Neurology Community
Carotid artery dissection vs carotid artery stenosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hello!  I am glad to have found this support group.  I first read about this group at medhelp.org.  I had a slip and fall last Nov. 2014, and hit my head on the ground/gravel.  Had CT Scan, but negative for fractures.  Diagnosis were concussion, neck sprain and hematoma.  After few weeks, my headaches and neck pain was so severe and was radiating to my shoulders and arms causing numbness and tingling, and was referred to neurologist.  Neurologist said I had post concussion syndrome.  He requested for MRA for both brain and neck, results came back as possible carotid artery dissection by the radiologist but neuro said carotid stenosis.  Neurologist then suggest to get another MRA in six months, but I went back and saw him after a week due to chronic headaches and neck pain.  He then prescribed neurotin and baby aspirin,and requested for another MRA Intracranial.  I had VNG testing for my dizziness and results came back as labyrinthine concussion and needed vestibular therapy.  But neurologist hold off on the vestibular therapy due to risk of neck movements, saying my condition as suspected carotid artery dissection, he then change my dosage to aspirin 325 mg to prevent blood clot.  I was referred to neurosurgeon, and he said to wait for another 6 months to have another MRA, he stated dissection should heal by itself.  For the meantime, here I am wondering when this carotid artery will popped, I feel like the medications are masking my pain.  Just wondering do I really have to wait 6 months to wait and see if it heals?  Even if I have physical and massage therapy, my headaches and neck pain don't go away, I believe my headaches and neck pain is not post concussion syndrome anymore but CAD.  I used to be active and energetic, after the injury, the pain was draining my energy, it was very depressing, frustrating and disappointing. Who specializes in CAD? Is it neurosurgeon or vascular surgeon.  I was thinking of getting a second opinion, but just wondering if it's norm to wait for 6 months?