Neurology Expert Forum
Cervical fusion C5-7

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Cervical fusion C5-7

In 1998 a filing cabinet fell forward on me. There were computer printouts stored on top that hit me in the face and jerked my head back. I went for PT and was released. In 2000 I lifted files overhead and felt a pulling/tingling feeling go down my neck and into my shoulder. Since the earlier accident I had trouble with my R shoulder and needed surgery on my rotator cuff. It was determined that my neck pain was coming from my shoulder. Was released, but last year started having more pain and spasms in my neck and pain in my R shoulder. Have arthritis in my shoulder. I sit in front of a computer all day and have neck pain while working and while sleeping at night. Had 3 months of PT. Had an mri that showed C5-6 is herniated with mild mass effect on spinal cord. EMG says no nerve damage. Had a discography/cat scan that showed painful right C6-7 disc herniation is considered the cause of the pain in my neck, and shoulder blades. Saw an ortho spine dr and was told to think about surgery. I have an appt with a neuro-surgeon later this month. I am not sleeping well, have changed my computer mouse to the left side, driving bothers me, can't look toward the floor w/o pain. Wearing a bra is painful and uncomfortable. Typing at a computer all day is painful. I have weakness and pain in my bicep/tricep. Am taking muscle relaxers and pain medication (darvacet) but it makes my stomach upset and causes dizziness. What is your suggestion? Should I have both C5-6 & C6-7 fused? I am usually very active and would like to return to a normal life. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.
please see my reply on Feb 3rd
I just went through my second cervical discectomy and spinal fusion within the past 9 months--now I have a plate and screws holding fusions in place at C5-C7. Apparently it's not unusual to develop another herniation above or below the previous fusion, but I'm told it's very unusual to develop another herniation within 4 1/2 months of the first one. I'm three weeks postop and doing OK, just sick of wearing a c-collar and unable to lift anything or drive--a very boring life right now! My surgeon says my first fusion looked perfect, so I have no reason to think this second one will be any different. I am not yet recommending this to anyone, though I got to the point where I couldn't take the pain and numbness despite trying all conservative measures. Oddly, after the first discectomy, my symptoms were gone right away, but after this one, I am still experiencing a lot of neck and arm pain, as well as some occasional finger numbness. My surgeon says this is normal. Anyone else with any experience like this?
I was in a serious car crash on 9-11-04. my drivers door was hit going 45-50 MPH. At the ER I was told my hip or pelvis was not broken, just had contusions and was released. Saw my primary doc on day 3. He said my L SI was off so I needed ajustments and to go to the chiropractor and to rest, MY whole body hurt at that point, I was really out of it. and had a terrible headache that lasted several days. I was to follow-up in 2 weeks. which by that time I felt much worse.
My injuries were and are mainly on my left side.
I went through the neck pain, shoulder pain and radiating pain down my arm. I felt like I hit my funny bone constantly. stiff neck, painful between shoulder blades...ETC.
I did and still do have the arm/hand weakness, heaviness and numbness. the numbness is maily in my L hand pinky and ring fingers and that side of hand into the forearm. my thumb and other fingers feel different, like in the grip postition,etc.
very weak. I was very limited on range of motion, and still am restricted in some ways. Not able to reach behind body or above my head. My elbow aches occasionally. unable to rest on a table.
After the first MRI we found that I had a Large C5/6 disk protrusion that was compressing my nerves/cord and mild bulging in C3/4 and C4/5. After conservitive treatment, oral meds, oral Steroid, PT and Chiropractor adjustments. I underwent Anterior Cervical Distecomy w/ spinal fusion on C5/6. in mid Oct 04. I wore the hard collar for weeks. I hated not being able to wash or brush my hair. My scalp felt so sore. I had to wear the hard collar in the shower... 24hrs/day. I am currentlty in PT and go to the Chiropractor 3-4 times a week since the accident. I also have mild herniated disks in my lumbar spine that causes sciatica down my left leg. my L buttock is still sore, back side of leg aches and knee feels torn occasionally pain goes into foot! I have mid and lower back pain daily.
I have had 3 Epidural steroid spinal injections which have given my some relief. I am still under care from my Neurosurgeon in Milwaukee. Currently one of my biggest complaints is the Left arm/hand and my L shoulder.My shoulder is very painful and I feel restricted to movement.I had an MRI on my shoulder, but it only showed inflamation (inflammation) and fluid~ Tendonitis. My PT thinks I may have initail stages of frozen shoulder. My chiropractor believes it is related to my neck. My primary physician hasn't really said, only that the trauma done and neck injury caused the nerve compression,etc...  I have been off of work and at this point am unsure if I will beable to resume that position. Any feedback, injury related progress would be greatly appreciated.
I also appreciate any "opinions" that can be shared. Thanks!