the way the drs treated me the whole time I was seeking help (I stopped 4 yrs ago untill recently), hospitalized twice from the diverticulitis(which they found 8 yrs ago with MRI and did NOTHING), with no lasting results, now all the pain is all over my body, I have electrical sensations constantly, cannot go out of the house because I am hit with excrutiating pain at any given time and might "scare" someone, and I am done . I sincerely hope I die.
I had an EMG on my arms and legs.....but since I had it done I have had in my left arm numbness a couple of times.  But now I get a cramp in my thumb and first finger and they draw up tight....I use my right had to pull my finger back in place.  I have never had anything like that in my life time. Did they do some damage to my hand?  They said I have a pinched nerve in my left arm but strange I never had anything like this until now.  

______________________________________________________

******** CLOSED DISCUSSION ********

No more comments, please.

If you have a question or would like to start a new thread, please click the "Post a Question" button near the top of this page.