Neurology Community
Can't open eyelid in the morning

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Can't open eyelid in the morning

Hello.
Last September, I was diagnosed with BFS. I still twitch, but have gone on to develop muscle aching, and tightness, all of which I understand to be characteristic of BFS. However, 2 weeks ago, I developed a frightening symptom: my left eye will not open - without struggle - after a period of sleep. As I wake often during the night, this can happen several times a night, and in the morning. It happens every night.
Is this related to BFS or is this a symptom of something more serious?
Thanks in advance,
EVNY
Believe it or not...we share similar symptoms.  Mine began with tightness in my head, ear pressure, and difficulty opening my eye upon wakening.  I described it as feeling like I had Botox to paralyze the muscles.  In fact, I also found it difficult to raise my eyebrows.  That symptom finally resolved itself.  Now I am faced with internal trembling, muscle twitching, and severe fatigue.  My neuro said my clinical evaluation - normal.  MRI w/wo contrast - normal.  He said that the tension in my neck could cause these symptoms.  I'm not totally convinced about that.  I will be anxious to know what you find out since our symptoms mimic one another.  I am 52 years old and hope that it is nothing more than a hormone or thyroid issue.  Best wishes to you from someone who understands!
I am a 35 year old mother I have had migraines since I was a teenager about 5 weeks ago I got a migraine so bad I had lost vision in my left eye had difficulty opening it and had numbness in left arm went to nuerologist have had cat scans neck exrays due to stiff neck also with this and went threw a series of brain mris.mras,mrvs with and without contrast they know have me on medicine called topamax for the migraines witch I have read that is also used for seizuires and have me on a med called maxalt for migraines instead of what I have been on for years but said all my test are normal I still have lite to moderate pressure over my left eye my vision is back and migraine has subsided but I would like further answers not getting any??? I still have light sensitivity its like living in a cave at my house and I can't drive at night the eye doctor did a eye exam said my eyes where 20/20 great I was good to go haha..
Thank you for posting your comments.  I thought I was going crazy with the same symptoms as you. I am currently being treated for a sinus infection.  It is actually my 3rd sinus infection this year and I am wondering if this is related.  I too have the neck discomfort, a lightheaded feeling and what I call fog brain.  I had stage 1 breast cancer last year and I attribute all of my problems now to the chemo.  I will check this site in a few days to see if anyone else suffers the same problems.  Thank you again!!!
I have maglignant follicular thyroid cancer which I believe to be under control.  However, in January, 2008, I woke up and could not open my right eye.  I also felt dizzy but finally made it to the bathroom.  Since that time, waking up in the middle of the night, my right eye will not open, then two weeks ago, my left eye would not open and my right eye was okay.  This week the worst happened, both eyes would not open.  I was/am petrified.  I have discussed this with 3 eye doctors, 2 of which are specialists and my own nurse practitioner - not one of these doctors have offered any answer and I do not know where to turn.  I am 67 years old.  NP said it is not a sinus problem nor do I have any virus.  I had a CAT scan a year ago, nothing showed up.
I have the exact same thing as you. It comes more in the summer when i am hot and my eyes are hot and dry and tired.

I am being investigated at the moment for either lupus or MS. It is quite a freaky thing when you wake up and your eye is shut, and mostly I have to force it open again, its almost like the muscles have stopped working.  I mentioned it to my GP and she just said it was all to do with my illness.

What is BFS?
I was very interested in your post. I have had the same symptoms after my chemo. In fact, the swelling in my sinuses had more than doubled.  I had to go on a steroid.  It took two ct scans to figure this out;  It was so painful that  I couldnt even be around family.  I thought I was going to die literally.  Since then, I have had constant sinus infections. I understand this is common for chemo only my case was a bit different.  
Itoo. had neck discomfort and all the other symptoms you described.  
good ole chemo.
I have very similar problems in that I can't open my eyelids after a deep sleep.  Often, I have to physically open them with my fingers.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  I'm relieved to find others with the same problem.  
It has started happening to me also, in the morning i cannot open my left eye, and i have to pull it open with my fingers, I have had past symptons of eye infections in the last few months, which have died down, but now this is startomg again, i dont know much about it but i am going to a doctor to see when they say, i havnt had any cancer or any simptons other people have posted about seeing as i am only 14 years old, i will post again after i have been to see a GP.
i have similar problem few days back, Eye doctor prescribe ointment and drop for infection in eye. still i am feeling discomfort in the morning time.
Hi, I've been having the same problem.  When I wake up from a deep sleep or early morning can't open my eyes.
I've seen the eye specialist and she can't detect anything abnormal.  It's the scarriest feeling.  I have to open them with my fingers and still my vision seems not focused.  It happened again last night.  I am 50 years old and have a brain injury 7 years ago caused by a chiropractor.  I'm wondering if it has anything to do with that.  
I thought I was the only one...
In searching the internet, Mayo CLinic lists this as a symptom in a condition called myasthenia gravis.
Two months ago, my left eye became more and more difficult to open in the morning. Now neither eye will open until a good 2 minutes of massage. They are starting to close during the day now too. To help with the problem solving here, I have MS and am going to ask my neurologist to have the test for myasthenia gravis.  No one knows for sure. I'm as scared and frustrated as all of you.
There are several reasons that an eyelid won't open that are quite serious. On the other hand simple vitamin B-12 deficiency can cause this problem. It won't hurt to try sublingual B-12 with folic acid (double dose) for a few days. If this is the cause it should clear within two weeks.
Hi.I read your response to smith and all the others  with great intrest.I have been having the same problem for a few mths now.I have IIH/PTC,diagnoised a yr ago.Recently I had an "episode" where I couldnt speak properly for over 3 hrs. After many tests in the hospital, the drs are divided in their diagnoise.Some say TIA, others  a complicated migraine.I mentioned my eye problem to my neuro when I saw her last week and she just said "hmm".
Would you mind sending on the  several reasons to me that you suspect would cause this? I would be most grateful and it would help me in my research. Thanking you, Cath278
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The condition of eyelid stiffness is known as Blepharitis. The most common causes are- Dryness of the eye, Strained muscles around the eyelids and accumulation of excess oil at the edge of the eyelid. The simplest cleansing process, which is also recommended to clear signs of inflammation, is to wash around the eyes with warm water, then rub the fingers lightly and laterally across the closed eyelids. This removes any accumulated oil on the lid edge, and if practiced regularly blepharitis may never occur. If the symptoms persist, please consult an eye surgeon. The condition may not be related to BFS. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!
Hi Envy,  I am 51 year old female and have had trouble opening my eyes after a sleep for about a year.  I have blepharitis and from everything i have read it would appear this is conected to dry eye symptom.  I will try some of the lubes and drops recommended and will let you no how i go i hope you are going ok
Dear Dr. While Blepharitis is indeed a possible issue, the majority of writers have said that their muscles are non-cooperative---not necessarily simply stuck from eye gunk. As I understand it also, Blepharitis can be the result of a herpes simplex and long-untreated can lead to blindness in some situations.

