Neurology Expert Forum
Cervical Disk Herniation
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cervical Disk Herniation

I am a 43 year old woman, in February 2000 (16 months ago) I developed a very bad stiff neck.  This was diagnosed (through MRI) as a disk bulge/herniation at the C5-6 level and a mild disc bulge at C4-5.  An X-Ray showed degenrative changes at C5-6 with large bone spurs.  I was prescribed (in order) (1) Anti-inflammatories & Muscle Relaxers, (2) Physical Therapy (3) Traction.  The neck problem improved to a tolerable level of chronic pain.

In February 2001 (3 months ago), I developed a bad pain/itching inside my shoulder blades, about 1/2 inch down and 3 inches out from my C7 bump.  This pain is on both sides, but is worse on the left side.  The pain also radiates mildly down my left arm.  My doctor ordered another MRI which showed that my C5-6 disc herniation had gotten worse (From MRI Report "At the C5-6 level, there is a central/leftward herniated disc which effaces the thecal sac and contacts the left aspect of the cord").  I have no neurological symptoms.

My doctor recommended surgery (spinal fusion/disc removal).  He said there was a 90% chance that this would significantly improve my symptoms.  I got a second opinion from another doctor who said that because the worst pain (inside the shoulder blades) was in such an unusual place, he wasn't sure that surgery would help.

I do not know which doctor to listen to.  Also, how likely is it that my worst pain (inside the shoulder blades) is caused by my disc problem/bone spurs and would be improved by surgery.