Can nerve grow back after a root canal?
More than 15 years ago I had a root canal.  Things were all right at the time.  About 7 years after that discomfort and pain developed in that tooth.  I was having terrible grinding.  Attempts at using a night guard failed because it only caused the pain to build up more and spread.  I was having pain shoot from the tooth into the eye and I had pain go from the tooth (on my left sife, upper, rear) down into my collarbone area.  I had the crown removed and that halped a great deal.  But I cannot chew on that tooth without pain and if food gets stuck in there I get pain.  Occasionally very severe pain will develop.  I have seen at least 7 dentists and they all refuse to listen.  They tap the tooth three times with a very fine instrument and ask if it hurts a,d when I saw no they say the tooth is fine.  They all say it is referred pain.  But they all refuse to consider that the pain comes from chewing - putting pressure on the tooth, or from touching a particular place, not from the little tap with the light instrument.  I am sick of dentists who insists on not listening and trying to doctate to me how I feel rather than listening.  The pain is not going into my teeth from somewhere else.  I have spent thousands of dollars and still do not have a solution.  I talked to my ENT specialist who said they should just do the root canal over again but I could not get any dentist to write a prescription for it.  The dentists all said that my X-ray showed that the tooth did not need another root canal.  There is another tooth in front of that tooth and that tooth had a root canal about 30 years ago.  They said they can't tell whether that tooth is the problem without removing the crown, which I am willing to have done if necessary.  So my question is whether a nerve can grow back after a root canal or whether there is damage to a nearby nerve, and what kind of specialist I should go to in order to get a correct diagnosis and the right medical care?  Are there neurologists who speiclize or work in dental neurology or are there dentists with training in neurology?   If you know of any names or clinics that would be helpful.
Could there be a problem with the bone under the tooth? If the root canal got infected, couldn't the infection spread to the bone? You might ask them this, or just go to an oral surgeon.
I have had the same thing!  I went to a new dentist who showed me that the dentist who did the root canal did not  do a proper job!!  One of the roots is still there.  I found your comment after searching whether a root can grow back after a root canal - the answer is NO.
I had the same pain and finally changed to a different dentist that listened to me about the pain.  He did another X-ray and found that my bone was infected (happens quite often from root canals I found out) and I had to have the tooth extracted before it caused any more bone degeneration.  I would go to someone different and get the tooth pulled.  Root canals have too many health dangers to a  person.