I do wonder, however, if there is a chance/risk that some of these writers have symptoms of tinea (as dandruff, athlete's foot, or even warts---linked to herpes). I have a sneaky suspicion, though not much in journals, yet, that there could indeed be a connection--even to affecting immune system and nerve endings with MS-like symptoms. Thoughts?
I have been experiencing a closed eye for a few months now.  No infections or injuries.  Sometimes just lying on my back with my head to the side I can kind of feel it happening then too.  During the night quite often and in the morning and usually just the left eye but sometimes in the right.  Just wondering if you have tried anything that helps or have found out any new information!
I'm 74, female, in relatively good health. my youngest daughter died tragically five years ago, I've cried a river.....now for the past month after sleeping at night I have to open my eyelids with my fingers in the morning..I went to my opthamalogist he says dry eyes and to use drops but it hasn't gone away yet...I had new carpeting put in just before this problem and I do feel my head is stuffed up in the morning....also I get physical therapy for my neck when there's a flare-up - which hasn't happened this past three months. I'm thinking perhaps there's a connection with the nerves in my neck but also, I never eat meat and perhaps I do have a B 12 deficiency--it's a mystery...I'm okay in the daytime so far but sometimes my eyes do feel heavy
I have myastenia gravis and Sjogren;s Sydrome and it happens to me in both eyes but more in the right. I don't understand why because MG gets better with rest (muscles are restored) so it happening after I've been asleep for 6 or more hours makes no sense. My Nuerologist increased my nightime  dose of mestinon just today. I see what happens, i did have problems with this before and he put me on the time release mestinon but cramps were severe in my legs and feet from it.
Amazing!  I just thought I would 'Google' my symptoms (left eyelid won't open in the a.m. unless I pry it open--after that, it's OK)... and lo and behold all these other fine people have similar symptoms.  There's some comfort in numbers... at least I'm not alone.  I have been taking plenty of Vitamin B12 so I doubt it's that.  MS is in the family, although I haven't been to a doctor in many years.  True, I am under a lot of stress.  I have also had strange symptoms of numbness in my left toes and left-hand pinky finger for about 6 months... but these seem to have subsided.  Have we all gone hypochondriac?  HA  Well, at least the eyelids don't hurt!  Since I can't afford a doctor, I suppose I will continue to self-diagnose.  Blessings to all and keep on looking up!
In addition to my left eyelid not opening in the a.m. unless I pry it open, that eye has also begun to excessively "weep"--and this occurs all day long--and has more than normal thick "gunk" (for lack of a technical term).  
I also was experiencing numbness and occasional stinging in a couple of my toes on my left foot and in my left pinky finger and ring finger that lasted for about 6 months... but this symptom has pretty much disappeared lately... and the the eyelid thing started.  I also have occasional sharp pains in my left temple.  Somebody suggested (on a different numbness forum) that it could be a vitamin B-12 deficiency.  I took vitamin B-12 like crazy for a couple of months but it didn't stop the numbness.  I also kept reading about the possibility of MS.  On the that forum, the range of treatments and procedures were amazing and it did not seem like any of the various types of doctors agreed or honed in on the same diagnosis.  
The truth is still out there!  
I have been experiencing the same effect. For a few weeks now I have problems opening my eye, I have to wait about 5 minutes after waking trying every so often to open it until I'm able to force open it (without using my hand). I then get a tingling in the eye and a feeling as if something is in it, it slightly feels dry and all this occurs only in the left eye. I have been taking lots of B-12 and daily vits, so don't that's the problem. I am also troubled with tingling and numbness in my right hand even using it. The hand/fingers tingling has been going on for a longer time, maybe two months now. I have none of the conditions as others have mention and the only neurological family history is Parkinson's disease. It's scary because I don't want to end up forcing my eye to open with my hand, I am only 28 years old. I have recently gone under high amounts of stress (amounts that I have never experience) and wonder if that could be a possible culprit.

I'm wondering for those long term suffers (who posted a year or two ago) if they have had any relief or have been diagnose and presribed something to alleviate the symptoms.

I have had a complete blood test a few months back and was clear of all STDs so Herpes long-term issues is not a possibility for me. Plus, since that test, I have not engage in any sexual activity. MG seems possible but after reading up on it, I kinda doubt it since symtoms (symptoms) are suppose to improve with rest. Also, Blepharitis doesn't seem likely since there is no crusting or other symptoms of the disorder. Any other suggestions, please advise
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Sjorgens Syndrome - dry eyes, blurry
vision, head feels as though it is fogged and difficulty opening my eyes
during the night and am.  I am due to have my tear ducts occluded to help
conserve the fluid.  The eye opening difficulties became a problem about
three years ago and have subsequently returned.  I use eye drop and
gels to keep them lubricated.  
Just out of curiosity, how many live in a home built after 2000?  I am concerned about the condo I am in might have Chinese drywall in it.
One more thought and then I'll stop:  Is everyone drinking enough WATER?  I know I drink diet sodas because I don't care for water... and my optometrist says it's the "dry eye" thing (she has the same problem)!

Anyway, I'm trying to drink more water and I'll report back later if that helps!  
Happy to report that I have been getting some relief by DRINKING MORE WATER!!!  Also, I use eyedrops first thing upon awakening (per my doctor's advice)... and that seems to help greatly.  Best wishes to all.
Just curious here:  Has anyone else been drinking a lot of Winn-Dixie diet sodas?  It seems like after I stopped drinking them, my eye problems have diminished.  Maybe just a fluke?
If MS runs in your family, you need an MRI with any similar MS symptoms.

There are low cost health clinics, it will take awhile which is exactly why you should seek diagnosis early.

God Bless,

I have the same problem.My left eye wont open in the morning,sometimes both eyes.It feels like a muscle thing.
Anyway,I think I have lyme disease and that might be causing it.
Anyone else on here have lyme disease?
I have the same problems as many of you on here! I get frequent migraines and have neck problems and literally cannot open my eyes in the am. Literally no matter how hard I try to open them I cannot. I asked an eye Dr and he just said things change as we get older. This cannot be the right answer. I am 34 years old. It has been happening for at least a year now where it is every single day. argh!
I am a 43 year old female and have the same problem.  Two years ago I had a terrible reaction to Cipro (only 3 doses) and it put my neurological system out of wack for months. (severe anxiety, muscle pain, numbing of my arms, legs and face, one scarey moment of blindness, loss of appetite, months of insomnia, bulging eyes and other miserable side effects) after having to go on Lexapro, fortunately it set my system back.  I immediately got off the Lexapro after getting better.  I have been fine other then a slight feeling of numbness in my knees.  I was wondering if anyone with these eye symptoms was ever on Cipro, Floxin, or Leviquin or any other fluoroquin antibiotic.  Just wondering if maybe there was some connection.    
I have had this same issue with not being able to open my left eye more so than the right. I had a concussion in May 2010 and a few months later this started. I would be wide awake and my eyelids did not move I have to use my fingers to spread the eyelids open. My neurologist does not feel it is neurological  because my MRI is clean. He said it is depression from my car accident. I feel like something else is really wrong.
Hi everyone,
Same problem!!  Started happening over the last 3-4 months.  Fine through the day but at the end of the day, when i'm lying back watching TV my left eye starts to get heavy and wants to close.  When I wake in the night or in the morning I have to pull my eyelid up to open.  Once my eyes are open they seem to be fine for the rest of the day.  I had a small stroke about a year ago and have been taking asprin and blood pressure medicine.  I notice since I have been taking that that my skin has dried out - makes you wonder if it does have something to do with keeping hydrated.   My GP had never heard of it.  Am contemplating seeing an eye specialist now.  Otherwise past history all OK.   It is comforting to know other people have a similar problem.  It really is weird.  Any other answers yet??
update...my condition of eyes not opening through the night has worsened. My Rh doctor said to use a nightime eye gel...I did and it does nothing. Also i have been using B-12 subligal for years and even was put on B-12 injections everyday for low energy this year and it did not improve the eye problem. My daytime eye pain and dryness (from Sjogrens Sydrome) has also worsened, i use drops 3-5 times a day. Everyone can see my eyes blinking constantly and the tiredness in them. Also by early afternoon you can see the droppy eyelids from the Myastenia Gravis. Neither my Nureo or Rh Doctor seem concerned, so i trust it is something i have to live with. Warm compresses are a wonderful relief!!!
I too have had problems with my LEFT eye lid not opening in the morning and during the night when I wake up.  This started about 2 weeks ago,  I am 61 years old and relatively healthy.  I have never had dry eyes and do not believe it is from that.  There may be a correlation with the few people who talked about lack of water and drinking a lot of diet pop.  This started happening with me when I went on a diet pop binge and drank 2 quarts of it in 2 days and also drank a lot of other regular as well as diet soft drinks.  I have read articles about people who drink a lot of soft drinks having symptoms similar to MS, and in some cases have been diagnosed with MS.  They quite drinking pop, and their symptoms went away.  I have not had any pop in 4 days and will continue to start drinking a lot of water an hope this scary things goes away.  I do not have insurance to go and see a doctor.
What's up with just the left eye?  Both my eyes are doing this!  I'm looking for help!  I drink lots of water and exercise.  I'll look into the B12 thing and when i did take a B multi supp in the past I didn't seem to have this issue.. so maybe...
BTW.. we moved to Tenn in November.  I never had this problem in the NW.. maybe it's the climate.. hummmm

what do you all think of that possibility?
I believe the diagnoses of BFS is Bull ******* ****.
I am also 52 years old and can't open my left eye of a morning-  it is painful to even try.   My doctor just had me go through a series of tests- one of which is only at our teaching hospital.  Haven't gotten results yet.  Symptoms have since moved into right eye will let you know what they find and name if tests.  Chrisbyla
Hi, my name is Tina Praetorius and I am 47 years old.  I was told to write my story to see if someone may be able to help me. My hope is someone has heard of or even has my same symptoms.

Twelve years ago, I woke up and was totally blind. I could not physically open my eyes.  When someone would forcefully open them, the eyeball itself was rolled back in my head.  I was that way for 3 weeks.      While they were shut during this first time, I suffered with major headaches and my eyes felt as if I had cut glass in them all the time, it was very painful.  Then one day they opened.

This sort of thing would happen every few months but would usually only last 1 day.  I just learned to live with it, and on those days, I would just try to rest and relax. My fear this time, as it became more frequent, was that I would have a repeat of twelve years ago.
Well, on March 28, 2011 they did the same thing, they were closed that morning when I woke and didn’t reopen until late that evening. I didn’t really think anything of it, except it happened again on April 3, 2011.  I was totally blind for 2 days and it has been going on every day since then.  

The symptoms this time are a little different from 12 years ago. I don’t feel as if I have cut glass any longer.  I still have headaches every day, some days worse than others, however, now my eyes feel like I have a bad case of the flu.  I still cannot open them when I awake, and like before, when someone tries to forcefully open them, my eye balls are rolled back into my head, again leaving me totally blind.  I have seen a top eye specialist and a top Neurologist. I am currently under the care of Dr. Joseph Jankovic, M.D., who has diagnosed it as Blepharospasm.   He did say that I did NOT have a classic case of Blepharospasm. His reasons are because my eyes do not just shut at random times, I wake up and cannot open them, and the eye balls are rolled back. Another reason it is not a classic case is because once they open during the day they remain open until I return to sleep.

I have had an MRI of the brain and the result was Negative as far as Dr. Irr (1st Neurologist I saw in early April) could see.  I have taken anti-depressant medication (they thought it would help the spasms), and I have also had the BTX injections. Neither of these treatments worked.  Since taking the BTX injections, my eye sight has worsened. My eyes are very blurry and tired feeling all the time (A worse case of the flu). Also, my eyelids and beneath my eyes are dark brown, like I have brown makeup on all the time.

Dr. Jankovic’s office has said they don’t know what to do, and that perhaps I need to see a psychiatrist.  My husband has talked with a Neuro Psychiatrist, and was told that I didn’t need to see a Psychiatrist, but a Neurologist.  It seems as if they just want to say see someone else because they don’t know.

