Neurology Community
Can my bad neck cause my 3 month headache?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have had 4 MRI's last week, looking for Intracranial Hypotension, came back didn't have. I am going to try to get my films read somewhere else, if you could advise where. I have had a headache for three months nonstop and now my Dr wants to send me to another specialist. I have been thru the mill and taken every drug and been in the hospital 3 times and came home with the same headache. Had a spinal tap last week, opening pressure was only (7), But since the Intr. Hypo. came back negative so they say. I would like like to know if you think my cervical MRI  report could give me a headache and maybe I need to see a different type of Dr than a Neurologist. My Dr says this wouldn't give me a headache, but I'm beginning to think if I don't have a leak somewhere and drugs don't work, it could be mechanical. Here is only the report of my neck.Advanced degenerative disc disease at evry level of the cervical spine with a mild dextroscoliosis, reversal of the cervical lordosis centered at the c3-4 level and approx. 2mm of anterolisthesis ofc2 relative to c3. Sm. spondylitic ridges from c3-4 thru c6-7. compression of the right c-4 nerve root, leftc5, both c6 nerve roots and left c7 nerve root. bone marrow edema in theendplates adjacent to the degen discs from c3-4 thru c6-7. Think this could give me a headache? should I see a different type of DR? Thanks for your time, Valarie
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. You have spondylytic changes at various cervical levels, degenerative disc disease and certain compressive neuropathy can give rise to severe headaches and neckpains. You need to consult a neurosurgeon who will assess the degree of disc degeneration and prolape , whether surgical decompression would benefit you. He will be able to guide you the best of your surgical outcome. Also consult a physiotherapist to teach you certain neck exercises to relieve you of this stiffness and pain. Hope this helps. Take care.
Yes you have helped me greatly, I thought I had to go to an orthopedic Dr. My Dr is a Nuurologist, but not helping me. Thank you so much for your guidance. Valarie11
Yes it can!.(sounds a bit familiar? oh yeah, that was 'yes WE can).
anyway I've got the same thing and similar problems with my neck, and they are getting slowly worse with age. I also get periods (weeks) of balance problems where i feel drunk. (no fun by having drinks though, just the feeling that i've had too many). Good idea to see another doctor because yours is wrong! It's your neck! I've tried everything and anti inflamatories don't do much an you can only take so many. A simple thing i have recently discovered after years and years of trying is to massage the back of my neck and upper spine gently with Tiger Balm ointment than I get from the chinese stores. It kind of freezes the pain for a while and really gives temporary relief. I'm sure you can get it in US because we are more or less the same in Australia. try it, but from experience I think you should see another doctor with your scans before you go to the surgeon. Best of Luck.
Thanks for the advice, I was getting botox in my head and neck for over three years for headaches, (so called migraines) it was working till the last 6 months and now I can tell those Dr's finally its not migraines, it's my neck. BUT of course they still don't want to listen. I really think I'm headed for surgery at this point. I believe the botox did help me for awhile. Thanks again and good luck to you
I have a prominent protrusion at c5-c6 due to a MV accident (from side) and it has caused me headaches for 7 years, some lasting, unremitting, for 10 days--morning, noon and all night.  Got Botox in the injured area and it gave me immediate relief for months.  Got a bit worried about the longterm effects and temporary nature of the shots, so I have tried just about everything.  Here's the partial list of things I've tried or looked into:
Surgery--not an option, could make it worse
Depakote--works very well, but I hate taking daily meds.
TENS unit--some temporary relief.
Salves, ointments--not much significant effect
Cervical traction--laying on this on a home unit for a while can sometimes give immediate relief.
Accupunture--relief, but no cure.
PT--definitely helped at least for a while.
Prolotherapy/Platelet Rich Therapy--Complete eventual relief, even after d/c'ing meds.  Cutting Edge vs. Quackery is the main discussion on this treatment.  I'm going with "miraculous" after 7 years of despair.  Some sports stars are trying it, but there aren't many doctors doing it.  It's painful, but my quality of life if back.

Wishing you well on a difficult journey.  I feel (felt) your pain.

sound like the botox maybe pushed the problem bones etc away from the nerves and eased the pressure. I'm going to look into it for my neck. Surgery - I agree with Bill; I have spoken to a number of people who have had spinal surgery and finished up worse as Bill says. I have been advised that my situation is too far gone, and if your degeneration is described as being advanced it might not be an option. Also these operations are very delicate and lots of things can go wrong and they are considered high risk. Two doctors have told me that and strongly advised against surgery.
Anyway, good luck and let's all keep on doing the best we can.
best wishes
I also had accupunture 10 visits with no relief, quit after that. Of course I have had every drug possible, hospital 3 times, no help, ended up with shingles one month ago on top of every thing with all the stress of these headaches and pain. My Dr is not very supportive. I've been trying to get an appt with a neuro surgeon, but booked up till Feb. ( Boy I wish these Dr's could have my pain for a day, maybe I wouldn't have to wait so dam long for an appt. going to try today for other Dr's. I'm going to look into the Prolotherapy/platelet rich therapy, never heard of it. Thanks for your advice. Good luck to you
I quess you read what I wrote to bill613. I"ll try anything at this point. I hope the botox helps you. It did me for quite awhile, then I don't know what happened. I'm so fed up with DR's . Take care & good luck