Neurology Community
Can this be MS, or is it something else?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia when I was 18 and began having symptoms when I was 16. This consisted of some fatigue, pain, and all the symtoms (symptoms) of FMS. I did not have too many problems with it except not being able to run cross country and track anymore. In 2006 I went to the hospital for a week for what the doctor's say was an allergic reaction to a medication. At first they thought it was Menengitis and they attempted 6 spinal taps at the bedside, all were unsuccessfull. They did another the next day that was, but they stated that I did not have menengitis. I began to have headaches and severe pain in my lower back a couple of days later. They did an MRI and said it was normal. I was sent home, and continued to have severe back pain. I then began to develop tremors in my legs and hands, as well as tingling in my feet. The symptoms then progressed over time and come and go, but get worse each time. Now I have tingling every day in my legs, and sometimes in my hands and face. I have burning pain in my extremeties. I have headaches daily, and at times certain parts will go completely numb for days on end and then it will go away. I have balance problems, and especially in the shower and in the dark. I get fatigued very easily, and in constant pain. I have also experienced vision problems and urination problems. I have seen many neurologists and have had another spinal tap, and emg, eeg, many mri's, and evoked response test as well as much lab work. My doctor's all stated that I had symptoms of MS. All my tests came back negative, and they rulled out any neurological problem stating that it is my Fibromyalgia. I am not too sure though because the symtoms (symptoms) are so different. Could it be MS even though all the test come back normal? Right now I am very frustrated because my doctors have basically labled me with a psychological disorder and say it is all in my head. Recently I fell down some stairs due to my lack of coordination and went to the hospital. I was told I had seizures but I do not remember anything from the first two days in the hospital. I am now not allowed to drive until I get an inpatient video EEG completed. I have an appointment for this at the Clevland Clinic at the end of April. I do not think I am having seizures. I had a 24hour EEG in the hospital that came back normal. I do know that if I do too much activity I will have tremors and muscle spasms that people say look like seizures. Regardless, I am frustrated because now all my doctors think I am making up my symptoms and won't take me seriously. Is there a way this could be MS or some other problem that will not show up on these tests? I am looking forward to my appointment in April. I hope someone will be able to tell me something, Thank you so much.
People who have horrible symptoms and normal tests tend to get labeled as having mental or psychological problems.  It's sad but true.  It seems to me that people who really do have psychological problem are very aware of them.  I've seen people post here regarding these issues.  I think your symptoms are far beyond a FMS diagnosis.  I have most of your symptoms myself and have also gotten the FMS diagnosis.  One condition that can cause all of this and NOT show up on tests is lyme disease.
People that have horrible symptoms and "abnormal" tests can get labeled that way too!

Another fact that is sad, but true.....

That's probably even worse!!
Trust me, it is.......I am one of those MS limbo-ers that have all the so-called lesions in all the "right" places, many 'typical' symptoms, etc.....and my Neuro still won't commit.....I understand it's a difficult diagnosis to make, but does get extremely frustrating at times.....

Is your neuro an MS specialist?