Neurology Expert Forum
Carotids patent vertibrals antegrade

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Carotids patent vertibrals antegrade

Had  a carotid ultrasound, a brain eeg and a brain MRI and do not understand my report. Comments say; carotids patent, vertibrals antegrade. What exactly does this mean. I am a 69 yaer old female with no outstanding health isues but have been having lots of dizzeness, jello feeling in my head and waves. Can anyone help me?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is nor can I tell you what the implications of your testing is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

The carotid artery is the artery that arises from the great vessels (the aorta or its branches that come off the heart) and supply blood to a large part of the brain. A patent carotid artery means that the artery is open, it is not narrow or clogged with artherosclerosis (plaque). The vertebral arteries also branch off branches of the aorta and supply the back part of the brain. Antegrade flow means that flow is moving in the right direction, from down (where the heart is) to up (to the brain).

I am not sure what you mean by the term dizziness. When some people use the term dizziness, they often mean vertigo, or room-spinning. Others mean a light-headed, whoozy feeling.

If by dizziness you mean vertigo (room-spinning), the causes could be either the inner ear or the brain. Inner ear causes of vertigo most commonly include benign positional vertigo (BPPV), which is due to small particle in the inner ear that moves out of place, and can be repositioned with simple head maneuvers. The symptoms often include vertigo that occurs with turning of the head, often while turning over in bed. Another cause, if your symptoms are associated with tinnitus (ear ringing) and hearing loss is called Meniere’s disease and can be treated with medications and sometimes surgery. And so on, several other causes from inner ear problems exist.

Vertigo can also have neurologic causes, vertigo can also be due to problems in the brain. The most common is a benign tumor called a schwanoma (also called acoustic neuroma) but an MRI of the brain would show if one were present. Certain types of migraine can also cause intermittent (episodes) of vertigo.

If by dizziness you mean light-headedness, causes could include low blood pressure such as due to dehydration or autonomic dysfunction, cardiac problems, and several other non-neurologic causes. Anemia can cause light-headedness as well.

Continued follow-up with your doctor is recommended, with evaluation by an ENT specialist or a neurologist as deemed necessary by your primary doctor depending on your exact symptoms, history, and your examination.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
Thanks for responding. Neurology Doctor had me on a vertigo medicine that didn't help, also this has been going on since early January. On the test results which I have copies of there are check marks on "patent " and out the bottom it says Comments:   that is where the Carotid patent  vertibrats antegrade is written . The Doctor hasn't called me to give me any insite  on what is goiing on and doesn't seem to interested but I don't have answers. Thanks again. Dee