Neurology Community
Can nerve damage from a back surgery be repaired

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

A nerve damaged doing surgery has crippled me.  Can nerves in back be repaired after previous decompression and facetomies which caused damage in first place.

It is difficult to say without a good clinical exam and knowing the complete medical history if nerve damage that you have sustained during back surgery can be repaired or not. It will also depend upon the extent of nerve damage.
I would suggest you to seek an opinion from an experienced neurosurgeon. Pain management and rehab therapy are also the options to deal with nerve damage.

Regards
Thank you for your response.  I have seen 3 neurologists.  All have read my emg and ncv and suggeted epideral injections.  Can my nerve(S1) die from the foot up over time and destroy my leg muscles while I go about on pain medication? The neurologists only give me about 4 minutes of time since I am on medicare only.
So epidural injections can help your nerve pain?  Did you find out if it damages your nerve in any way and/or hinders it from repairing itself?

You need to go in the office with a written list of your questions.  Make sure the doctor answers all of your questions before you leave, whether you have regular insurance or medicare.  If he brushes you off due to being a "Medicare" patient; then you need to report that.

I had no leg pain prior to my surgery and this nerve pain is worse than my back pain was.

I'm so dissappointed as I too feel like this back surgery has really crippled me.  At least I could get around better and my pain could be controlled when it was just back pain.

I just wanted to get my back fixed, start playing tennis again and feeling "normal" again...whatever normal is.  

Instead, I spend half of my day crying from the pain and from worrying that I will be like this for the rest of my life.  

Carol
I understand Carol how you feel.  I use to play tennis, netball, basketball etc...  Now if I dare play sport I end up crippled in pain for at least 48 hours.  I am not declaring a foreseen probability to stop me from going ahead and trying but im 100% sure as in the past 3 years I have tried dozens of times to "think positive" and go ahead about my life but unfortunately, damaged nerves don't get fixed from motion.

I get people saying, "maybe you should go for a walk or if you play some sport you'll find it'll help you feel better, you know, increase the endorphins" I am over it.

Hope you feel better soon. I don't know how long I can stand my pain much longer.

x