Neurology Expert Forum
Cavernous Anginoma/Brain Tumor

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Cavernous Anginoma/Brain Tumor

I am 35 years old and recently had a grand maul seizure.  That day I had what I would consider a very bad day.  I had many "day ja vue" feelings, nausea with vomiting, a migraine, and just did not feel well at all.  I had the seizure, from what I'm told, some time around midnight.  The last thing I remember is getting sick around 7 p.m. and going to bed.  I woke up in the hospital, asking for my husband.  I vaguely remember that entire weekend and since that time, have had memory lapses - mostly short term.  I had an EEG which was normal, and 3 MRIs.  The first was a basic MRI, the second I was injected with a dye to show the flow of blood, left and then was called and asked to return later that day for a "special MRI".  The 2nd MRI showed a tumor on my right lobe.  The 3rd showed a cavernous anginoma on my right lobe, which my doctor advised that he was assuming was the correct diagnosis.  I do not like the word "assuming" when it comes to ones health.

My question is this:  I have had migraines for as long as I can remember - since childhood.  I have been active my entire life - no other complications healthwise concerning something of this magnitude.  Why is it that all of a sudden this happened.  I realize that you cannot answer a question with viewing the medical records or the MRIs; however, which would be your best conclusion - tumor or canverous anginoma?
Dear Mrs. Shonkwiler:

Sorry to hear that you have had a seizure and suffer from migraines.  Usually the diagnosis of a cavernous angioma is pretty straight forward with the appearance of "popcorn" as there are areas of bleeding and healing.  Your symptoms are very compatible with a cavernous angiom.  However, a tumor such as an oligodendroglioma is also very commonly associated with your age range (although they tend to be alittle older) and your symptoms.  My guess would be the former.  I would get a second opinion from a good neuroradiologist and just make sure.  Then the next question is what to do.  We usually recommend that you have it surgically removed, if the location is proper.  This is because these type of tumors tend to bleed over time, and the symptoms will progress with more seizures and headaches.   Let us know how things turn out.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD