Neurology Expert Forum
Chronic Headache solutions

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Chronic Headache solutions

My son has had chronic headaches since he was 8 years old.  He threw a rock in the air, which landed with the sharp end down and caused a mild concussion.  Neurologists and neurosurgeons we have seen discount this event as a trigger or a reason for his headaches.  When I have asked about possible nerve damage, they say maybe, but they do not indicate there is a solution.
His headaches are constant, and always on one, the other or both temple areas.

My son has been on numerous drugs, from Inderol, to Nortriptylene, 5000mg/day of Neurontin, and now weaned of Neurontin and on Topomax (topamax).  On a scale of 1-10, his headaches stay at a 3 for the most part, and go up to a 7 on bad days.  He is sensitive to light and noise.  He was diagnosed at one time with drusen on the optic nerve, no venus pulsations. He has a slight enlargement of the ventricles but not out of the ordinary.  When we thought it was pseudo tumor cerebri, he was on diamox for a period.  We have ruled out pressure issues through two intercranial pressure monitors.

What if it is nerve damage as a result of the rock?  He is 16 now.  Is there another test than the usual MRI (which does not show nerve damage)that would indicate the cause.  I want to try anything to get to the bottom of this so he can live a headache-free life.

I will bring him up to Cleveland or to any teaching institution.  So many doctors are just into pain management rather than helping us find the answer and a cure.

Please help.
Your sons case is very complex, and I can not offer a diagnosis over the internet. However, in considering his case it sounds as if the injury he suffered at age 8 is probably unrelated. You did not state when the headaches started to occur in relation to the rock incident. If there was damage caused by the incident the MRI's should have disclosed it.

By description your son falls into the chronic daily headache category. Possible disorders which could cause this include tension type headaches, analgesic overuse headaches (more then 2-3 doses of ibuprofen, aleve, tylenol etc. /week), and migraine. It sounds like pseudotumor has been effectively ruled out.

If you would like we have an excellent Pediatric Neurologist, Dr. A. David Rothner, who specializes in pediatric headaches. If you do decide to come to Cleveland please bring all of your records and the actual MRI films for Dr Rothner's review. This will maximize your visit.

Good luck