Cervical Laminoplasty for congenital cervical canal stenosis
My husband had C5-6 fusion 7 years ago. He has started having more neck and arm pain recently. A visit to the doctor revealed congenital canal stenosis and the doctor is recommending laminoplasty at levels C3-7. He says the surgery is not necessary right now but there is a risk of spinal cord injury unless he gets it done. My husband is 40 years old and  strong and healthy. We want to have kids soon and feel that he may do better with the surgery now than if we wait 1, 5, or 10 years from now.
This is a big surgery and we are not looking forward to it if it does not have to be done. Is there anyone out there who has had the surgery who can tell us what it's really like afterwards (3 months, 1 year, 3 years later)?
And doctors: What are the risks? Will he have normal movement of his neck.
Thanks for your help!
Hello Dear,

With more than 3 disk levels, the nonfusion rate and morbidity rate are significantly higher Surgery for spinal decompressive laminectomy is a relatively safe procedure.The more common complications include wound infection, cerebrospinal fluid leak, and iatrogenic injury to neural structures. Long-term complications can include spinal instability.
As expected, the anterior approach to the cervical spine carries a greater risk of complications.
The rate of nonunion is significantly higher in long-term smokers and with multilevels of fusion. The risk of complications increases with greater levels of decompression and in patients with other medical conditions, such as diabetes, and long-term steroid use.

I would recommend you to undergo conservative treatment
Refer http://www.emedicine.com/MED/topic2889.htm#section~Treatment

Best