I am at the end of my rope, I am about to lose my job and I need help.  If you have any suggestions, or know of a doctor that might be helpful, (I don’t care where they are located) please let me know.

Thank you for your time in reading my story.  
Me too....Im 47 years of age and my right eye wont open without manually opening it with my fingers upon waking. My eye does seem to be very dry at times, but I work nights so just thought it was related to the dry eye.  I have had hayfever for the first time ever this year?? dont know if anything to do with it.  It does seem to be a problem with the muscle of the eyelid and just by perhaps coincidence my right eye has always been 'lazy'..another possible conection...who knows.  Lets hope one of us gets a definative answer soon!  Julz  
I am a 39 year old female. A few months ago my left eye began to not open upon wakening. No other symptoms. Wondering if it has to do with neck pressure as I crack my neck on left side in mornings and sometimes through out day. Going for an MRI and blood tests. We shall see.
So, let me get this straight: this has happened to all of us several times (to say the least), the common related things are, in order, neck trouble, sinus trouble, and having recieved Chemotherepy. Almost everyone who has seen a doctor for about the same sysmptoms has been diagnosed with something different, right? Does anyone have a solution that actually works?
I am in agreement with Dr RajgopalI  and was interested to see so many other people suffer this and would have to agree that it feels more like a weakness of the eyelid muscle - even though I do not have much, if any,  'gunk' or 'crustiness' around my eyes these days.

However, I have been told by my Optician that I do have dry eye symptoms/blepharitis.   I have been advised to use a product which only Opticians stock (at least in UK) for cleaning around the eye lids called 'Lid Care' (as already suggested, warming and gently massaging the eyelids first) and also to use  'dry eye' drops.    

As an initial trial, have some dry eyes drops beside your bed, which you can just reach out for, in the morning.  Without fully opening your eyes  squeeze in a drop  in the affected eye;  in my case I find that this usually -  instantly - releases the eyelid - if the eyelid can be released so easily and quickly after the drops, this says to me that 'dry eye'/blepharitis is likely to be the cause.  

I think if the people with this complaint were to try this and see if there was any improvement, it might ease their concern a bit.  Following that experiement - do see your optician to ensure that the Blepharitis and other linked conditions are not needing further treatment.  I do not give this information as an answer to 'self treatment'  - it is just meant as an initial experiement to see if the morning drops help you - if they do you probably have dry eyes/blepharitis, so see your Octician/Doctor etc.

Masarelle
I've had the sleepy eye thing going on for about 3 months. I do get migraines and wonder if that has caused my neck muscle spasms or tremors. I'm 53 and don't know what to think. What have you found out?
I have never had chemo, I haven't had an infection or any other illness. I started experiencing this three years ago. I cannot open my eyes upon awaking. I decided to research the condition after discovering this morning that I can open my eyes using my fingers. Three years ago, I fell down the stairs at home due to this. What is it and how can it be cured?
There seems to be a lot of us with this eye not opening complaint.  So how come no doctor can figure out the problem?  I wonder if mine is related to thyroid medication.  I started on thyroid 2 years ago. Within 6 months started having crescent flashes from the outer side of my left eye.  Then a few months later, the eye not opening thing began.  Saw an eye lid specialist who ruled out Blepharitis.  Now the exact same thing is beginning with the right eye.  Has anyone written to Dr. Oz?
Hello, I am 29 (2012) and since 2010 I'am experiencing morning lazy eyelid (right side) and morning dry eyes (bilateral). I must admit that a little eyebraw drop is present on the same side. I susspect a neurological problem (even it is the main couse or it is a seccondary cause). Not sure what to investigate for but wanted you to know another one.

Regards!

