Neurology Expert Forum
Child with Basil Ganglia dysfunction
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Child with Basil Ganglia dysfunction

I am currently babysitting for a seven-year-old child.  He has basil ganglia dysfunction.
  He still wears pull-ups at bed, has social problems, and at times, acts in a way a child much younger than him would behave. He seems to exhibit behaviors similar to autism and attention deficit disorder.
  Could you please tell me more about this dysfunction and how it can affect children? I hope this child will not have these same problems at 15 or 16. What are some common symptoms and behaviors? He is otherwise a very intelligent little boy. I'm just curious as to what is going on.
  Thanks.
Related Discussions

_

Dear Kristen:
It is good that you are concerned about the child you are baby-sitting.  Without knowing the full history from pregnancy to now, doing a physicial exam, getting a good history from the parents about their medical history, it is almost impossible to tell you what the etiology of the basal ganglia dysfunction and therefore the prognosis for the future.  There are many things that can give a person developmental delay and basal ganglia dysfunction (genetic, toxins, infections, truama, endocrine, neoplasms, drugs, vascular diseases, metabolic diseases and the "I don't know what this is" disease.  Sorry I couldn't help you more.
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro[P] MD

Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979