Can't open eyelid in the morning
Hello.
Last September, I was diagnosed with BFS. I still twitch, but have gone on to develop muscle aching, and tightness, all of which I understand to be characteristic of BFS. However, 2 weeks ago, I developed a frightening symptom: my left eye will not open - without struggle - after a period of sleep. As I wake often during the night, this can happen several times a night, and in the morning. It happens every night.
Is this related to BFS or is this a symptom of something more serious?
Thanks in advance,
EVNY
Maybe we ought to send our comments to Dr. Oz!  Seems that our regular doctors don't have a clue as to why we have this problem.  Mine has gone from not opening at night when I awaken from sleep to shutting down around 10pm.....my eye is telling me it's bedtime!  Doesn't matter if I'm on the computer, reading a book, or watching TV.  Maybe we all need to look for a common thread.  My left eye problem began 6 months have going on thyroid medication for hypothyroid.  Someone else mentioned thyroid.
I am so glad I found this forum. I have had such issues with my eyes or almost a year now. I went to an eye doctor who diagnosed dry eye, gave me Systane drops. They gave me headaches so stopped using them after 5 days. After that I started having trouble opening my eyes in the night. I still have this problem every night. Wake up several times and try to pry the lids open but it feels like sand under my lids. It takes several minutes to get them open and when I do, my vision is blurred and takes some time to clear. Went back to the eye Dr who just brushed it off and gave more of the same drops, which i tried using sgain with the same resulting headaches  I have recently had lots of blood work done because I suddenly developed several symptoms, joints aching, stiff neck, lymph nodes swollen, headaches, extreme fatigue. Labs all came back clear except the Dr. Said I have Mono. I'm 64 and happily married so no, I haven't been dating any teenage boys, lol. I'm a nurse so I am off work for 2 weeks to try and get over thus but my eye problems are very concerning. I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one with this, thank goodness for the Internet. If anyone has heard of anything new on this subject I would love to hear it.
I had this problem several years ago until I started on Rosacea pill. -Minocycline -100 mg.   I would like to get off it but every time I try the severe eye problem returns.  Only in the mornings, but every morning, usually both eyes are suctioned shut, until I somehow manage to break the suction, but all are painful as my muscles try to open the eyes, but the suction prevents it.  I pull in the middle of the skin, pull at a corner, etc.  This started after menopause, and I suspect the Minocycline works because there is slight swelling to all aspects of my face, including the inside of my nose. Parts of my eye must be swollen as well. At a lower dose my eye problems returned.  I was hoping this thread had diagnosis and other treatments.  Good luck to you all.

HI..I also have the same affliction in my right eye..it started last summer ...the first time it happened It was so surprising..I thought I had a stroke..I had to physically open the eye with my fingers..I also work nights and wondered if the air conditioning dried it out...but why all of a sudden I have worked nights for 10 years. I am aging though and my mother complained of dry eyes as well...mine always seem to be so red and irritated at times. Before this happened...I had overused Visine to the point where my eyes were continually red and using Visine didnt work....I looked like I was crying all the time lol....just wondering if other people have used Visine and perhaps this is a factor?
Please try natural treatment. I would suggest you to have a couple of pure carrot juice and wheat grass juice twice.
This would relieve you from any nurological disorder if any.
hi, my father had cataract surgery a few years ago, and has recently had a lot of problems opening his eyes. the opthamologist has diagnosed him with blephorospasm and the only hopeful treatment seems to be botox. he's had one treatment to no progress. this is a very serious condition with very little answers but not giving up hope. i'm looking at some alternative treatments since western medicine seems to be all trial and error at the moment.
Blepharospasm is a neurological condition characterized by forcible closure of the eyelids.
Blepharo means "eyelid". Spasm means "uncontrolled muscle contraction". The term blepharospasm ['blef-a-ro-spaz-m] can be applied to any abnormal blinking or eyelid tic or twitch resulting from any cause, ranging from dry eyes to Tourette's syndrome to tardive dyskinesia. The blepharospasm referred to here is officially called benign essential blepharospasm (BEB) to distinguish it from the less serious secondary blinking disorders. "Benign" indicates the condition is not life threatening and "essential" is a medical term meaning "of unknown cause". Patients with blepharospasm have normal eyes. The visual disturbance is due solely to the forced closure of the eyelids.
Blepharospasm should not be confused with:
Ptosis - drooping of the eyelids caused by weakness or paralysis of a levator muscle of the upper eyelid
Blepharitis - an inflammatory condition of the lids due to infection or allergies
Hemifacial spasm - a non-dystonic condition involving various muscles on one side of the face, often including the eyelid, and caused by irritation of the facial nerve. The muscle contractions are more rapid and transient than those of blepharospasm, and the condition is always confined to one side
I do a lot of research now, because I recently got the same problems:  red eyes, burning, itching, watering and can not open my left eye. Here is another piece of info:

