Neurology Expert Forum
Cerebellum falling

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Cerebellum falling

My doc did a complete brain mri with and w/o contrast, which came back showing that my cerebellum had fell quite a bit. Everyone says it sounds like chari, but they did a scan two yrs ago and it did not show that my cerebellum had fell. He is referring me to a surgeon. Is there any other reason it would fall? Had very bad injury in 98' that took two cervical fusions, front and back which is still ongoing, one more neck surgery to go, Yea!  His PA was going over the results with me and told me it wasn't suppose to move, but that it might not be a tumor, or herniation. Can a tumor be there and the mri not pick it up, or is it possible to get chari just because it moved in the past two yrs? To be honest, I couldn't understand exactly what his PA was saying, her English is still not the best, but she did keep saying "Your cerebellum is not suppose  to move." Any info appreciated.

Dana Francis
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

You mention that your cerebellum has fallen on an MRI. Did the radiologist or physician tell you exactly how much it has fallen?

Chiari malformation is an abnormal extension of the cerebellar tonsils (a structure in the posterior brain) through a hole in the skull called the foramen magnum. It is often asymptomatic or may present with headache, cranial nerve problems, sleep apnea, or hearing/vestibular problems. One associated feature with chiari’s is its association with syringomyelia, which is dilatation of the central canal in the spinal cord.

If not done, I would recommend that you have your neck imaged with MRI. You may also be a candidate for special imaging called phase-contrast MRI to examine the CSF flow. It is unlikely that you would have a tumor causing a Chiari that was not seen on the MRI.

The cause of the low lying cerebellum could be genetics/development or it could be trauma induced since you do have a prior surgical procedure that may lead to a CSF leak.

I agree that you should follow up with a surgeon who specializes in Chiari malformations.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.