Chronic Denervation/Cauda Equina Syndrome/ etc.
Hi, I am a 26 year old male who, until recently, was in good health.  In April of 2011 I suffered an accident at work. I was diagnosed with disc bulges between L2-L5 and a disc herniation between L5-S1 with sciatic impingement. I tried physical therapy and received one epidural steroid injection before developing Cauda Equina Syndrome and was required to have an emergency microlaminectomy and discectomy in July 2011. Post-op I went through another few months of physical therapy without much change. I have muscle atrophy in my left leg as well as tremors, numbness and tingling, and intermittent drop foot. I have not been back to physical therapy since Dec 2011 and am scheduled to see a pain management doctor in the first week of April 2012.

My question is about an EMG I had in February of this year. I am months out from my neurosurgery follow up and my curiosity is getting the best of me. In the EMG/NCV results, the neurologist explanation was this-

EMG Findings
1. EMG shows evidence of irritability and chronic denervation as well as some recurrent new denervation in what appears to be the L5-S1 distribution on the left.
2. Nerve conduction studies, both motor and sensory, of the legs are normal.

Diagnostic Impression
Electrodiagnostic studies show evidence chronic changes from the previous surgery. In addition, however, the patient has noted irritability and what appears to be early or new denervation at L5-S1 on the left consistent with either recurrent root pathology or disc pathology with root compression at this level.

Can you tell me what this all means and if denervation is reversible. Thank you for any help you can offer.