Neurology Community
Carpal Tunnel to blame for shoulder twitches?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have recently been experiencing a non-painful twitching/fluttering/spasm near or just below my right shoulder/blade.  I do have carpal tunnel syndrome, and although I had open-release surgery in June 2009, I have been experiencing residual symptoms.

I have had two EMG's post surgery; both reveal mild CTS, with virtually no change between July 2010 and February 2011.  My surgeon is contemplating a second release.  We opted to try a cortisone injection first, which I received about a week ago.  Although their has been a slight improvement, I am still experiencing a very dull cold/numbness in my fingers and palm.  

The shoulder twitches began three days ago.  After looking at a visual of the median nerve, I am wondering if their is a correlation between the twitching and the CTS.  The twitching is occurring almost exactly in the same spot as the median nerve(s) in the picture of the shoulder area.

Am I just another foolish Dr. "Google,"  or am I onto something here?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. It has been postulated that proximal forearm and shoulder pain is an associated finding of carpal tunnel syndrome. this has been studied and put forward that apart from the typical pain and paresthesia, wasting of thenar muscles, impaired median nerve sensations, pain spreading upwards from the hands even as far as the shoulder. Review in literature that referred pain is the most likely reason of shoulder pain in the setting of Carpal tunnel syndrome, dependent on the distal nerve fibers. Consult your neurologist and take up the release surgery. Take care.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
I appreciate you speedy response!  The twitches subsided after about 5 days, and now I have a dull, lingering pain in my bicep and upper arm.  I will definitely take your advice and definitely express my interest in a second surgery.  Thanks again!