Apraxia of lid opening is a condition in which patients who have otherwise normal eyelids have difficulty opening the eyelids. This is a problem in the circuitry for opening the eyelids

Mixed benign essential blepharospasm with apraxia of lid opening is in my experience rarely initially diagnosed by the examining physician.  Moreover it is even missed by those physicians specialized in the management of this condition, including ophthalmologists and neurologists.  Apraxia of lid opening was first described by Goldstein and Cogan in 1965 as “a non-paralytic motor abnormality characterized by the patient’s difficulty in initiating the act of lid elevation.”  Apraxia is generally defined as the inability to carry out purposeful movements in the absence of motor paralysis, sensory loss, or ataxia.  To paraphrase the definition of apraxia of lid opening, it is a patient who reports, “I can’t will my eyes to open.”

In the classical presentation, benign essential blepharospasm occurs in a woman with an average age of 55 who initially notices increased blinking and sensitivity to light.  This is followed by increasingly frequent intermittent forceful eyelid closure.
I have same thing,but what do u do for this condition?
I have the problem too of not being able to open my eyes during the night or in the morning, it's because of dry eye syndrome . I use Similisan dry eye drops and they instantly feel better!
I have been having the same problem and I found out it's dry eye syndrom. I use Similisan dry eye drops and they instantly feel better!
Feel better but not fixing problem of opening the eye?
Hi:  My left eye wouldn't open in the morning and then my right eye later.  Luckly it didn't happen in both like yours..... After going to an Opthamologist, I went to a NeuroOphthamologist (never knew there was one) Neurologist with a sub specialty of Opthamology... She was great.  After a Normal MRI (with and without contrast) she said all was normal.  She also spent a lot of time with me... probably 45 minutes.  She explained that it is likely just a kink or cramp in my eye like when you have a cramp in your finger and can't extend it....Finally it did go away and I haven't had the problem since... although sometimes my eye is drooping in morning..... Another Opthamologist said to put a very hot washcloth on my closed eyes for a few minutes.  It does really help.  The minute I get up, I do this and then put in my eye drops as I also was diagnosed with Dry Eye.... I wish I had more to tell you and hope you get better like I did.... You should get an MRI too just in case.
Hi:  I'm so sorry about all of your problems.  (It's so sad that whenever a Dr. doesn't know what it is they say it psychological.) .... My eyes don't roll back.... However in searching for my problem... I did run into a blog entry (perhaps on this site?) where a woman was driving and it happened.  She had to have someone pick her up.  They said she finally went back east and got Botox shots around her eyes...it didn't say more..... You might want to research this further.....