PS: I am studying to become an eye doctor (hope to figure it out this one) :).
This is my first check to the Internet to see if there are others coping with this same situation.  Each morning my right eye is shut.  In the evening, while watching tv, my right eye may close and I struggle to open it before going to bed.  It has been eight weeks ago when I had a very minor infection.  I was on a trip and did not treat until I got home a week later.
First doctor (optometrist) prescribed antibiotic eye drops.  Infection was gone, but difficulty opening my right eye upon awakening began.  Week later, second doctor (ophalmologist), prescribed oasis eyedrops and mike ointment.   No change.  Third doctor (ophathamologist) last week, said it was an allergy, my eyelid has thickened, and practiced steroid drops and ointment - fluorometholone 0.1%.  There has been no improvement.  I will keep checking this site and posting.  
I was prescribed cipro and levaquin for what my dr's thought was an infection.  It turns out I never had infection and the antibiotics seemed to have kicked my neuro symptoms into high gear.  I was already having some minor issues before cipro and levaquin, but they definitely seemed to make my symptoms much worse.  Anyone else have similar experience?
I have the same problen, only it's both eyes that will not open. I have to force them open. And when it happens it feels like the muscles are spasing.  Anyone have any ideas why this happens? It came right out of the blue and has been going on for 2 wks.
My uncle unable to open his eyes during day time and its a very hard time to see the persons, during night time its getting free. Please tell me some solvation for my uncle problem.
Skyhag, did you ever find out what was wrong with you? I have very similar symptoms and am a f/a. I am worried.
Well i have my right eye closed for approximatley 5 seconds before it will slowly open in the mornings  and vision blurry for approx 30 secs afterwards. It started after i had quite a bad fall from my horse where i landed on my back and got whiplash. After 4 months since the fall i am getting also severe pain behind right ear and wonder if they are related at all. I get very tired and evan wake up tired but do work physically hard all day so could be due to that as well. GP sent me to an eye specialist who said eyes are fine and had no answers to my heavy eye lid. Not sure what to do now as it cant be right.
I have the same problem with eyelid not wanting to open and occasional tingling on the side of the face during the day. I have been having weekly facial and gentle neck massage which seems to be helping with the facial tension. I do feel my eyes are dry and I have a suspicion that I need to actually cry away latent grief but have no tears. This may seem a strange solution but how many people on this forum feel this way. I softly touch on my inner grief before going to sleep but don,t want to delve into it as it will be like opening a dam of emotions. Crying would be such a relief but I won,t let the tears come. I have numbed myself to stop feeling the pain of chronic grief and my body is reacting.
If I may ask you a question... for two days I have had trouble opening my eyes.  Today it took two tries and I had to "tell" them to open.  Also my veins are "open" in my arms and on my chest, which for me is usually a bad sign.  I just had a four day migraine and on Monday bought some extra strength Tylenol at Kaiser.  It was a four day migraine beginning on Sunday.  I'm seriously wondering if the Tylenol might be tainted again... have you taken any?  I haven't had any for ages because of the problem with it and decided I needed migraine relief.  CONFIDENTIALITY  This email and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.  The only medical reason I can find is conjunctivitis, but I don't feel or have any of the symptoms of this.  I am also having a hard time with body heat regulation.  It feels like menopause, but not possible or me.  Has your problem stopped?  If it is some tension in the shoulders or neck, there is a thing that you can do where you shurg/roll your shoulders forward several times to loosen up your neck muscles, but this seems like it could be environmental.  I have never heard of it before and now am reading about so many people who have it.  I have never had chemo, although had Cipro two years ago.  Just titrated off Topamax.  Have Hashimotos.  Will try the warm compresses and hope that's it... please advise if you have been on tylenol recently or been exposed to formaldehyde/pesticides.  Thank you
Makes me wonder also about after drinking a soda, then after say a three hour nap i am kinda awake, but after about 1/2 to an hour my eyes finally decide they want to open.? Don't know if this is always the case, but you bring up a Great Point...also I try & drink  water a lot..but not sure if i really am drinking the required amount
There was a report in the Daily Mail about dry eyes and being unable to open them, as the eye was so dry, and that this is related to spending too much time in front of your computer screen. Experiments had noticed that we blink a lot less when reading from our pc's, which is very similar to the old torture effect of shining a light constantly in your eyes. They recommend not using your pc for at least 2 hours after getting up and 2 hours before going to bed,and then within a month you will notice your symptoms disappear.
I may have got some of those facts wrong as I  am relying on my memory, but the report made sense,and it has worked for me
I just wanted to throw in my two cents after reading all of this. I have been experiencing this for some time now. I am 25 female. Diagnosed with connective tissue /auto immune three yrs ago. They were unsure of what exactly but there is something there. Current doc has labs in for what she  believes is a failing thyroid. For about 5months my left eyelid will not open upon waking. I have to manually open it. Then it will shut again. I have to them rub it for a few moments and it will stay open. Of course then my vision is blurry. I take 200mgs a day of topomax (topamax) for severe migraines. No soda for me as many here have mentioned... Topomax (topamax) ruins the taste of it. Just water. No other meds of treatments. But there seems to be possibly a thyroid connection or autoimmune link? Quite annoying imo *sigh*
I have a similar problem to all the posts here. Only happens to my right eye. Sometimes I can feel my eye getting "heavier" as I sleep. Always happens to me when I sleep on my left side. When I feel the heaviness coming on, if I turn on to my right side, it eases. I have also found that if I move lower on my pillows so that my neck just below my ear is unpressured from the pillow, the feeling goes away. All of this tells me that the problem is mechanical. I am sure that there is a technical term fbut this condition but I have written it off as a pinched nerve, or perhaps restricted blood flow. Dehydration might be the underlying cause, as could pre-diabetes. Maybe it will help if anyone reading this forum can try to explain more about their situation when it happens. Like on which side they are lying? I would also be interested to know if anyone else can also alleviate the symptoms by changing side, or relishing pressure on their neck.There is some comfort in realizing that others have similar symptoms, and that you are not alone. And since there are no posts which tell of dread causes, perhaps this is not something to be too stressed about, especially since some sufferers have had these symptoms for many years and are still alive and kicking! Lastly, a request. If anyone does find some relief, please take the time to come back onto this forum and to post an answer.
Hi:  Just thought I'd join the group to let you know I'm experiencing this problem too with my either left or right eye not opening in the mornings.  It's a muscle-type thing... no gunk or stuff.  I have to physically open it with my fingers.  After washing my eyes with water and putting drops, it goes away.  I saw an opthamologist 2 months ago and was diagnosed with dry eye. ...He said my nerves were fine and no Bleph.... I'm putting gel eye drops in eyes 4 - 6 times/day.  This problem with eye muscles just started about a month ago.  I've had blood test and MRI recently so don't think I have anything else.  Since no one has found an answer, I guess there isn't one.  ....I worry that I may not be able to open someday at all...I've heard some horror stories. ... I did just stop Vit B-12 shots as my blood test was very high for B-12 even 2 months later.  I'm a vegetarian...but still eat eggs which have Vit B-12.... so I will start taking Sublingual B-12 again.  Also, I guess I have been on the computer a little more than usual..... so that could be the problem too. Tired eye strain?    If anyone has learned anything new, please post :)
I posted on here one year ago about my left eye not opening upon waking in the morning. Since then I have been to my Family Physician, Opthamologist and Neurologist. I have had numerous blood tests and an MRI. All came out clean. I was told to use OTC eye drops in which I did and did not help at all. All the above doctors can not find anything wrong. I still suffer with the left eye that will not open upon waking:/
I had cataract surgery nearly three weeks ago and, since then, I have problems with my right eye feeling sore and difficulty opening in the morning.  That is also the side that I most often sleep on.  I read a lot of posts on here but none seemed to reference cataract surgery as being the predecessor to the problem occurring.  I go back to surgeon for 3 wk checkup next week so will ask him then and post here if there is anything helpful to share.  Thanks to all who took the time to post; it was helpful knowing that I am not the only one with this problem.
Maybe we ought to send our comments to Dr. Oz!  Seems that our regular doctors don't have a clue as to why we have this problem.  Mine has gone from not opening at night when I awaken from sleep to shutting down around 10pm.....my eye is telling me it's bedtime!  Doesn't matter if I'm on the computer, reading a book, or watching TV.  Maybe we all need to look for a common thread.  My left eye problem began 6 months have going on thyroid medication for hypothyroid.  Someone else mentioned thyroid.
I am so glad I found this forum. I have had such issues with my eyes or almost a year now. I went to an eye doctor who diagnosed dry eye, gave me Systane drops. They gave me headaches so stopped using them after 5 days. After that I started having trouble opening my eyes in the night. I still have this problem every night. Wake up several times and try to pry the lids open but it feels like sand under my lids. It takes several minutes to get them open and when I do, my vision is blurred and takes some time to clear. Went back to the eye Dr who just brushed it off and gave more of the same drops, which i tried using sgain with the same resulting headaches  I have recently had lots of blood work done because I suddenly developed several symptoms, joints aching, stiff neck, lymph nodes swollen, headaches, extreme fatigue. Labs all came back clear except the Dr. Said I have Mono. I'm 64 and happily married so no, I haven't been dating any teenage boys, lol. I'm a nurse so I am off work for 2 weeks to try and get over thus but my eye problems are very concerning. I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one with this, thank goodness for the Internet. If anyone has heard of anything new on this subject I would love to hear it.
I had this problem several years ago until I started on Rosacea pill. -Minocycline -100 mg.   I would like to get off it but every time I try the severe eye problem returns.  Only in the mornings, but every morning, usually both eyes are suctioned shut, until I somehow manage to break the suction, but all are painful as my muscles try to open the eyes, but the suction prevents it.  I pull in the middle of the skin, pull at a corner, etc.  This started after menopause, and I suspect the Minocycline works because there is slight swelling to all aspects of my face, including the inside of my nose. Parts of my eye must be swollen as well. At a lower dose my eye problems returned.  I was hoping this thread had diagnosis and other treatments.  Good luck to you all.

