Neurology Community
Cheek Numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Cheek Numbness

I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow 10/27.  Should I be asking to see a specialist or go to ER today?  What may be causing this numb sensation?

I have had some numbness in my left cheek/face for about 5 or six days.  It does not change any.  It is not severe but definitely noticeable. I feel it in my lower lip a little bit as well.  It is most noticeable when I read books to my four year old at night.  I feel it all the time though.  I have been wondering if it could be due to tooth issues. I have had some sensitivity in my upper teeth lately.  But not severe pain.  And only with hot or cold food/drink.  This is normal for me since I think I brush my teeth too hard and hurt my gums at times.  My teeth do not hurt from tapping them or chewing though.

I have had other numbness sensations in my lower body/legs for which I had an MRI but my doctor found nothing abnormal.  Those problems have pretty well subsided and I am much better than before.  I have been able to return to my normal jogging routine 2-3 times a week.  And I racked it up to some kind of pinched nerve issue from sitting most of the day at the office.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
There are numerous causes of cheek numbness. Some of them are-Anxiety panic syndrome, Sinus problem, Salivary gland cancer, Compression of the Facial nerve, Brain tumour and many others. Please wait for the doctor appointment. Basic investigations may lead you a diagnosis. Please go for a CT scan of the head to get a specific diagnosis. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!
Ok, so I've had an MRI/MRA and it was "normal".  Also they did scan of my carotids and it was normal.  My doctor's initial thought b4 any testing was that this may be an over sensitive nerve.  My optometrist recommended I see a neuro-opthamologist (spelling?) after getting the MRA results.  The tingling sensation has moved throughout my left side of my face...cheeks, lips, tongue, and now my nose the last few days. I have noticed the last few days that the sensation in my lips/cheek can be triggered by chewing on hard foods like popcorn or chips.  My eyes also feel dry/sore/tired and I have a light headed feeling most of the day...weird feeling around my scalp.  Bloodwork revealed nothing abnormal.  Glucose is normal.  So, I am wondering if this could be a damaged nerve or something like that?  Should I see a 'neur-op' or a neurologist?  Please help...these sensations are driving me crazy.