FYI:  My problem:  My left eye wouldn't open in the morning and then my right eye later.  Luckly it didn't happen in both like yours..... After going to an Opthamologist, I went to a NeuroOphthamologist (never knew there was one) Neurologist with a sub specialty of Opthamology... She was great.  After a Normal MRI (with and without contrast) she said all was normal.  She also spent a lot of time with me... probably 45 minutes.  She explained that it is likely just a kink or cramp in my eye like when you have a cramp in your finger and can't extend it....Finally it did go away and I haven't had the problem since... although sometimes my eye is drooping in morning..... Another Opthamologist said to put a very hot washcloth on my closed eyes for a few minutes.  It does really help.  The minute I get up, I do this and then put in my eye drops as I also was diagnosed with Dry Eye.... I wish I had more to tell you and hope you get better like I did....
I see a lot of commonalities here. My left eye will not open on its own after sleeping at night.  Towards the end of the day it feels heavy and can ache.  I had stage 3 melanoma surgery in 2009 and a year of grueling interferon treatment until Sept of 2010.  I also have ischemic strokes from high blood pressure.  I don't see why the cancer treatments would have caused this over 2 years later.  I have had numbness on the left side of my face for over a year, but no eye problem until now.  My neurologist has put me on meds for Herpes Simplex 1 because I told her my eye situation gets worse when a sore in my nose is worse.  She thinks this might be causing the eye problem.  In addition, my thyroid was removed in 1997 and I recently was on Cipro, and I am a vegan (probably lacking in B12) and I don't drink much water.  Don't know where to start...maybe with the B12?
Did you follow up on the eyelid apraxia as a possibility for your condition? I have the same problem: my left eyelid won't open by itself upon awakening from sleep. I have to pry it open with my fingers-then its ok the rest of the day. Ophthalmologist also says dry eye and blepharitis, but it feels like a neuro-muscular problem to me--no crusting or stickiness and eye drops/gels don't help. Was researching the web last nite and found the topic "Benign Unilateral Apraxia of Eyelid Opening" and sounds just like me--one eyelid won't open after sleep without manual intervention, but then is ok for the rest of the day! Can be without blepharospasm, too. Nothing about what to do about it, though that I could find. I am going to mention it to my Ophthalmologist. Another potential tidbit for thought.
Not sure if you drink diet coke or not or use an artificial sweetner with aspertame?  Apparently, some of the side effects you mentioned are very similar to those of Aspertame users.  If this is the case, you may want to explore substituting with a natural sweetner like Honey or Stevia and get off the aspertame....  
i AM WORIED AS TWO WEEKS AGO MY RIGHT EYE WAS RED NO SCABBING, NO IRRITATION  JUST RED, THEN A COULE OF DAYS BEFORETHE INCIDENT  NOTICED WHITE GUNK LIKE CONJENTAVITIS, JUST IN THE MORNING AND IT CLEARED USUALLY IF IIT IS CONJECTAVITIS YOU WILL HAVE THIS ALL DAY LONG SCABBING, DID NOT TAKE IT TOO SERIOUSLY UNTIL LAST THURSDAY WHEN i TRIED TO OPEN MY EYES IT WAS STUCK LIKE TO MY EYEBALL NOT THE LASHES, SO i HAD TO MORE OR LESS OEN IT , AND SLIGHT AIN INTHE EYE WENT TO MY DOCCTOR WHO SAID IT WAS AN EYE INFECTION MY EYE WAS A BIT SMALLER THAN THE OTHER NO DISCHARGE AND THE REDNESS HAD GOONE IT WAS THERE  WHEN i WOKE IN THE MORNING BUT BY THE TIME i SAW HIM IT HAD GONE, i HAVE ALSO STRATED TAKING NEXIUM FORTY MG IN THE LAST MONTH OR SOOR WHEN i REALLY THINK i NEED IT AS i HAVE A FEELING OF SOMETHING STUCK IN THROAT FOR THE LAST YEAR ent AND GASTROSCOY SAID  EVERYTHING IS CLEAR, BUT IT COULD BE SILET REFULX AS i STATED GETTING AINS FROM MIDDLE OF THROAT TO TOP O F CHEST TAKING NEXIUM STO PED THE PAIN AND THE FEELING LIKE SOMETHING WAS STUCK IN THROAT TO SUBSIDED THOUGH NOT GONE FULLY, SO WHEN i FEEL IT IS WORSE i TAKE ONE, i HAVE BEEN GETTING CHLORSIG DROPS INTO MY EYE 3 TIMES A DAY 2 DROS IN THE  RIGHT EYE, DODCGTOR WANTED ME TO USE THE OINTMENT TWO TIMES A DAY BUT SAID VISION WILL BE BLURRY AND i HAVE TO WORK WITH CHILDREN, SO THE CHEMIST SAID TO USE IT 4 TIMES BUT i DO IT THREE AS i ALWYS FORGET OR RUN SHORT OF TIME, ANY WAY MY EYE IS NOT RED NOR GUNKY UT STILL HAVE THE DIFFICULTY OF OENING IT IN THE MORNIGAND HAVE TO FORCE IT OEN BOTH EYES LOOK NORMAL AT RESENT IT SEEMS LIK MY EYE IS REALLY DRY  THAT IS THE FEELING i GET,   i HAVE ALLERGIES AND WAS ON SLOAN TABLETS DURING SING GONE OF IT FOR MORE THAN A MONTH NOW
IS IT SOMETHING SERIOUS AS i AM WORRIED, ANY ASSISTANCE IS USEFUL
HG
Me :O
N I sleep alot but still don't feel like waking up
Hi, I have a problem of getting up in the morning..my bed timing is not standard, i keep changing it coz of my 1 year old baby...since few day I am not feeling well enough...I got my periods on 11 May 2013 since than I feel hot flushs early morning, feeling full pressure on my eyes, face swells, feeling sleepy...i checked my Blood Pressure its 129/74...If any one can advise me or else give me some solution that would be greatfull.

