Cervical Stenosis Symptoms Unilateral or Bilateral?
Would your symptoms be bilateral or unilateral? If you have symptoms from cervical stenosis such as leg weakness, arm weakness, parasthesia, bladder symptoms etc, which is more common, unilateral or bilateral symptoms? I have a bulging disk at C5/C6 touching the anterior cord w/ moderate cervical stenosis and am trying to figure out if my symptoms are related to that.  I was looked at closely for MS but all studies are neg.  My symptoms are primarily right sided but a little on the left too.  Symptoms come on x 2 mo or so then go away.  

cz
Hello.

It depends on the extent of disc protrusion. In most cases, the disc protrusion is either right or left. The symptoms will be accordingly right or left sided. Some cases do have central protrusion, with bilateral symptoms.

Do you have many of these symptoms ?

Regards
Yes I have leg weakness w/ parasthesia primarily on the right side w/ spasticity, and hyperreflexes, and severe electric shocks that shoot right through to my toes! I also have right arm weakness and parasthesia w/ occassional parasthesia of left arm. I have had a couple episodes of bladder urgency x 3 days (needing to urinate over 30 times in a day!) I've also had vibration sensations and clumbsy episodes w/ my hands too. I have Llermettes as well.  I had Optic Neuritis 9/07 and was worked up for MS but all was neg.  I had a head on MVA in 2002  resulting in cervical stenosis which was mild in 2003.  So, I'm wondering if these symptoms are the stenosis?  Why wouldn't the Neuro tell me these results I'm not sure. I found out when I got copies of my records.  The symptoms resolve after 2 months or so, then I'm good for a month or 2 then they come back again.  I'm in nursing school right now and wonder if this can wait till I graduate or should I address it now?  THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help!

cz
just bumping it back to pg 1
bumping it up
Hi.

I can't say if the right sided symptoms are only due to the cervical compression. but there are high chances that they are due to the compression.

Now, since you have had optic neuritis and Lhermitte's sign, this raises a question about MS. A normal brain MRI does not rule out MS. Normal lab reports may also be seen in early MS.

Please keep in mind, though, that the Lhermitte's sign is also seen in cervical myelopathy (myelo=spinal cord).

There is no wisdom in waiting till graduation. You should get this issue solved as soon as possible, so that appropriate treatment can be initiated soon. With the added directions, you can call on the Neurologist and ask for options.

Regards