Neurology Expert Forum
Cervical fusion failure

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Cervical fusion failure
Have had a multilevel cervical fusion C3 through C5.  Cadiver bone was used as spacers. One cadiver graft did not take.  What happens to that bone?  Does it just sit there? Does it deteriorate? Can it slip out? It has been almost 2 years since the surgery.  Doctor states I now need rods to stablize neck but never said what happened to the bone.  Thank you.
The bone should remain in place. It is no removed by the body. When and if they perform the stabilization they may remove it. I hope this answers your question. Good luck.
Did an orthopod or neuro do your fusion? I was advised to choose an orthopod specializing in spines only, He took a piece of live bone from my pelvic bone and used that instead to do my fusion. live bone to live bone heals much faster. The hip hurts like a son of agun for a few weeks but it fused quickly.
It was a neurosurgeon that did the multi fusion.  I now am under the care of an orthopedic spine specialist at a famous university center.
jan
Very interesting.  When I was getting evaluated for c-spine surgery it was by a neurosurg and orthosurg.  They would be a team and the ortho would do the fusion.

I hope all works out well for you.