Thanks alot
It turned out to be a dry eye syndrome. 2 weeks ago I went to see an ophthalmologist and he told me to use Refresh Optive or Blink for 4 times a day for 1 month. It is much better now. I am also an hypochondriac, I become obsessed with the idea that I have a serious or life-threatening disease that hasn't been diagnosed yet. This causes significant anxiety and sometimes makes symptom worse.
I had your symptoms but with my left eye. In my case It turned out to be a dry eye syndrome. You should use moisturizing drops. I also had gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD). But I was taking Prilosec for a month and it helps.Now I eat less and mild food which doesn't cause an acid reflux, But it has nothing to do with your eye.
Thank you to all for posting a comment, I do too started to have the same problem a week ago , I am 64, left eye will not open in the morning when i wake up unless I help myself with my hand, I am really worried but reading all the posts I know I am not alone, I am going to the eye doctor next week and I will post what he says.  
Chris - I have the exact same thing.. only on my left side and now wondering if maybe this is due from an inflamed nerve I had in the base of my head, because from time to time that flares up again.. I went to bed last night with an headache and a ice pack on my neck woke up this morning and my eye was shut, almost like a numbing feeling to.
I have read all the posts here today. I have the same thing but with a twist.  My left eye started to HURT and both eyes couldn't stand any kind of light. Then my vision would seem to get fuzzy, almost like looking at the world through fog. Well off to the ER, ER Doc said , you have an eye infection. Got a script for some kind of drops. Oh Dear Lord this just made my eyes burn worse took hours for them to readjust. Didn't help! Suffering now with all that I can't open my left eye in the Am when I wake up. Never mind waking up several times during the night. After prying my eye open in the Am  It takes anywhere from an hour to two hours for my eyes to adjust to the house light, I don't dare go outside in the Sun. Happy to say today I go to the Ophthalmologist. I am 42 yrs old, I do suffer from migraines and had a concussion in 2009. I will post after he tells me, I PRAY he knows what it is! Bless you all
I had trouble opening eyes in the morning and had to put an ice cube on each eye in order to open them.  I think it was related to inflammation/swelling in my eye or surrounding skin.  My cortisol levels are very low (morning cortisol of 5) and the doctor put me on prednisone, working up to 7 1/2 mg per day.  I no longer have the problem of trying to open my eyes in the morning so it must have been a lack of glucosteroid cause.  ?????
Hello. This problem just started for me in my right eye. I have not been to a doctor yet. It all started last month. I woke up with in the middle of the night because my eye was watering profusely and would not stop. When I finally got fed up and went into the bathroom to investigate, to my horror, it was BLOOD! Running down my face from somewhere in my eye. No pain or anything. I cleaned it out and it has never happened again. Although every morning since then I have to pry my right eye open with my fingers. No gunk or anything. Its just like my eyelid has stopped cooperating. I also have neck and should pain pretty often, but I workout a lot and always chalk it up to muscle soreness..?? Has anyone else had the bleeding?
I hate to break it to you eye muscle sufferers, you're probably stuck with it. Mine started in the mid-90s, both eyelids, some mornings only one, some mornings both, muscles not working, eyes unable to open. They take at least 5 mins to open even with gentle massage, it is so frustrating. A couple of years later I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease (thyroid) which instantly explained the ptosis. Phew. Daily thyroxine hasn't fixed it so it's just something I've learned to live with. A couple of years after that I was diagnised with Sjogren's Syndrome and with that comes the bone dry eyes. So on those mornings my eyelid muscles decide to work, my SS decides it's time for some attention and so sticks my eyeballs to my lids. Sigh!  That takes 5 mins to fix too even though I have drops ready by my bedside. I tried Hypromellose eye drops but they caused my eyes to flare so now use Systane which I find soothing especially when the burning is severe. Supranettes eye wipes are soothing too. Hope this helps somebody.
I have read all postings and have noticed several unique sets of symptoms and histories that may indicate the cause for eyelid apraxia may be different in each of these sets.  My condition of L eyelid apraxia in am most resembles cp432 in that I have had a concussion and neck injury before the onset of eyelid and eyesite problems.  However, I have added complications which add to the difficulties in diagnosis. I developed benign positional vertigo,  middle ear damage, which was attributable to the blows on the head I sustained from an assault(hence the concussion).  Over a two year period, I have also been diagnosed with oesophageal candidiasis which was picked up in an upper endoscopy to examine the condition of my 10 year old lap nissen fundoplasty.  