Neurology Community
Can neuropathy be caused by Factor V thrombophillia?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hello everyone. I've had nerve pain for the past 2 years, starting in my feet, and working it's way up slowly. I get shooting pains in my arms and legs, pains in my joints, and numbness and tingling in my arms and legs. I also get muscle cramps/stiffness and visible muscle twitches throughout my body. It all seem to be very random, with pains moving around a lot. Also sometimes experiencing what feels like.. well, someone giving me a huge hug, with a ton of pressure on my ribs. At first I though maybe it was bronchitis or something similar, but it's my actualy ribs or muscles on my ribs. My sciatica is the biggest inconvenience, as I have 2 toddlers and it makes it so hard to do things throughout the day. I have a lot of migraines, mainly caused by the muscle cramping in my neck. My loss of dexterity and weakness in my arms makes it difficult to lift or do things such as brush my teeth. Oh, and sometimes I feel almost okay. Kind of like it's going into remission at times. But these remissions seem to be getting shorter. My GP recommended a rheumatologist, so that's who I'm seeing first. I've seen him once, and he had me go for a ton of blood testing. He's testing for auto-immune disorders, diabetes, HIV, etc.. I am homozygous for factor v thrombophillia, and he thinks this is what's causing my neuropathy. He says that the factor v is keeping my nerves from getting enough oxygen. He also says that he will not give me pain meds, because I "don't need them." This is total crap because I'm in a ton of pain on a daily basis. I didn't make a big deal out of it though, because I'm more concerned about just finding out what is wrong.
Does anyone know if factor v can contribute to neuropathy? He seems to think it's a great possibility, but I can't find one piece of information that thinks those two things together.

I'm young, I don't do drugs, I drink maybe once per month, and I was fairly active before all of this started.  Thanks in advance for any input!!
I'm just waiting on test results, I should get them soon :)
I don't have FactorV but I do have another blood clotting gene (MTHFR) and have also been diagnosed with early stage neuropathy by my neurologist.  I have already had a battery of blood work to try and pinpoint a cause and go back tomorrow for more.  My doctor has not mentioned the possibility that the blood clotting disorder could be contributing.  He seems to think it is more likely to be caused by diabetes or an immune issue such as lupus, hince all the testing.  I will be curious to see what your blood work shows. So far all of mine have been normal.
Wow, that's interesting. Let's keep each other updated on test results. I'm hoping to get some of mine back soon! You should mention it to your dr next time you see him and see what he says. I'm honestly hoping it's something else, something treatable.
I received my test result, but i havent spoken to the doctor yet. The nurse was nice enough to tell me the results when i called, but said that I had to speak to the dr to find out any more. And he isnt in today. So my vitamin d is low, but that's been an ongoing problem. I was put on vit d supplements before, and it didnt really help the symptoms. I also have a 'slightly high' rhuematoid factor, of 31. I'm hoping the doctor will be in soon to call me, or ill just have to wait until the 7th to talk to him at my appointment.
Since my mom has RA, it kind of worries me.