Neurology Community
Cardiac Arrest leading to Brain Damage

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Cardiac Arrest leading to Brain Damage

My uncle had a cardiac arrest last Tuesday at the hospital and it took them 15-20 minutes to get his heart started.  They believe he has permanent brain damage.  He has been non-responsive so far.  At the beginning, he would look at us, and even showed tears when we sang to him or showed him pictures.  We thought it was good news that he was showing emotion and recognizing us, but the doctors did not give that much weight.  His condition began to decline and his liver was weakening, the doctors said.  He is a diabetic and needs kidney dialysis.  They took him off the ventilator Saturday.  I'm just wondering if that was too early; I've heard of cases where a coma patient gets better after several weeks or months.  What can you advise for his case?
Did they do tests for brain death criterian