Neurology Community
Can't Control Handwriting - Hands

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Can't Control Handwriting - Hands

I'm a 27 year old healthy female. I do data entry for work so I type a lot. Well about a year ago I noticed I started losing control of my handwriting (right handed). I have no pain any other time, typing, doing anything else except handwriting.

I can't describe it other than it feels like I've lost control of my writing. I visualize the letter I'm going to write...and it's as if my hand just jumps and it doesn't make the shape I'm looking to make. Almost like my brain isn't communicating with my hand...I have to concentrate really hard to write. Lots of white-out and erasing, and frustration.

The only way I feel I have control is to squeeze really hard, or put my elbow in the air, but either way it gets so tight and the pain shoots up to my elbow, and I have to stop almost after every letter. It's so frustrating! I've tried different pens, ballpoint, gel, ones with large grips on them..nothing helps. I don't have any reading or learning disabilities, was a straight A student and great speller. I have to go VERY slow when I write or it just looks like scribbling.

What could this be? I'm afraid if I talk to my doctor they'll think I'm crazy. I spoke with my mother and she said she had something called Chorea or St. Vitus' dance when she was a teen which spawned from Rheumatic fever. Could it be that I got something genetically from that?
You do a lot of data entry - what about carpel tunnel? It may be something more physical than mental.
Try getting a wrist support and sleeping with that, and seeing if that helps your writing.

Your doc may not think you are crazy - it is pretty common.
I could be wrong but I don't think it's carpal tunnel, I don't have any pain when typing at all, no tingling or any of the normal CT symptoms. It's almost like a mis-communication is how I can describe it, in that split second my brain is going "okay make the letter 8", and I concentrate on doing that, and it comes out looking all crooked and wobbly, that's the only way I can describe it. Almost like the letters aren't coming out as I intended or visualized, or mid-letter my hand just does a tiny jump and screws up the letter that way..so weird!
This sounds like you should see a neurologist, it doesn't sound like carpel tunnel to me.  Your GP won't think your crazy, type your notes and questions so when you see your Dr. you will have all your symptoms in order. Try to remember exactly when it started and how long you have been dealing with this problem.  This is serious because it affects work, which could make working impossible if it continues.  They will most likely to an EMG to see if nerves in your arm are affected.  Good luck!  Oh and if you don't get taken seriously get another opinion.
Just as an update to this, I've since had nerve conductive tests done, those came back normal. They did an x-ray, nothing was found. I had an MRI done today and I'm waiting to hear back on it.

My general doctor even started me on Prednisone for two weeks and that was a nightmare..NEVER again. Horrible pill, made me paranoid, depressed, hallucinate, extremely anxious, and hyperactive all at the same time. And didn't help at all, don't know why they gave it to me, they said it was for swelling of which I had none so that irritated me a lot!

I'm just so frustrated, I know this isn't in my head and something is wrong, it's very uncomfortable to write. Hopefully I'll get an answer from this MRI, the orthopedic doctor feels it may be a small cyst so hopefully it's as simple as that!

Hi, Thank you for your question. Your symptoms could be due to writer's cramp that is due to involuntary muscle contraction called dystonia. This may be affected by writing specific letters, the position of the hand, and is often relieved when you stop writing. It is difficult to find any specific cause for writer's cramp, however Botox injections may be some help to prevent the contraction from occurring. I would recommend evaluation by a neurologist that may benefit you. I hope you find the information I have provided useful. Take Care.

Oh my god...thank you Dr. Srivastava. I started looking online about what you described, focal hand dystonia (writer's cramp)...all the descriptions describe it EXACTLY. I'm going to print this out and show the doctor when I have the followup for the MRI. I tried looking online before but could never really figure out what to search for to get something that matched.

Thank you thank you...I hope now I can get a fix for it!
I know your comments were posted several years ago and I hope that you are possibly still on this site.  I have the same exact problem as you.  Right now my doctor as me on methotrexate because he said my RA factor was elevated. I've only taken it for two weeks and my handwritting seems to be even worse.   I STILL think it's a disconnect between my hand and brain.  This is extremely frustrating!
Hi, since then I was able to get help. I had a neurologist who was trying me on many medications, Prednisone, Lyrica, Klonopin, etc. They made me feel awful and didn't help. I went to physical therapy and they didn't know what to do with me. I kept pushing the Focal Hand Dystonia diagnosis through lots of research, found that the only fix to date that I've seen is botox injections. Finally they forwarded me to a specialist at the Cleveland Clinic that handles dystonia. They started by disabling the muscle with botox in my arm that handles the trigger finger (pointer finger), that didn't help. I suggested we try to disable the muscle that's involved in the wrist extensor (lifting my wrist in the air). Finally this worked, I could write again! I can't tell you how much I cried, I was so happy after a year of being shoved from doctor to doctor. You really do have to be your own advocate and do the research and tell them what you want to try, this problem is such an anomaly that it comes across so little they just don't know what to do. Luckily my insurance covers the injections as they aren't cheap, after my deductible I think I end up paying about $400 a year for 2 of them. I get them every 5 months in my forearm and I'm good as new. I can't lift my middle finger and that arm is weak lifting things, and sometimes I have trouble moving the computer mouse, but at least I can work! It's not a cure but it's a patch for me. Hope that helps!