Neurology Community
Chari Malformation Type 1 help?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Chari Malformation Type 1 help?

have been diagnosed with Chari malformation type 1 and have been looking on the net to try and find out more. Only thing is that all these different sites seem to tell me different info so I was wondering if anyone here knew…?

-Will the symptoms progress and how quickly? (I curerently suffer with headaches, neck and arm pain, numb/tingly feet and legs, hiccups, dizziness, occasional black outs.)
-Can I lead a normal life if I don't have surgery?
- How successful is the surgery on average?
-How common is the condition?
-Can it lead to any other problems?
- I have heard it can cause weight gain, is this true?
-I have also been diagnosed with Cognitive disc disease – could this be caused by the Chiari? Is Cognitive Disc Disease the same as degenerative disc disease?

And any other info at all would be much appreciated

Thank you

Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi,

How are you?
Chiari 1 malformation is caused by herniation of cerebellar tonsills through the foramen magnum into the cervical canal. The progression of the disease is not clearly understood. Some patients are asymptomatic and remain so throughout their lives while others develop symptoms like headaches, dizziness, and difficulty in swallowing etc.
Early detection and diagnosis is important.
Surgical therapy for chiari consists of either local decompression or diversion of CSF. Approximately the success rate is around 70%.
Hope this helps!
Blank
644950_tn?1240624231
How are you?

I Just had surgery on sept 8,2008 chiari 1 malformation my heeling process is getting better everyday I was in alot of pain after the surgery but for the most part i am doing very good
Blank
Hi Keesha,
I was wondering if I could ask how you are doing? I am due to have surgery soon and would love to know if your symptoms have improved.
Lisa
Blank
620923_tn?1413427272

Hi neone with Chiari should join the Chiari Malformation forum here on MedHelp.....http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Chiari-Malformation/show/257?controller=forums&action=show&id=257&camp=msc

And we will be happy  to offer support and share our Chiari journey with u.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank