Neurology Community
Cavernous Angioma of the left Temporal Lobe

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi. I found out about a year ago (after a Grand Mal) that I was born with a cavernous angioma of the left temporal lobe and was immediately put on 1000mgs of Keppra a day. Over the past year my neuro has raised my Keppra dosage to 2000 mgs a day because I was still having various types of lesser seizures. Anway, my question is this....can a cavernous angioma or seizures cause leg and foot cramps? I have been having these horrible cramps for at least 4 years now and subsequently am losing an enormous amount of muscle due to inactivity for fear of more cramps. I have tried taking Cyclobenzaprine for the cramps but I still have serious tightness in the back of my left thigh and calf that leads me to think there is an impending cramp in the midst. I have also tried taking quinine caplets as well as xanax to relax me somewhat because the cramps are so horrible that I have full blown panic attacks when I feel them coming on. Something has GOT to stop this. I have no back pain unless I sit at the pc for too long, so I really don't think it's my back. My feet most of the time feel frozen...I wear socks alot. They also almost feel retarded if that makes any sense at all. Like when I go through this, my foot doesn't want to lift up all the way if I try to get to the bathroom or somwhere. If I didn't know better I would swear that my legs from the knees down are dying.
I would really like some input from anyone that has gone through this or knows anything about it. Thank you in advance for any help. :)
Hi rootvetwife,
I have been searching for the same answers. My 29 year old daughter was diagnosed with the exact same thing over a year ago. She is also on Kreppa 2000 mg. plus they added two other medications for seizures because Kreppa alone didn't control them. Out of the blue, while getting her children(elementary age) ready for school one morning, she had a grand mal. Her children called 911 and we spent all day in the ER only to be told they didn't know why she had a seizure. We were at a total loss. Prior to the onset of this, she was diagnosed with cancer and after a surgical procedure took six months of chemotherapy. We thought perhaps her seizures were somehow connected to this.
But, after seeing a Neurologist she was diagnosed with Venous Angioma and Cavernous Angioma and we were told she had a bleed. I know that Venous Angioma occurs during the embryo stage and I feel as though I am responsible for her problems and constantly looking for answers. As this is in the left temporal lobe of the brain, her speech has been affected and she talks with a slur. As you have described, she is also experiencing problems with her legs and feet as well. She isn’t the same vital and active person she was before this happened to her. I wish I could give you the answer but, I really am at a loss as well. But, I intend to keep searching and if I find it, I will most definitely post it.