Cavernous Hemangioma in Pons/Medulla
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for this service.  My Q is re 81 YO Caucasian mother with PD, Lewy Body Dementia, osteoarthritis.  Relatively healthy for age and disease processes. Exhaustive tests run to rule out causes of sudden onset of extreme sleepiness were all WNL, with exception of thin-slice CT of head with infusion.

"Vascular anomaly" discovered, mainly within the pons and touching the bottom of the medulla. Neuroradiologist told me:  cannot say definitively what type of anomaly, but thinks it is a cavernous hemangioma; not known if congenital or developmental; if developmental, cause unknown; size and location of vessels is abnormal; size/intensity appear slightly more than seen on non-infusion CT done in 2006; not a tumor; not CVA; no evidence of TIA; future bleeding possible but no evidence of current or past bleeding; benign category; unable to determine if this might account for the extreme sleepiness; no treatment to be pursued given site of occurence.

MD has since identified the sleep issue as meds-related, which is a relief. However, I am left with Qs re the CH. I followed the radiologist's explanation, but would like to know about the pragmatic implications for mom's having a CH at this site. What might this mean or involve? Should we be "watching for" or expecting something to occur? What "generally" happens in such cases?

I will appreciate your comments and insights. Thank you, again.

Lin