HI..I also have the same affliction in my right eye..it started last summer ...the first time it happened It was so surprising..I thought I had a stroke..I had to physically open the eye with my fingers..I also work nights and wondered if the air conditioning dried it out...but why all of a sudden I have worked nights for 10 years. I am aging though and my mother complained of dry eyes as well...mine always seem to be so red and irritated at times. Before this happened...I had overused Visine to the point where my eyes were continually red and using Visine didnt work....I looked like I was crying all the time lol....just wondering if other people have used Visine and perhaps this is a factor?
Please try natural treatment. I would suggest you to have a couple of pure carrot juice and wheat grass juice twice.
This would relieve you from any nurological disorder if any.
hi, my father had cataract surgery a few years ago, and has recently had a lot of problems opening his eyes. the opthamologist has diagnosed him with blephorospasm and the only hopeful treatment seems to be botox. he's had one treatment to no progress. this is a very serious condition with very little answers but not giving up hope. i'm looking at some alternative treatments since western medicine seems to be all trial and error at the moment.
Blepharospasm is a neurological condition characterized by forcible closure of the eyelids.
Blepharo means "eyelid". Spasm means "uncontrolled muscle contraction". The term blepharospasm ['blef-a-ro-spaz-m] can be applied to any abnormal blinking or eyelid tic or twitch resulting from any cause, ranging from dry eyes to Tourette's syndrome to tardive dyskinesia. The blepharospasm referred to here is officially called benign essential blepharospasm (BEB) to distinguish it from the less serious secondary blinking disorders. "Benign" indicates the condition is not life threatening and "essential" is a medical term meaning "of unknown cause". Patients with blepharospasm have normal eyes. The visual disturbance is due solely to the forced closure of the eyelids.
Blepharospasm should not be confused with:
Ptosis - drooping of the eyelids caused by weakness or paralysis of a levator muscle of the upper eyelid
Blepharitis - an inflammatory condition of the lids due to infection or allergies
Hemifacial spasm - a non-dystonic condition involving various muscles on one side of the face, often including the eyelid, and caused by irritation of the facial nerve. The muscle contractions are more rapid and transient than those of blepharospasm, and the condition is always confined to one side
I do a lot of research now, because I recently got the same problems:  red eyes, burning, itching, watering and can not open my left eye. Here is another piece of info:

Apraxia of lid opening is a condition in which patients who have otherwise normal eyelids have difficulty opening the eyelids. This is a problem in the circuitry for opening the eyelids

Mixed benign essential blepharospasm with apraxia of lid opening is in my experience rarely initially diagnosed by the examining physician.  Moreover it is even missed by those physicians specialized in the management of this condition, including ophthalmologists and neurologists.  Apraxia of lid opening was first described by Goldstein and Cogan in 1965 as “a non-paralytic motor abnormality characterized by the patient’s difficulty in initiating the act of lid elevation.”  Apraxia is generally defined as the inability to carry out purposeful movements in the absence of motor paralysis, sensory loss, or ataxia.  To paraphrase the definition of apraxia of lid opening, it is a patient who reports, “I can’t will my eyes to open.”

In the classical presentation, benign essential blepharospasm occurs in a woman with an average age of 55 who initially notices increased blinking and sensitivity to light.  This is followed by increasingly frequent intermittent forceful eyelid closure.
I have the problem too of not being able to open my eyes during the night or in the morning, it's because of dry eye syndrome . I use Similisan dry eye drops and they instantly feel better!
I have been having the same problem and I found out it's dry eye syndrom (syndrome). I use Similisan dry eye drops and they instantly feel better!
Hi:  My left eye wouldn't open in the morning and then my right eye later.  Luckly it didn't happen in both like yours..... After going to an Opthamologist, I went to a NeuroOphthamologist (never knew there was one) Neurologist with a sub specialty of Opthamology... She was great.  After a Normal MRI (with and without contrast) she said all was normal.  She also spent a lot of time with me... probably 45 minutes.  She explained that it is likely just a kink or cramp in my eye like when you have a cramp in your finger and can't extend it....Finally it did go away and I haven't had the problem since... although sometimes my eye is drooping in morning..... Another Opthamologist said to put a very hot washcloth on my closed eyes for a few minutes.  It does really help.  The minute I get up, I do this and then put in my eye drops as I also was diagnosed with Dry Eye.... I wish I had more to tell you and hope you get better like I did.... You should get an MRI too just in case.
Hi:  I'm so sorry about all of your problems.  (It's so sad that whenever a Dr. doesn't know what it is they say it psychological.) .... My eyes don't roll back.... However in searching for my problem... I did run into a blog entry (perhaps on this site?) where a woman was driving and it happened.  She had to have someone pick her up.  They said she finally went back east and got Botox shots around her eyes...it didn't say more..... You might want to research this further.....

