Neurology Community
Can whiplash cause a stroke

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Can whiplash cause a stroke

My husband (age 51 and in good health) was rear-ended November 2006 and the accident caused whiplash, bulging discs, herniated discs and headaches or head pain everyday since than. He took  Depakote everyday to help with the daily headaches. On September 12th of this year, he suffered a massive stroke. He was put on Celebrex two weeks prior to the stroke. My question is could the whiplash injuries have something to do with his stroke, since he was getting  headaches everyday?
Sorry to hear of your hubby's ordeal. : (
I was rear ended too in 06(august) at the age of 43 and my life has never been the same, to say the least. I suffer seizures; intense nerve pain; hyper mobility in my neck; neuropathy; cognitions dysfunction and more.  Yes, WL can cause a whole series of disorders; all difficult to prove or diagnose. I read about many who suffered a spinal cord/CNS injury and never recovered. I know it's difficult, but I'd focus on emotional support; pain support; movement; nutrition and once again: EMOTIONAL support. Having the right supports help him get through this and find the source within to fight another day..
Blessings, Vee  Colorado
I don't think anyone can answer this question, but I think you and your hubby would know this more than even a Dr; Dr's are vague and know less than we know. They too read and learn as we do. I know as much as my neurologist it seems; he doesn't seem updated on new research, etc. Yes, he can run test and find evidence of such things but to DIRECTLY  LINK IT, they wont do that. I too was whiplashed and KNOW without a doubt this is what caused all my devestating pain and struggles. BUT because I have a lawsuit, and in case you do or others do, dr's wont say for sure...they just say "who knows"?

I believe it could. WL caused me to have seizures and if you study the whole CNS you'll see how the neck holds all the nerves and messages to the brain/from, etc. And also with WL there is a silent brain injury. YOU wil know..and it sounds like you already believe this. With me, NO ONE Could convince me otherwise
I pray your hubby is better and better soon. And you too have the extra strength you need too.
vee veelighted at aol.com
Hiya,

I often wonder the same thing regarding my partner as he suffered a heamorhage after suffering whiplash as he was also rear ended.

Various doctors have told us no but he also suffered head pains and still does. He was having one at time of heamorrhage.

Until recently we havent been given a proper diagnosis ie possible aneurysm etc. We visited a neurosurgeon just yesterday who gave us something different to think about....Vertebral Artery Dissection. It can be caused by neck trauma which leads to a tear in an artery leading to a brain heamorrhage or stroke. Neurosurgeon is investigating further but wether it is or not I strongly believe the accident had some affect on the heamorrhage.

Pisces17
I suffered a severe whiplash injury. I was a completely healthy person of  43. I was a power walker, just earned my college degree and more.
My whole life changed. I thought I had a stroke but when taking to the hospital it was determined I had a seizure(no hist or seiz,either).
I now feel I may have MS: it's been 2 years-plus and I am weak in my legs/arms, loss of vision/hearing/cognitive and constant pain. I cannot work full time due to pain that causes me to be bed ridden. I want to be well. I try so hard to be well ,but the body pain and weakness returns daily. I do have some better days.

PLEASE, YOU who have been whiplashed. DO NOT RELEASE ANYBODY until you have let a few months pass...I know of those who injuries didn't show til 3 months after.
Be careful with chiropractors too, if you're spinal cord has been damaged, which is likely, you can have a stroke. My neurologist told me to NOT GO TO A CHIRO, that I could have a stroke and die.

Please be well.
Take it easy but don't stop moving your neck. GENTLE MOVEMENTS of the neck. USE ICE for inflam. AND DO NOT IGNORE PAIN that is "bearable". I did this, I thought it would be better and then after about two months of delirious pain flares I knew I needed assistance with the pain. STUDY PAIN TOO: because Chronic Pain can develop from not treating pain.

BLESSINGS< Vee, Colorado
I have been fortunate in that my WL was covered by workman's comp.  However, I was T-boned on the drivers side at 40 mph and spun 360 degrees.  A lateral movement.  I have had every test, some more than once, which were "normal" except each was performed with the head in a neutral position.  

Fortunate because I pushed to have a test performed with my head in a rotated position.  There was no one in Chattanooga who had this capability but an imaging center devised a way for a rotated image that showed clearly a compression on left vertebral artery when my head was rotated.  Google "bow hunters stroke".    

This has caused me significant symptoms with various head positions especially when sleeping.  Now the doctors are afraid I will stroke out on them.  Very different attitudes when proven wrong.

I know more about WL's than my DO at this very respected hospital.  One told me it was all in my head to which I agreed.  Google everything you can and document everything.  

Believe in your gut feelings until proven otherwise.  I now have been diagnosed with having TIA's (google that too) which are a precursor of strokes.  It's absolutely possible to have caused the stroke.

God bless and take care............

I agree with your comments regarding dissection.  I suffered a dissection and full occlusion of the left internal carotid artery, possibly the result of an automobile accident.  Dissections seem to be more prevalent in the fifth decade of life and car accidents, especially while wearing a three point saftey belt is a known cause.  
On September 9th, my husband suffered a massive stroke, he was 36 years old.  We had no idea why this happened until he woke up a week later, after being on life support and have brain surgery to relieve swelling.  When we told him what happened, the doctors were asking him a millino questions and come to find out, he was rear ended (slightly bumped) six days prior to his stroke.  It was so minor, he didn't even tell me!!  They now believe that what happened to him was a rare type of whiplash which in turn caused an infarction in his cerebal stem.  Scary stuff!!!