Neurology Community
Central canal stenosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Central canal stenosis

I have been having pain and stiffness in my neck, upper back and across both shoulders.  I had an MRI of my Cspine and it shows "concentric disc bulging/posterior spondylitic ridging at C5-C6 resulting in mild to moderate central canal stenosis and mild bilateral neuroforaminal stenosis".  They offered a referral to a neurosurgeon. I'm not to fond of having any back surgery unless absolutely necessary.  It doesn't cause unbearable pain at all times, just dull pain but every once in a while it's so back I can't move my head up,down,left or right without unbearable pain.  Is is something that could cause paralysis if nothing done?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. MRI spine shows cervical intervertebral disc prolapsed or degenerative disc disease with cervical stenosis. Correlate if these findings are causing neurological symptoms in the legs and toes. The management includes after analgesics for pain, epidural injection of steroids, physiotherapy, and surgical decompression. MRI spine need to be done to reconfirm and to check for cervical stenosis. This is a slowly progressive condition that pinches spinal cord, with accompanying myelopathy. The symptoms would be heaviness in legs, inability to walk briskly, loss of fine motor skills like buttoning shirt, arm pain and shooting pain in arms and legs. Treatment is immediate decompressive surgery. Hope this help. Consult a neurologist urgently and take care.
Thank you for your response. Yes it does help.   My primary doctor referred me to a neurosurgeon and I have an appointment next Wednesday. I have had some noticable weakness in my arms and legs and at times the feeling of my legs going to sleep just while standing or walking and also some dizziness. I am preparing for the worst (surgery) but hoping for the best (alternative treatments). I was reading on my MRI report and the radiologist mentions that the central canal is narrowed to 7 mm and from what I have found that is half of what it suppose to be. It also mentions the disc bulging indents the anterior cervical cord which doesn't sound real good to me.