FYI:  My problem:  My left eye wouldn't open in the morning and then my right eye later.  Luckly it didn't happen in both like yours..... After going to an Opthamologist, I went to a NeuroOphthamologist (never knew there was one) Neurologist with a sub specialty of Opthamology... She was great.  After a Normal MRI (with and without contrast) she said all was normal.  She also spent a lot of time with me... probably 45 minutes.  She explained that it is likely just a kink or cramp in my eye like when you have a cramp in your finger and can't extend it....Finally it did go away and I haven't had the problem since... although sometimes my eye is drooping in morning..... Another Opthamologist said to put a very hot washcloth on my closed eyes for a few minutes.  It does really help.  The minute I get up, I do this and then put in my eye drops as I also was diagnosed with Dry Eye.... I wish I had more to tell you and hope you get better like I did....
I see a lot of commonalities here. My left eye will not open on its own after sleeping at night.  Towards the end of the day it feels heavy and can ache.  I had stage 3 melanoma surgery in 2009 and a year of grueling interferon treatment until Sept of 2010.  I also have ischemic strokes from high blood pressure.  I don't see why the cancer treatments would have caused this over 2 years later.  I have had numbness on the left side of my face for over a year, but no eye problem until now.  My neurologist has put me on meds for Herpes Simplex 1 because I told her my eye situation gets worse when a sore in my nose is worse.  She thinks this might be causing the eye problem.  In addition, my thyroid was removed in 1997 and I recently was on Cipro, and I am a vegan (probably lacking in B12) and I don't drink much water.  Don't know where to start...maybe with the B12?
Did you follow up on the eyelid apraxia as a possibility for your condition? I have the same problem: my left eyelid won't open by itself upon awakening from sleep. I have to pry it open with my fingers-then its ok the rest of the day. Ophthalmologist also says dry eye and blepharitis, but it feels like a neuro-muscular problem to me--no crusting or stickiness and eye drops/gels don't help. Was researching the web last nite and found the topic "Benign Unilateral Apraxia of Eyelid Opening" and sounds just like me--one eyelid won't open after sleep without manual intervention, but then is ok for the rest of the day! Can be without blepharospasm, too. Nothing about what to do about it, though that I could find. I am going to mention it to my Ophthalmologist. Another potential tidbit for thought.
Not sure if you drink diet coke or not or use an artificial sweetner with aspertame?  Apparently, some of the side effects you mentioned are very similar to those of Aspertame users.  If this is the case, you may want to explore substituting with a natural sweetner like Honey or Stevia and get off the aspertame....  
i AM WORIED AS TWO WEEKS AGO MY RIGHT EYE WAS RED NO SCABBING, NO IRRITATION  JUST RED, THEN A COULE OF DAYS BEFORETHE INCIDENT  NOTICED WHITE GUNK LIKE CONJENTAVITIS, JUST IN THE MORNING AND IT CLEARED USUALLY IF IIT IS CONJECTAVITIS YOU WILL HAVE THIS ALL DAY LONG SCABBING, DID NOT TAKE IT TOO SERIOUSLY UNTIL LAST THURSDAY WHEN i TRIED TO OPEN MY EYES IT WAS STUCK LIKE TO MY EYEBALL NOT THE LASHES, SO i HAD TO MORE OR LESS OEN IT , AND SLIGHT AIN INTHE EYE WENT TO MY DOCCTOR WHO SAID IT WAS AN EYE INFECTION MY EYE WAS A BIT SMALLER THAN THE OTHER NO DISCHARGE AND THE REDNESS HAD GOONE IT WAS THERE  WHEN i WOKE IN THE MORNING BUT BY THE TIME i SAW HIM IT HAD GONE, i HAVE ALSO STRATED TAKING NEXIUM FORTY MG IN THE LAST MONTH OR SOOR WHEN i REALLY THINK i NEED IT AS i HAVE A FEELING OF SOMETHING STUCK IN THROAT FOR THE LAST YEAR ent AND GASTROSCOY SAID  EVERYTHING IS CLEAR, BUT IT COULD BE SILET REFULX AS i STATED GETTING AINS FROM MIDDLE OF THROAT TO TOP O F CHEST TAKING NEXIUM STO PED THE PAIN AND THE FEELING LIKE SOMETHING WAS STUCK IN THROAT TO SUBSIDED THOUGH NOT GONE FULLY, SO WHEN i FEEL IT IS WORSE i TAKE ONE, i HAVE BEEN GETTING CHLORSIG DROPS INTO MY EYE 3 TIMES A DAY 2 DROS IN THE  RIGHT EYE, DODCGTOR WANTED ME TO USE THE OINTMENT TWO TIMES A DAY BUT SAID VISION WILL BE BLURRY AND i HAVE TO WORK WITH CHILDREN, SO THE CHEMIST SAID TO USE IT 4 TIMES BUT i DO IT THREE AS i ALWYS FORGET OR RUN SHORT OF TIME, ANY WAY MY EYE IS NOT RED NOR GUNKY UT STILL HAVE THE DIFFICULTY OF OENING IT IN THE MORNIGAND HAVE TO FORCE IT OEN BOTH EYES LOOK NORMAL AT RESENT IT SEEMS LIK MY EYE IS REALLY DRY  THAT IS THE FEELING i GET,   i HAVE ALLERGIES AND WAS ON SLOAN TABLETS DURING SING GONE OF IT FOR MORE THAN A MONTH NOW
IS IT SOMETHING SERIOUS AS i AM WORRIED, ANY ASSISTANCE IS USEFUL
HG
Me :O
N I sleep alot but still don't feel like waking up
Hi, I have a problem of getting up in the morning..my bed timing is not standard, i keep changing it coz of my 1 year old baby...since few day I am not feeling well enough...I got my periods on 11 May 2013 since than I feel hot flushs early morning, feeling full pressure on my eyes, face swells, feeling sleepy...i checked my Blood Pressure its 129/74...If any one can advise me or else give me some solution that would be greatfull.

