Carotid artery 100% occluded
My father-in-law, age 77,  has recently suffered several TIAs and now one ischemic stroke which has left him unable to speak understandably and noticeably weak and off-balance (he has has several falls).  

His carotids had been monitored semiannually, but the left artery suddenly became 100% occluded (per angiogram or angioplasty - not sure which).

In my research, I understand that once the artery is 100% blocked, nothing can be done.  

One doctor has told us that since the artery is 100% blocked, there would not be any more strokes.  Another doctor inicated that there is definitely a possibility of additional strokes.

Can you please clarify?  Thanks in advance!
my husband is 54 and last year he suffered a small stroke. we found out that he had several strokes before this one we never knew about.his left carotid artery is 100% occluded. he has been put off work permanently because of the chance of the unstable plaque breaking loose and causing a major stroke.if something is in your body that a Dr didn't put there then there is always a chance for problems to occur. the risk of death or possibly a major crippling stroke is so great to try and repair this artery that the dr's just leave it alone. good luck with your journey....