Neurology Community
Carotid Pain after car accident

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Carotid Pain after car accident

12 months ago I was in a car accident (side collision). As Soon as 1 hour after the accident I started exeperiencing the worse headaches of my life, coming from the neck (right side) and affecting the right eye, ear, temple and shoulder. I went to emergency and they made sure I could move the neck and sent me home. For 6 months after the accident I suffered headaches with the same pattern. The pain was coming from the carotid (I didn't know it at the time) , doctors and physios alike thought it was a sore muscle from whiplash. The pain and headaches abated for a while and now they are  back. I went to the doctor and told him I wanted to know what it was, the pain was coming from an artery, I could feel it hard and swollen. He agreed that it was the carotid and it felt hard and bigger than the other side (not by a lot but noticeable). I am scheduled for a doppler ultrasound to see if there is a dissection. If it's not a dissection what could cause such pain coming from the carotid ?  The doctor thinks it's Trigeminal neuralgia but I really don't think so. I know for sure that the pain is a direct cause of the accident and that would not have caused the neuralgia, or would it?
I don't have any kind of neurological symptoms on my face such as pins and needles etc, just pain.

Any advice would be appreciated :)
I also wanted to add that I get dizzy and my head throbs if I bend down and then stand up. I get very tired and I have little energy.