Thanks alot
It turned out to be a dry eye syndrome. 2 weeks ago I went to see an ophthalmologist and he told me to use Refresh Optive or Blink for 4 times a day for 1 month. It is much better now. I am also an hypochondriac, I become obsessed with the idea that I have a serious or life-threatening disease that hasn't been diagnosed yet. This causes significant anxiety and sometimes makes symptom worse.
I had your symptoms but with my left eye. In my case It turned out to be a dry eye syndrome. You should use moisturizing drops. I also had gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD). But I was taking Prilosec for a month and it helps.Now I eat less and mild food which doesn't cause an acid reflux, But it has nothing to do with your eye.
Thank you to all for posting a comment, I do too started to have the same problem a week ago , I am 64, left eye will not open in the morning when i wake up unless I help myself with my hand, I am really worried but reading all the posts I know I am not alone, I am going to the eye doctor next week and I will post what he says.  
Chris - I have the exact same thing.. only on my left side and now wondering if maybe this is due from an inflamed nerve I had in the base of my head, because from time to time that flares up again.. I went to bed last night with an headache and a ice pack on my neck woke up this morning and my eye was shut, almost like a numbing feeling to.
I have read all the posts here today. I have the same thing but with a twist.  My left eye started to HURT and both eyes couldn't stand any kind of light. Then my vision would seem to get fuzzy, almost like looking at the world through fog. Well off to the ER, ER Doc said , you have an eye infection. Got a script for some kind of drops. Oh Dear Lord this just made my eyes burn worse took hours for them to readjust. Didn't help! Suffering now with all that I can't open my left eye in the Am when I wake up. Never mind waking up several times during the night. After prying my eye open in the Am  It takes anywhere from an hour to two hours for my eyes to adjust to the house light, I don't dare go outside in the Sun. Happy to say today I go to the Ophthalmologist. I am 42 yrs old, I do suffer from migraines and had a concussion in 2009. I will post after he tells me, I PRAY he knows what it is! Bless you all
I had trouble opening eyes in the morning and had to put an ice cube on each eye in order to open them.  I think it was related to inflammation/swelling in my eye or surrounding skin.  My cortisol levels are very low (morning cortisol of 5) and the doctor put me on prednisone, working up to 7 1/2 mg per day.  I no longer have the problem of trying to open my eyes in the morning so it must have been a lack of glucosteroid cause.  ?????
Hello. This problem just started for me in my right eye. I have not been to a doctor yet. It all started last month. I woke up with in the middle of the night because my eye was watering profusely and would not stop. When I finally got fed up and went into the bathroom to investigate, to my horror, it was BLOOD! Running down my face from somewhere in my eye. No pain or anything. I cleaned it out and it has never happened again. Although every morning since then I have to pry my right eye open with my fingers. No gunk or anything. Its just like my eyelid has stopped cooperating. I also have neck and should pain pretty often, but I workout a lot and always chalk it up to muscle soreness..?? Has anyone else had the bleeding?
I hate to break it to you eye muscle sufferers, you're probably stuck with it. Mine started in the mid-90s, both eyelids, some mornings only one, some mornings both, muscles not working, eyes unable to open. They take at least 5 mins to open even with gentle massage, it is so frustrating. A couple of years later I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease (thyroid) which instantly explained the ptosis. Phew. Daily thyroxine hasn't fixed it so it's just something I've learned to live with. A couple of years after that I was diagnised with Sjogren's Syndrome and with that comes the bone dry eyes. So on those mornings my eyelid muscles decide to work, my SS decides it's time for some attention and so sticks my eyeballs to my lids. Sigh!  That takes 5 mins to fix too even though I have drops ready by my bedside. I tried Hypromellose eye drops but they caused my eyes to flare so now use Systane which I find soothing especially when the burning is severe. Supranettes eye wipes are soothing too. Hope this helps somebody.
I have read all postings and have noticed several unique sets of symptoms and histories that may indicate the cause for eyelid apraxia may be different in each of these sets.  My condition of L eyelid apraxia in am most resembles cp432 in that I have had a concussion and neck injury before the onset of eyelid and eyesite problems.  However, I have added complications which add to the difficulties in diagnosis. I developed benign positional vertigo,  middle ear damage, which was attributable to the blows on the head I sustained from an assault(hence the concussion).  Over a two year period, I have also been diagnosed with oesophageal candidiasis which was picked up in an upper endoscopy to examine the condition of my 10 year old lap nissen fundoplasty.  I believed the candida was present in many more sites in my body, especially my neck, mouth, ears and head, but only could obtain positive lab results from my nailbeds.  My ear canal cleared using an antifungal topical when anti-biotics did not, however, none of the swabs showed fungal growth.  In the past six months, I have had a lower leg blood clot and thrombophlebitis which did not residual damage and resolved within five weeks.  After that, a tendon spontaneously snapped (severed-complete tear) in my finger which was partially rejoined after using a splint for 10 weeks.  My finger will remain crooked but has a few mm of tendon use.  I have frequent (daily) headaches which are dull with a few flashes of intense pain on the left side which is the same side of my eyelid apraxia.  I take only lisinopril for elevated BP but have taken lisinopril with hydrochlorothiazide for more than 10 years.  My oesophageal candidiasis was eliminated due to a highly controversial (disagreements with prescribing doctors and myself) course of fluconazole for a period longer than was thought necessary by doctors.  I followed my own symptoms and took half the dosage recommended by Pfizer until I was able to be comfortable enough to stop entirely (approx 5 months).  A later endoscopy confirmed the candida gone, but showed scar tissue.  It is my opinion (I am a retired nurse (neuro) the extent of the candida was never known and may still be causing some of these seemingly unrelated diverse symptoms, both my eyelid, vision, neck pain, blot clot, and tendon deterioration.  The second I mention candida (I am in Scotland) doctors immediately think I need heavy psychotropic meds, because they believe me to be an anxious, crazy troublemaker.  The eyelid and double vision and blurry vision without glasses has become remarkably worse since the assault two years ago, as has almost all my other problems except the GORD, which was pre-existing.  If candida is not the culprit, perhaps it is the radicular symptoms from my three bulging cervical discs in my neck.????  I do not seem to be getting any better, although, before having the fluconazole, I honestly thought I was dying.  I forgot to mention, I have documented episodes of leg fasiculation (involuntary twitching and muscle contractions) that is often present  when resting but easily ignored.
Hi, I am not sure how old these posts are but I have the same thing. Finding it difficult to open my left eye in the morning. Almost feel like I have to push it open. Does anyone know what this is? Please post if you do. Thank you
I have same symptom and thought it was myasthenia gravis but just saw neurology and initial condition diagnosis is problems with peripheral nerves in my face due inflammation. I wake up and my right eye won't open
Thank you for posting this Maxwelian. After reading this I stopped drinking diet coke, which I have been addicted to for over 25 years. Not only has my right eye closing stopped in the last 5 days, but so has the dizzy spells and general aches and pains/numbness in my legs and arms that I have had for years..plus a general fogginess...my strong advice to anyone reading this is to try giving up diet soda for a month and see if your symptoms subside....its got to be better than going to the doctors and being put on medication!!! I now only drink black tea, green tea, water and limited coffee (1 cup or less a day)