Neurology Community
Cervical Spinal Fusion Chronic Pain
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cervical Spinal Fusion Chronic Pain

I just want to say I am glad that I am NOT alone in experiencing the chronic pain after having anterior cervical spinal fusion!  I had my surgery in Nov 2005 and the pain is now worse than ever, the tingling and numbness have returned to my right arm and hand, my hands also do not work at all!  I am currently waiting to get social security disability as I too cannot sit for very long without it causing great pain.  As to the swallowing issue, yes I have trouble swallowing and also have choked more easily since the surgery has been done.  One time, I nearly thought I was choking to death!  I have had to learn to use a straw or drink more slowly to prevent this from happening!  And no, my Surgeon did not tell me any of this until AFTER the surgery and they got paid from the insurance company! I am fortunate to have a very good Family Physician who understands the pain I am in, and has bent over backwards to keep me as comfortable as possible!  I have had as many steroidal epidurals in my spine as they dare do without causing more damage.  I am now basically just living with this condition the best anyone can.  If it weren't for the pain meds, I would not be able to function on any level.  As far as the depression associated with chronic pain, I have the love and help of family and friends to get me through the rough times.  

I have also been told that I will need another surgery eventually to put rods in place of the plate put in during the 1st surgery.  I will put that off as long as possible though, because had I known about the complications the 1st time. I would not have had that done when it was done.  It seemed to me, that they were more interested in my insurance coverage as they checked that before even making an appointment with the surgeon!

But, thank you all for your posts! It makes me realize that I am not alone. That I am not imagining my symptoms, that they are real!  I feel validated for the 1st time since my surgery in 2005!