I have been diagnosed with an aneurysm of the carotid artery. Currently is measures 1.38cm. I have also be told that this is a rare type of aneurysm and they don't want to operate until it gets a little larger. I know that this aneurysm was not there two and a half years ago. Why are they waiting to take care of this problem? Should I be altering my activities such as lifting heavier items, excerise, etc?
Hi Grace - I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. What a blessing that its been found before rupture. Hopefully, a doctor will come along soon and respond.
IMHO, I would ask if you've gotten a second opinion? It seems wise to alter your activities as you've suggested in your question such as lifting heavier items.
Did your doctor say anymore about location and type of annie on the carotid artery? Was it diagnosed via an angiogram? If you know it was not there 2 years ago then getting a second opinion seems like the wise thing to do ;-)
You take care and follow up if you don't mind. I am asking medhelp to start a forum specifically for aneurysms, hopefully we will see it soon.
It is truly a blessing that this has been found. Yeah, I would alter my exercise routines. Without exact knowledge of the problem it is impossible to say for sure if this will matter, but I would er on the side of prudence. Surgeons are special animals and they have reasons for what they recommend. There is a hazard in such operations and I suspect they don't want to expose you to risk unless it is absolutely positively necessary. Getting a second opinion is always a good idea. You are in my prayers.
Thank both of you for your replys. I have seen four surgeons. I am acutally the "finde" of the annie. I found a small lump under my right jaw a year ago last October. I had an appointment with my Cardiologist in February. I asked him what it might be and he performed a doppler because it was on my carotid artery. That is when we found it. We then had an MRI performed. The first surgeron can into the examination room after looking at the MRI and said, "surgery is not needed at this time. I'll see you in a year." and walked out. Prior to seeing him, another General Vascular Surgeon had advised me to not lift ANYTHING, not get stressed, or upset. That they would be taking a vein out of my leg and replacing the artery in my neck. Needless to say, this scared me.
Both my PCP and Cardiologist could not understand why we were waiting so I went to another surgeon. Since he was not in my "network", it cost me $225.00. He explained that it is a very rare type of annie. He has seen less than ten of them in his career. It is in the internal carotid artery and is not a "bubble" but the entire artery is dilated. He also explained that he would not consider surgery before it got to 1.6cm to 2cm. At that time, it was 1.3cm.
When I started having pain in my neck, my Cardiologist recommended I go back. I then found a doctor that would take my insurance. He performed another doppler and it is now 1.34cm. He advised me that he would look at surgery when it got to 1.4cm.
Thank you for your advise about the lifting. I live alone and so it will be difficult but I will try. Thank you again.
Wow, sounds like you have been quite thorough!! And what a blessing that you found it. It sounds like you have a great PCP and Cardiologist.
Would you mind sharing exactly where you found this lump? Was it protruding out a bit? I am asking because I asked a question a while back about my carotid artery and feeling like there was a lump but got no responses.
You take care and I hope everything goes well for you. If its ok, I am going to friend you. Don't know if you will continue to use the forum or not but I'd like to know what happens if that's ok.
It has been four years since this post. Can you update me on what is going on? I have a 1.3cm carotid artery aneursym that is not berry in shape, but a thinning of the artery wall. It too is at my jawline behind my right ear. I was just told to come back in 6 months. The vascular surgeon also said that I didn't have alter my life in any way. I asked if he was sure about that because 16 years ago when I had a 2cm aneursym on the same artery but in my head, the neurosurgeon told me to not lift anything heavy, get my blood pressure up and not get constipated and strain. This is my second aneursym on the same carotid artery but just a few inches away from the first one. I'm waiting until I talk to my PCP before I go any further, but I don't think I can wait around for 6 months to see what happens.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.