Child Astrocytoma
My best friends daughter has Astrocytoma. She will be three on May 8. She had the tumor removed from her spine, but they seem to think it is regrowing and spreading. I want to do some research about this because the doctors want to put her on Radiation, or Kimo, and my friend does not want her daughter to suffer this painful treatment. They say it is too risky to go back in and remove the tumor... What should we do.  I want her to get a second and third oppinion, who do we go too. This little girl has been through so much, we want some understandable answers. Anyone that can respond and give me some answers will be great. Thank you in advance.

Jodi
Hi Jodi,
I can understand your feelings towards this little girl. I feel sorry that she has to go through all this.
I assume that your friends daughter was diagnosed as having Astrocytoma after biopsy report.
Astrocytomas are the most common pediatric brain tumors and account for approximately 40% of cases.
Before I proceed further to tell you about the malignancy part of astrocytoma, I would like to know what grade is Astrocytoma on biopsy report.
Have they reported as child having Juvenile pilocytic astrocytoma?
Malignant Astrocytomas are much less common in childhood accounting for only 7-10 % of all tumors.
Radiation therapy and chemotherapy needs to be given even in low grade astrocytoma.
Tumor which are recurring shoudl be treated with chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
Hope this helps.
Keep me informed about her health in general and about her tumor per se.
Bye.