Neurology Community
Child who has inoperatible brain tumor

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Child who has inoperatible brain tumor

Hi there. I have concern for other children as well as my own. I guess it comes more now because I worry about my son too much and his health.  I am over protective.  Well anyway I have an old friend who has a small child the child is around 7 and he was diagnosed with a brain tumor on the brain stem.  They say where we live that it is inoperative that he is given 6 - 9 months to live, if that.  My question is why can't they operate on the brainstem? What about laser surgery? Isn't there anything? I know that Cleveland and other places are excellent in this field. They helped my dad and he is healthy again after being told at another hospital near us to go home and make funeral arrangements! Cleveland said his cancer was operatable but here they said no.  We are thankful we have our dad today!  

Anyway is there nothing that can be done on the brainstem? I really need to know.  I am wondering if there is somewhere they can go besides around here to get help in this.  They and everyone around them are praying for this child to get a miracle!
p.s. I don't know whether I did right or not but everytime I see that child's picture it makes me sad and I emailed my friend (the aunt) and asked her if they thought of getting a second opinion on whether surgery could be performed.  I read an article on it on Cleveland's website and it looks as though surgery can be performed.  I don't know how bad his is but maybe they can get an opinion. To me it would be worth every penny even if I had to take out a loan to take my child to at least see if it is possible or not because you will not know if you don't try.  I took my son to 3 different doctors before I found one to diagnose him correctly with his illness.  Now he is on medication and doing much much better than he was in the first few months!