Cervical Spine Surgery
I'm a year post cervical laminectomy C3-C7 with instrumental fusion to relieve symtoms of cervical myeolapthy and stenosis, as well as stabilization of my cervical spine.  I'm a 25 year-old male and have been living with cervical spine problems since I was 16.  I was diagnosed with degenerative disk disease at this age as well.  I've always been a very active person.

My road to recovery has been one of ups and downs.  I've seen my neurosurgeon numerous times since the surgery and all my MRI's look "really good."  My spinal cord has significant room, spinal fluid is very present, and the fusion was a complete success.  However,  I still have symtoms of tingling in both hands occassionally, with muscle strain, occassional slight numbness in my fingers and hands.  In addition, I still have periods of tightness and dull pain in my lower cervical spine area, which cause headaches and migranes.  

My question is whether these symptoms are normal at this point?  Because of the compression on my spinal cord, my surgeon says a lot of my symptoms can still be attributed to that, as it can take two years for spinal cord to show improvement.  But, again just looking for another opinion on whether these symtoms are normal a year after this type of surgery.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.        
Hi Philips,

I agree with you neurologist. There could be residual symptoms even after successful surgical fusion of the vertebrae.
Hi Philips,

Hi Philips,

I do not have the extent of surgery as you have had-- but I did have fusion done on c5 and c6. I felt great for a year, then oddly enough- on the anniversery of my surgery I began to have symptoms worse than prior to my surgery. Even my jaw is being affected, which is a whole new symptom for me. My doctor had me go in and have a MRI and a MRI contrast of the base of skull all the way to the shoulders.
According to him, some symptoms will always be present. It is when they increase and become daily and interrupt quality of life that a patient needs to seek advice. It could be something else for all we know. Never be afraid to ask, and if need be, it is ok to seek second opinions. I should have my results by this Wensday, and I am a nervous wreck!