Neurology Expert Forum
Chronic Headache solutions
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Chronic Headache solutions

My son has had chronic headaches since he was 8 years old.  He threw a rock in the air, which landed with the sharp end down and caused a mild concussion.  Neurologists and neurosurgeons we have seen discount this event as a trigger or a reason for his headaches.  When I have asked about possible nerve damage, they say maybe, but they do not indicate there is a solution.
His headaches are constant, and always on one, the other or both temple areas.

My son has been on numerous drugs, from Inderol, to Nortriptylene, 5000mg/day of Neurontin, and now weaned of Neurontin and on Topomax (topamax).  On a scale of 1-10, his headaches stay at a 3 for the most part, and go up to a 7 on bad days.  He is sensitive to light and noise.  He was diagnosed at one time with drusen on the optic nerve, no venus pulsations. He has a slight enlargement of the ventricles but not out of the ordinary.  When we thought it was pseudo tumor cerebri, he was on diamox for a period.  We have ruled out pressure issues through two intercranial pressure monitors.

What if it is nerve damage as a result of the rock?  He is 16 now.  Is there another test than the usual MRI (which does not show nerve damage)that would indicate the cause.  I want to try anything to get to the bottom of this so he can live a headache-free life.

I will bring him up to Cleveland or to any teaching institution.  So many doctors are just into pain management rather than helping us find the answer and a cure.

Please help.