Neurology Community
Cerebral-Spinal Fluid leak through the Nose

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My wife had Cerebral Fluid leak through her right nostril. She was operated by an Otolaryngologist in 2007. He put a patch and did the surgery entering through the nose. A Nurologist had also put a spinal tap to drain off the excess spinal fluid. The surgeon told us that it is necessary to releave pressure on the patch. It seemed to work well and she had no problems for a ahile. However, in November of 2009 she started leaking through the same hole and the drip was from the same nostril.  The same ENT surgeon did the surgery but did not put the spinal tap. After the surgery he came out and told me evrything went well. But in the recovery my wife was having problems with her lung functions, her oxygen level was low. The nurse was trying to do verything to bring up the oxygen level. At that time we realized that she was dripping through the same nostril. Next day the surgeon told me that she is leaking and he wants to put the spinal tap to reduce pressure on the new patch. My question that after they put the spinal tap, should the Otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon) redo the patch?