I believed the candida was present in many more sites in my body, especially my neck, mouth, ears and head, but only could obtain positive lab results from my nailbeds.  My ear canal cleared using an antifungal topical when anti-biotics did not, however, none of the swabs showed fungal growth.  In the past six months, I have had a lower leg blood clot and thrombophlebitis which did not residual damage and resolved within five weeks.  After that, a tendon spontaneously snapped (severed-complete tear) in my finger which was partially rejoined after using a splint for 10 weeks.  My finger will remain crooked but has a few mm of tendon use.  I have frequent (daily) headaches which are dull with a few flashes of intense pain on the left side which is the same side of my eyelid apraxia.  I take only lisinopril for elevated BP but have taken lisinopril with hydrochlorothiazide for more than 10 years.  My oesophageal candidiasis was eliminated due to a highly controversial (disagreements with prescribing doctors and myself) course of fluconazole for a period longer than was thought necessary by doctors.  I followed my own symptoms and took half the dosage recommended by Pfizer until I was able to be comfortable enough to stop entirely (approx 5 months).  A later endoscopy confirmed the candida gone, but showed scar tissue.  It is my opinion (I am a retired nurse (neuro) the extent of the candida was never known and may still be causing some of these seemingly unrelated diverse symptoms, both my eyelid, vision, neck pain, blot clot, and tendon deterioration.  The second I mention candida (I am in Scotland) doctors immediately think I need heavy psychotropic meds, because they believe me to be an anxious, crazy troublemaker.  The eyelid and double vision and blurry vision without glasses has become remarkably worse since the assault two years ago, as has almost all my other problems except the GORD, which was pre-existing.  If candida is not the culprit, perhaps it is the radicular symptoms from my three bulging cervical discs in my neck.????  I do not seem to be getting any better, although, before having the fluconazole, I honestly thought I was dying.  I forgot to mention, I have documented episodes of leg fasiculation (involuntary twitching and muscle contractions) that is often present  when resting but easily ignored.
Hi, I am not sure how old these posts are but I have the same thing. Finding it difficult to open my left eye in the morning. Almost feel like I have to push it open. Does anyone know what this is? Please post if you do. Thank you
I have same symptom and thought it was myasthenia gravis but just saw neurology and initial condition diagnosis is problems with peripheral nerves in my face due inflammation. I wake up and my right eye won't open
Thank you for posting this Maxwelian. After reading this I stopped drinking diet coke, which I have been addicted to for over 25 years. Not only has my right eye closing stopped in the last 5 days, but so has the dizzy spells and general aches and pains/numbness in my legs and arms that I have had for years..plus a general fogginess...my strong advice to anyone reading this is to try giving up diet soda for a month and see if your symptoms subside....its got to be better than going to the doctors and being put on medication!!! I now only drink black tea, green tea, water and limited coffee (1 cup or less a day)
I have read few posts here in this thread and understand that Dr. Has replied for a condition which is just swollen eyelids when you get up in morning and can not open your eye/s. I read this some where else too is good to read for cure which when acted on helped a lot .
Check below link replied by Dr. Stevens is just same as other dr.'s reply in thread above
http://www.justanswer.com/eye-health/27cl2-eyelids-will-not-open-when-waking.html
I would be interested if you get a solution to this as I have had the same problem and it has become worrying.
I have had this for about 4 months now every morning in one eye (right), first it was just the lid was heavy in the morning but now it is closed for a few minutes on waking & stays partially closed for a few more minutes once I get it open.
At first I thought it was ptosis but as time goes on I think it is oedema (edema in the US) as I have photographed it in the mornings & can see puffiness around the lid & lower eye.
I too have an issue with thyroid; multi nodal goitre which I have been referred to a surgeon about. There is one large nodule which is visibly noticeable. I noticed the enlarged thyroid shortly after the eye problem started. I also have pins & needles in hands/ feet on wakening, right hand is worst. It also looks a bit puffy. Both eyes water easily if I laugh and water once I get them open in the morning. Vision is blurry until eye open fully as my pupil is obscured by the lid. No redness or matter.
I would advise taking pictures/ video to show Dr as it is too easy for them to dismiss otherwise. Mine was not interested.
I was shocked myself to see all of the left eye people here. I love knowing I'm not alone in weird symptoms like these. It doesn't help my eye but it sure helps my spirit
STOP ASPARTAME & MSG poisoning.  That's what causes this.  look up Aspartame poisoning and see a the symptoms and diseases associated with it.  Drink more water, less diet coke, less sugar-free items.  Anything that says Surgar Free....Run fast and far away.

