Neurology Expert Forum
Central cervical cord compression at c4-c5

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am 8 years post-op for a decompression of my spinal cord at c4-c6; 10 years post-op cervical fusion of c6-c7. I have learned recently that my cord is recompressed at c4-c5 with a central cord compression to an AP of 6mm with edema of the cord and at c5-c6 at 9mm with cord impingement, but no flattening as seen at the c4-5 level. I have seen two neurosurgeons and neither want to operate. I continue to degrade with numbness in my left arm from the foraminal nerve compression on the left side w/ osteophytic growths, as well as, numbeness in my left shoulder blade that has spread to my right and mid-line of my back. My lumbar region shows a diffusely bulging disc at L3-4 and more prominently at L4-5. I have stabbing chest pains that take my breath away and stabbing weakening pains in arms and legs. I also have bladder urgency at times and abdominal spasms that hurt so bad I can not move. I have lost all reflexes in my right arm and have reduced reflexes in my left as well as tricep pain. My legs feel numb when I rise from a sitting position, and sometimes see spots when I sit down. I fight low blood pressure and feelings of nausea, and can not maintain a normal body temperature (96 degrees). My feet sometimes feel like I have broken bones when I walk, and fatigue is a constant battle. My research says that I need to have a decompression surgery and stabilization of the spine, but I can't find a neurosurgeon locally to help. Isn't decompression a must??? And how do I get a surgeon to help me????
Your problem is complex, and I would recommend you be evaluated at a large academic spine center. If you are in the area we have a great center. They will be able to review your prior testing and provide a definitive diagnosis regarding surgery. Good luck.