Diet is the answer.  Keep a log of what you eat and write down what issues you have.  Then, you will see what causes it.  Be proactive with your life.  Most Doctors aren't trained in nutrition.

After that, please look up MSG.  This is just as bad.  And don't believe what the FDA says.  They have be known to lie.

Hope you get better soon.

thanks!
You are doing the right thing by giving up diet ANYTHING.  Look up Aspartame and look at the 3 ingredients.  It is horrible to think we subject our bodies to this without knowing.  And the FDA for approving this crap is down right unbelievable.

Don't stop there, Look up MSG and that is also a horrible item and it is found in our food supply.
Thanks... I have had these episodes over the past few nights. I have used drops to alleviate the dryness. Will do the washing of the eye and massage too.
The feeling of not being alone is awesome.

58 year old female- healthy. Taking meds for typical blood pressure & cholesterol- nothing unusual or concerning . Unrelated (?) Symptoms started a few months ago: red eyes that had me go to clinic to make sure it wasn't pink eye. Diagnosis: allergies. Told to take antihistamine eye drops. Did and stopped when it improved

Shortly after : left eyelid will not open when I wake up. Similar to others- no " gunk"- the eye muscles will not work, but I pry my eyelid open every morning. Diagnosis: dry eye ?? Given eye lid cleanser, drops etc. Not much difference and doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Frankly getting tired of needing to use drops incessantly.

In the last week- developed pain around my eye/ nose. I've had sinus infections before, but the pain  wasn't in the typical sinus location. Diagnosis- sinusitis.( i've discovered the ethmoid sinus is in that eye/ nose area). Given pseudo-ephedrine decongestant and using Afrin. I noticed that my eye got better, but now that I've stopped Afrin ( you can only use it for 3 days), the difficulty opening my eye has returned

Wonder if the eye issue and sinus issues are related ( many of posts here mention that link).

I never drink soda, drink a lot of water, and check B12 regularly and take supplements ( I was deficient years ago).

The other commonality : I do have chronic neck issues which result in headaches that I've learned how to manage and minimize over the years. Therefore, not uncommon for me to have headaches.

Disheartening that no one has been able to get a clear diagnosis or path forward.
I have the same thing. Left eye, very light sensitive.  Slight headache in left temple. This is the side I sleep on. First doc said no eye infection, second one said small infection.  This is after LASIK in 2004, dry eye, then a tear duct plug for the dry eye plugged the whole thing.  Now. This eye is always wet and crying.  Doing antibiotic ointment 2-3 times per day. The closed eye thing started after I had a cold and cough for almost a month and was taking NyQuil. Thought I had slept too hard on a temperpedic pillow.  I get it if I sleep at all on the right side of my head - not just the temple area.  Decided to increase eye drops and decrease artificial sweeteners.  Comforting, in a way, to find this string of posts.  
Hi, i just read your comment and i have the same symptoms.  i am about your age and the only thing I have had is Reynolds phenomenon (immune system disorder) for 15 years.  I would like to know from you if you have found out anything else about your problems with your eyelid.  I have also had ct scan and it is negative.  
thank you
It is not just not being able to open the eyes the pain is so severe I want to die. I dread going to sleep. Tried everything seen every eye doctor no help. I get angry at God and cry when I cry tears actually flow!
My left eye is just like yours. From about 9pm is is gritty and heavy. I struggle to watch TV, but know things feel even worse overnight. It feels as if something is under the eyelid and I cant open the eye. Sometimes I get up at night to use Optrex eye wash, which really helps for a while. This is just to provide enough relief to get back off to sleep, In the morning it is shut fast again. After morning Optrex wash it is ok all day ( unless I take a nap, and that starts it off again )
I am going to GP on Wednesday, so will get referred to hospital for checks. However all this takes so long. I am on call at night as well, so having to wake up and drive is really difficult, when one eye doesn't want to work.
Do you all have pain that is acute in both eyes that is glued? It takes half hour after lubricating with castor oil eye drops and wetones with antiseptic wash I dare not touch the eye lids gentlly since the seering pain wants me to kill myself
I do have pain behind the eyelid, when it is closed, so especially at night.
I have to get up and use Optrex eye wash maybe twice in the night and hope I can get to sleep before it gets dry and gritty again.
Once the eye is open in the morning it is ok!
Did anybody have eye surgery?Then they had trouble opening eye in morning?
I am a 75 year old woman and for several months I have had trouble opening my right eye in the morning and just recently it started in my left eye.  I have a condition that no one has mentioned.  I have a pituitary tumor which has recently started to grow.  I know that this tumor can damage the optic nerves and cause blindness if it is allowed to grow too much.  I was concerned that my eyelid problem might be related to the tumor.  I am scheduled to see a "neuro-opthamologist" on November 23, to see if my tumor is causing any damage.  I have a yearly MRI so my neurosurgeon will know if surgery is necessary.  I was worried that the growth of the tumor was causing my eyelid problem but now since I see that so many people have the same thing it probably is not he tumor.
After  reading your eyes problems   I feel   dry eye related problems gets cured by doing  bates  eye exercises.  Start with simple eye ---sun  excercises  for 3 mins with eyes closed   you have to look towards sun at around  11  am  when with no cloudy weather.  Remeber to close your eyes.
Next
steam  your  closed  eyes for one minute  with  a electric   facial  steamer  and immediately cold pack  (cloth in plain water dipped   and kept on eyes closed for 10 mins. )  
Same as you, I'm amazed at how many have the same problem! I'd already been diagnosed with dry eyes at the eye hospital two years before this problem and assuming it's the same problem worsened I've just started on drops prescribed by my gp. Four times a day for one lot, then a gel type one at bedtime. I'm starting to feel a difference so hope it continues. Try your pharmacist for suggestions, might be cheaper if you have to pay for medical advice. Good luck!
Help me